RoadBikeReview Member

Car Accident... WTF?

So I got into a car accident later part of last week, police were called to file a report, No injuries to both parties.

So few days later I got the police report and on the last page in the Crash Description it reads:
    V1 (the other party) and V2 (me) were both traveling north , and where making a left turn onto overpass (both lanes are turning lanes - the inside lane is left turn lane only, right lane has option to turn left or go straight), V1 hit V2.

I went to my Insurance office to inform them of the accident and told them what happened. They reviewed the police report and deemed this was not my fault and driver of V1 is at fault as the report states V1 hit V2.

We called the other parties insurance company, to file a claim and faxed the report. A couple of days later I received a call from the other parties Insurance company to make an appointment to take my car to a drive-in claim center to have it looked at.

At the end of my drive-in claim appointment the claim adjuster handed me some papers and tells me that he sorry for my damage and your cleared to have car repaired at any body shop of my choice, a check will be mailed to you under a our liability claim.

Yesterday I received a text message from the other parties insurance office; "the Liability claim has been accepted" and confirmed the amount of the claim to be paid. In that same evening I received a phone call from my insurance company telling me the other party (V1) has filed a liability claim again my insurance.

How can his insurance company file a claim against my insurance when they already accepted liability and is in the process of issuing me claim check.... WTF
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

Ricardo Cabeza
    There are lawyers in Memphis who specialize in suing the party in an accident with insurance on behalf of the party without insurance regardless of who is at fault. How does this work? Because most insurance companies will pay a certain amount rather than fight.

Same in your case I would imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Years ago a low life run into my wife in front of the house, police were called and he was ticketed. We just had liability on the car, with uninsured motorists coverage. We turned in the police report and contacted both our insurance and his. His wouldn't pay damages until hearing from him and since we only had liability we had no claim with our insurance.

We didn't hear from his insurance and called back, they said that they hadn't heard from him and wouldn't settle until seeing his report. They said that he had four months to send them the report. At the end of four months the response was that he didn't hold up his end of the bargain so they dropped him and he which, they said, made him uninsured. I called the state and was told that his insurance company was within their rights denying my claim.

I called my insurance company and they covered the damage under an uninsured motorists claim. Asked if we would go to a hearing if they pursued the matter. Hell Yes we would.

So maybe five years latter I get a call from my insurance company asking if we would go to the hearing. Hell Yes we would. At the hearing we were their, my insurance companies reps were there, the low life wasn't there but his insurance companies, who denied the claim on the grounds of him not being insured, had their reps there.

My wife told her story of what happened, the low life wasn't there so no defense and his insurance company paid my insurance company the money that was due and I got our deductible back.

So you tell me WTF.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Contact your local insurance agent; laws vary from state to state, so your local rep can explain what's going in in simple terms.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think almost everything to do with insurance costs way more than it should. That's because a bunch of third parties have to rush in and argue before the foregone conclusions can be reached.

Who pays for them? Us, through premiums and lost time.

I've heard that as much as 30% of US health care spending is wasted on arguers and paper pushers. That was before the ACA, but I doubt things are much different now.

OK, I'll stop here before I totally cross the PO threshold.

RoadBikeReview Member
    FOLLOW-UP: So I spoke with my insurance company and backed it all up with documentation (police report) and my statement. A couple days later I received a call from my insurance rep. They denied his claim based on documentation I provided from his insurance company stating John Doe( other driver) was Liable to improper lane use, Payable Liability Loss to (My Name); payment claim processing and a copy of the Liability payment check.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the update. I hate to sound snotty, but could you put the explanation in plain English? It's not clear to me what your insurance company did.

Seat's not level
    Mod... please move this to the insurance forum....
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Attendance at Hillary's inauguration = 0

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bobf View Post
    I think almost everything to do with insurance costs way more than it should. That's because a bunch of third parties have to rush in and argue before the foregone conclusions can be reached.

Who pays for them? Us, through premiums and lost time.

I've heard that as much as 30% of US health care spending is wasted on arguers and paper pushers. That was before the ACA, but I doubt things are much different now.

OK, I'll stop here before I totally cross the PO threshold.
    You're sort of right. Insurance costs so much because the consumers have no idea how much it should cost. It's a complete imbalance of information.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Insurance costs a lot because there is a big pot of money for certain parties who get an excuse to claim some of it. It is all just sitting there, calling out....spend me....spend me....

My daughter decides to play on the school tennis club. This maybe 10 years ago. They say she needs a tetanus update. Of course. This is tennis, after all.

I call the pediatrician: can you do a tetanus shot? Sure. Come in on Wednesday.

We see the doc for a few minutes, who writes an order for the shot. The doc asks, " so, young lady - have has your mood been lately? How about appetite? Have your periods been regular? OK, sounds like everything is fine. Set yo self in Room 8 and wait for the shot guy to stick you.

The shot person gives the shot. We leave.

We get a bill for: $60 to order shot, $60 for actual shot, $50 for shot guy to deliver the shot, and $100 for a well child check up.

Long story short: we have not been to that pediatrician since. Not with my daughter or either of my young boys.

I hope they enjoyed that $100.

Oh, wait: I griped about this billing thing, and they refunded it back to me.