corning my own beef

Breakfast (grain) nirvana...

I loves me a greasy fat and cholesterol-laden breakfast, but realize I need to keep that to a minimum, so ..... I've always also enjoyed grain-based breakfast stuff like granola and muesli with fresh or dried fruit, etc, so that's the default choice nowadays. But the cost of that stuff is ridiculous. A local bakehouse makes a granola that's excellent -- if I want to shovel out $8+/lb for the stuff. I can get granola in bulk at a local market (good but not great) for about half the cost. But still pricey, and I always asked myself, "I wonder how long that stuff has been sitting in that bin?". So a few weeks ago I started making my own granola. Not particularly difficult, all ingredients easily available, I can tweak the flavor to my own liking and cut the cost way, way down. Big win.

I like to mix granola and muesli about 50/50, and still cringed when I had to buy muesli -- also really expensive. So I started reading the labels ..... oats, wheat, triticale, rye, flax, seeds, nuts .... nothing exotic here, I just need one of those kitchen gizmoids that takes whole kernel grains and smushes them into "rolled" grain. So I ordered a grain flaker and went to the market and bought the grains and other ingredients.

Last night I finally got around to making my first batch of homemade muesli. Rolled four grains and added some nuts, seeds and fruit. Oh. My. Gawd..... way better than I expected.

First, freshly rolled grains actually have great FLAVOR! Who'da thunk it? A lot of store-bought rolled oats have been lightly steamed (so they cook easier), but not much flavor remains. Freshly rolled not only has a much better texture (not paper-thin), but actually taste good! Add in the other grains, some chopped almonds, sunflower seeds, raisins and cranberries ..... wow. Just wow. Maybe not a substitute for thick-cut bacon, but damned close....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

It's not TOO Cold!
    Just add sausage!!

It is amazing how much flavor is lost in processing of food stuffs. And how easy it is to make your own. Sure it takes time and some expense for equipment. But it beats sitting on the couch, watching TV.
    “Some truths are eternal, you can’t go high on a prop!” - BBC Commentator, France @ England 6 Nations Rugby. 02/26/2011

Zaphod Beeblebrox
    link to grain flaker plz.!

I've made granola several times, I like that you can add dried fruit or nuts to suit your taste and can control the amount of sugar (to a point), salt, and oil.

Try this one if you like Nutella, this tastes like Nutella cereal. I couldn't keep my kids out of it.

http://www.foodinjars.com/2011/01/co...elnut-granola/

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by DLMKA
    link to grain flaker plz.!

I've made granola several times, I like that you can add dried fruit or nuts to suit your taste and can control the amount of sugar (to a point), salt, and oil.

Try this one if you like Nutella, this tastes like Nutella cereal. I couldn't keep my kids out of it.

http://www.foodinjars.com/2011/01/co...elnut-granola/
    There are four or five flakers that appear to make up a majority of the market. From fairly cheap Norpro (Shule)

To Kitchen Maid attachment: Motorized flaker

To pricier: Marga Mulino Flaker That’s apparently one of the most popular.

To more $$ and nicer craftsmanship: Schnitzer wood-body flaker

I got the Schnitzer on the recommendation of someone who has had one "forever, it's always worked great.."

I haven't broken down a good cost comparison yet, but the grains are less than $1/lb.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.