Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Breaking Bad has belatedly pwoned me

I know there's a thread about this show somewhere........it's been running on AMC and we've started watching the hell out of it. Only up to about season 3. It's riveting. Can't look away........

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    That show is addictive. Still the best tv series of all time, imo.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    My wife and I discovered that show during the government shutdown some years ago (we both work for Trump). Watched the whole series is a week. It just keeps getting better and better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We got Netflix (well, free trial) just so we can watch these in order commercial-free. It's one of the few shows I can pay attention to without being on the computer at the same time.

It's got a lot of soap-opera elements that make it addictive, but with a twist. SO much fun.

Still waiting......
    Feb 2004
    Yep - I'm on my second pass through it. I watch while on the rowing machine.

It's my favorite series, ever.
    I am biased, as I grew up in ABQ, so I know a lot of the places in the show.
    The car wash has been around forever.
    My high school is used in a number of episodes.
    Hank's house is in an expansion of my old neighborhood.
    Been to "Pollo's"
    Jesse's aunt's house is in the neighborhood where one of my HS teachers lived.
    etc etc etc
    AKA - Go Dot

Proud luddite
    My wife and I absolutely love the show...its our favorite by far. Get ready for increased intensity in season 4 and then season 5 will blow your mind. I am excited for you, knowing this is your first time watching it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I saw all of it after the fact in short order too. Glad I missed it originally because waiting a week or between seasons to see the next one would have sucked.
    Definitely mind blowing at times.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    My wife and I absolutely love the show...its our favorite by far. Get ready for increased intensity in season 4 and then season 5 will blow your mind. I am excited for you, knowing this is your first time watching it.
    yeah it starts strong and keeps getting better. I don't want to get specific and mention any give aways but the whole "hank' character and how that plays out is right up there among all the greats twists and turns.

half-fast
    We watched the show after the fact also. Some nights after 3 or 4 episodes, we'd stumble upstairs and be really sorry the next day at work.

And then we would do it again. It's pretty compelling. Sometimes hard to watch. Hold on tight.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Excellent show. But try Better Call Saul. lt is even better.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I saw all of it after the fact in short order too. Glad I missed it originally because waiting a week or between seasons to see the next one would have sucked.
    Definitely mind blowing at times.
    That was exactly my thought when I watched the whole series in a week or so. Must have really been painful in between seasons. A week would have been bad enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    We watched the show after the fact also. Some nights after 3 or 4 episodes, we'd stumble upstairs and be really sorry the next day at work.

And then we would do it again. It's pretty compelling. Sometimes hard to watch. Hold on tight.
    We basically did the same thing, guzzle watched the series. We tried to keep it to one episode a night... couldn't do it, turned out to be more like 3-4 per night.
    Excellent show!

Welcome to the jungle
    Very good show. I came to it late, was totally surprised by it, then promptly got addicted.

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Excellent show. But try Better Call Saul. lt is even better.
    the first season of BB was excellent, the second and third were good, but kind of lost interest in the last two...the final episode was utter crap.

and yeah, altho the character of Chuck gets a bit tiresome at times, BCS is a more entertaining show.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I was late to BB as well. I watched it the last time AMC marathoned it and really enjoyed it. It hasn't been long enough for me to be ready to watch it again this run but I could see watching it again at some point.

Another AMC show I've been enjoying is Into the Badlands. I wasn't sure if anybody else agreed with me on that one but it looks like it not only got the thumbs-up for season 3 but is getting expanded to a full 16 episodes as well.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    One of the greatest series of all time. Five seasons worth of a continous linked ongoing story. That in of itself is almost unimaginable. Its last couple of episode was the cherry on top as it provided an outstanding ending befitting the five years of episodes that led up to the end.

Too often otherwise good to oustanding series of mediocre to terrible endings. (Think St. Elsewhere as the worst ending of all time for an otherwise TV Hall of Fame Series.)

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Normally, my wife and I can serial-watch shows, a few per night. We could only watch about 3 episodes of BB before getting overwhelmed...It's a stressful show to watch! And, for reference, we also serially-watched shows like Dexter and Grey's Anatomy.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    Another AMC show I've been enjoying is Into the Badlands. I wasn't sure if anybody else agreed with me on that one but it looks like it not only got the thumbs-up for season 3 but is getting expanded to a full 16 episodes as well.
    I haven't seen Badlands.
    I can't imagine ever ranking any show along side Breaking Bad but: Fargo was a decent attempt and worth seeing IMO. Better Call Saul it right up there so far.
    And it's only had one season but Snowfall looks really promising. Fargo and Snowfall are FX shows.

I also like Hault and Catch Fire but that's a different genre from twisted like Breaking Bad.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Not that I watch every TV series that comes down the pipe by a long shot, but I have to say that Mad Men (with Game of Thrones as an honorable mention) is the best show I've ever seen in my 60+ years of TV watching.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There are nights when I wish they'd stop showing episodes, AMC runs them from around 5pm until 1am or so.......

John usually goes to bed early, because he's up around 5am for work, but the other night he was up until 1am. Hell, on new year's eve, he was in bed by 9:30!

Definitely intense and perfect during a freezing cold snap. Now that we know we can watch on Netflix, I don't feel like I need to overindulge all at once.

Question: What's with the pizza on the roof? I didn't catch the backstory, but have read that the actual owners of that house had to put a stop to idiots throwing pizzas.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    My wife and I discovered that show during the government shutdown some years ago (we both work for Trump). Watched the whole series is a week. It just keeps getting better and better.
    Samsies. I was working as a contractor for FAA during the "Sequester" and binged hard on BB.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    There are nights when I wish they'd stop showing episodes, AMC runs them from around 5pm until 1am or so.......

John usually goes to bed early, because he's up around 5am for work, but the other night he was up until 1am. Hell, on new year's eve, he was in bed by 9:30!

Definitely intense and perfect during a freezing cold snap. Now that we know we can watch on Netflix, I don't feel like I need to overindulge all at once.

Question: What's with the pizza on the roof? I didn't catch the backstory, but have read that the actual owners of that house had to put a stop to idiots throwing pizzas.
    There's an episode where Walt, who has left his home, attempts to suck up to Skyler by coming over with pizza. She tells him to p!ss off, and shuts the door in his face; in his anger at this, he tosses the pizza on the roof of the house.

It really is a terrific series.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    It's a stressful show to watch!
    I can't recall what it was but I do remember another series like that so I know what you mean. Right now I'm catching up on lighter fare (Weeds) but will probably save BB as next winter's TV allotment.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    There's an episode where Walt, who has left his home, attempts to suck up to Skyler by coming over with pizza. She tells him to p!ss off, and shuts the door in his face; in his anger at this, he tosses the pizza on the roof of the house.

It really is a terrific series.
    The amazing thing is that scene was the first take...Brian Cranston nailed the pizza toss on his very first attempt! I think it would take me at least 20 times before I could nail the landing!

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Not that I watch every TV series that comes down the pipe by a long shot, but I have to say that Mad Men (with Game of Thrones as an honorable mention) is the best show I've ever seen in my 60+ years of TV watching.
    Mad Men is great, but I'll go with Twin Peaks Season 1 as my GOAT (Greatest of All Time) show, or season of any show, anyway.

Just so far ahead of it's time. 1990 almost couldn't handle it.

S2 was a different story, the network interfered and it showed. The recent S3 was a partial recovery, but you can never really recapture that initial, iconic, 'Holy sh**!!!' feel.

Some of it is just surprise, the recognition that there's something entirely new under the sun.

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast