Palm trees & sunshine!

Canon EF 28mm f/1.8

I've got the 50mm 1.8 and use the hell out of it but some times just want a bit more and can't back up.

Why shouldn't I buy this lens?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_EF_28mm.html

supervillain

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Before I got my 14-24mm, I had a 14mm and a 35-70mm. I was *this* close to getting the 24mm. Ok, that's of no help at all.

What do you have at the wide end?
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

I like Chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    I've got the 50mm 1.8 and use the hell out of it but some times just want a bit more and can't back up.

Why shouldn't I buy this lens?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_EF_28mm.html
    Get this one. it's only a little more.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_EF_24mm.html
    Quote Originally Posted by gutfiddle
    Most of the gals we know schedule C sections whether they need them or not nowadays to keep their cooter from gettin torn up but I say you can't hurt them things, they're made of hognose material.

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    Before I got my 14-24mm, I had a 14mm and a 35-70mm. I was *this* close to getting the 24mm. Ok, that's of no help at all.

What do you have at the wide end?
    I hhave a 17-55mm that I really like but it's sloooow. It's great for wide stuff in good light but not so great at portraits.

I did some surfing and also found this guy: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...1_4_EX_DC.html

Essentially the same lens as the Canon, for a little less (under $400 elsewhere) and has less CA and vignetting issues than the Canon. Comparison shots between the two are pretty much shot for shot. Both a little soft wide open but pretty damn sharp around 2.8.

supervillain

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRoadGuy
    Get this one. it's only a little more.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_EF_24mm.html

I looked at that one.

supervillain

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    I did some surfing and also found this guy: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...1_4_EX_DC.html
    My only experience with Sigma was the 10-20mm I had. I never liked it.

I would think if anything you'd want to go wider than 28, not longer, considering you have the 50mm.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

I like Chicken
    If I was buying new equipment I'd buy all F4 L series lenses. Generally 1/2 the price of the 2.8 glass, just as sharp and many times much lighter weight.
    I'd personally stay away from any after market manufacturers glass and stick with the Canon stuff.

That said the fast prime lenses are the schiznit. The L series glass is better suited to digital applications too.
    Quote Originally Posted by gutfiddle
    Most of the gals we know schedule C sections whether they need them or not nowadays to keep their cooter from gettin torn up but I say you can't hurt them things, they're made of hognose material.

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRoadGuy
    If I was buying new equipment I'd buy all F4 L series lenses. Generally 1/2 the price of the 2.8 glass, just as sharp and many times much lighter weight.
    I'd personally stay away from any after market manufacturers glass and stick with the Canon stuff.

That said the fast prime lenses are the schiznit. The L series glass is better suited to digital applications too.

I'd go with an L in a heartbeat if I had the budget for it.

supervillain

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    My only experience with Sigma was the 10-20mm I had. I never liked it.

I would think if anything you'd want to go wider than 28, not longer, considering you have the 50mm.
    I have 2 Sigma lenses -- the 17-55 and a 70-300. I love the 70-300. I put it away for a while but have been going back to it more and more.

supervillain

desert smouth
    Mar 2003
    The 28mm f1.8 is a nice piece of glass. You'll enjoy it if you're already enjoying the 50mm. A worthwhile purchase and you can always get your money back on ebay. I purchased all my lenses on ebay and when my body got stolen, sold them all for atleast what I'd paid.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    What body are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Roadies Rejoice
    I have 2 Sigma lenses -- the 17-55 and a 70-300. I love the 70-300. I put it away for a while but have been going back to it more and more.
    I have the 70-300 as well, I do like it and think it's a pretty good value, although sometimes I think it's a bit soft. I've read that it is sharpest stopped down a bit and at a focal length of less than 250. Is that your experience?
    Audi of America President Johan de Nysschen regarding electric vehicles:
    "They’re for the intellectual elite who want to show what enlightened souls they are”

......._0
    ...... \<,
    ...( )/( )

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    What body are you using?
    XT.

The Sigma is definitely not for a full frame.

supervillain

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCnj
    I have the 70-300 as well, I do like it and think it's a pretty good value, although sometimes I think it's a bit soft. I've read that it is sharpest stopped down a bit and at a focal length of less than 250. Is that your experience?

That is exactly my experience.

supervillain

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    28*1.6=44.8 ie. Something close to a normal lens.

You might give the Ritz Camera on 18th and L a call, they had a few wide prime Canon lenses on close out at pretty good prices the last time I was in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.