Thread: Camera Help

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

Camera Help

Seems like it's been awhile since we had a photography thread so I thought I'd pose my dilemma to the Lounge... My wife and I are going to France to watch the last week of the tour and ride the Pyrenees. It's a dream vacation for us and we'll want to take lots of pictures. The problem is that I have no desire to tote my Canon DSLR on the bike. Recommend me a good point and shoot that doesn't cost a small fortune. I'm thinking in the $400 range max.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by smcnees View Post
    Seems like it's been awhile since we had a photography thread so I thought I'd pose my dilemma to the Lounge... My wife and I are going to France to watch the last week of the tour and ride the Pyrenees. It's a dream vacation for us and we'll want to take lots of pictures. The problem is that I have no desire to tote my Canon DSLR on the bike. Recommend me a good point and shoot that doesn't cost a small fortune. I'm thinking in the $400 range max.
    Canon G-12 will do the job fine.S90 if you want something super small.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    I really want the new Fuji x10, but they are around $600. I get great pics from my $200 Canon Powershot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi, for cycling in any weather you can't go wrong with the Pentax WG-1. I love mine! Takes great pictures, is reasonably compact, weather and water proof. Fits in the Jersey pocket and can be washed off under the faucet after a hot and sweaty ride. You should be able to find them for under $200 on ebay.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    8X10 View Camera or it didn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Misfit Toy
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
    8X10 View Camera or it didn't happen.
    Sometimes, I actually dragged along my 4X5 camera & kit when I mountain-biked, either tied to the rear rack or in a backpack. Let's just say, it made me stronger.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

banned
    The problem is that I have no desire to tote my Canon DSLR on the bike. Recommend me a good point and shoot that doesn't cost a small fortune. I'm thinking in the $400 range max.
    Any of the small Canons are great. The pictures I posted of my new Paris were taken with my 8 megapixel SD1100 IS bought a few years ago. The new Canons are probably even better. It's a little frustrating that you don't get to play with exposure controls the way you could with a DSLR but the choices it makes are pretty good. I like the color fidelity and sharpness.

Spicy Dumpling
    I found a used G11 for < 200 bucks and I'm very impressed. With the G12 replacement out you might be able to find some deals. I've gotta have a viewfinder so its a short list for me..
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA View Post
    I found a used G11 for < 200 bucks and I'm very impressed. With the G12 replacement out you might be able to find some deals. I've gotta have a viewfinder so its a short list for me..
    I have a G11 and the viewfinder is usable, but nothing great either. Generally I use the LCD.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Sometimes, I actually dragged along my 4X5 camera & kit when I mountain-biked, either tied to the rear rack or in a backpack. Let's just say, it made me stronger.
    20x24 studio camera--It rides you.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post

Got any photos you would care to share?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Tachihara 4x5 Cherrywood Field Camera wins. HTFU and lug around a real camera!
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Brifter" is the coolest cycling word

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi all, let's see you shoot in the rain with the other cameras. Not having to worry about the camera when the weather goes bad is a huge plus in my book.

Later, Axlenut
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera Help-gettingwet1.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Canon S95/S100 if you want something that fits in the pocket. An Oly Pen or Panasonic 4/3rds if you need near DSLR quality.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    I just recently picked up a Olympus XZ-1 that was factory refurbished for under $300. So far I really like it. It has good reviews on the other parts of the interwobs.

I haven't used it a ton, but its compact, has a nice lens and has more user control then a point and shoot.

Low rep power
    Snagged a Nikon AW 100 recently for a trip that was going to involve lots of snorkel time, and have been very pleased with it, both above and below water. Only possible downside is a X zoom, but... As mentioned above, it's pretty nice to not have to worry about water....
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II View Post
    I have a G11 and the viewfinder is usable, but nothing great either. Generally I use the LCD.
    It ain't dslr but I still prefer it to the LCD in the sunlight..
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    Tachihara 4x5 Cherrywood Field Camera wins. HTFU and lug around a real camera!
    Ugh. A Tachihara. Get a real real camera, a Wista.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera Help-ed-wista-rbr.jpg  
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Cowboy up
    It's a dream vacation for us and we'll want to take lots of pictures.
    Then bring your dslr. You can carry it in a handlebar bag.

Go to Rando Boutique in Paris and buy an Ortlieb Ultimate 5 with a camera insert. It will hold your dslr, is waterproof, and has a shoulder strap to use for walking around. They have a full selection of Ortlieb gear and at good prices too.

Look through these photos and then decide you want to take a point and shoot.

Paris photos July 2011
    TDF photos from the final stage

Do you really want to spend $400 to have less performance and take lower quality photos? Remember to budget for camera plus spare battery, plus memory card, case, warranty and taxes (being patriotic or supporting the LCS).
    Last edited by Art853; 04-16-2012 at 10:03 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Take a look at Canon PowerShot S95 digital hd video camera.
    Last edited by ankaka; 04-18-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    http://www.sencart.com/Supply-camera_c76

Orange Contender Elite 50-60# GTX 31" draw
    White Carbon Matrix plus 60-70# RKT 31.5" draw

Spicy Dumpling
    I've also done numerous centuries on my fixie with my DSLR in a Lowepro Fanny pack. Never noticed it and it doesn't interfere with pedaling. Mine is the Inverse 100 and it held my Pentax K-x DSLR and Kit lens, it's a bit tight but usable with my larger D300.

You Phillip mah census
    I did a 100 mile out and back ride from my apartment in Tokyo to the Pacific coast in Chiba last year. D300 and 18~200 zoom in a backpack, no problems at all.

Camera Help-kuota-beach1.jpg

Camera Help-pacific.jpg
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
    Got any photos you would care to share?
    Ya know, I actually don't. Yes, I got some excellent shots out of the 4x5, but they were never quite as good as the ones from my Rolleiflex or Fuji 645 Rangefinder, the only cameras I ever had with which I could truly express myself.. Plus, I'd have to take photos of the photos, and I just can't get that trick down well enough to my liking.