Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pedal Master

Chevy Silverado vs Ford F-150

I'm looking at new trucks...anyone have pros/cons on your experience with either?
    I Like B-I-K-E-S.

Ricardo Cabeza
    for the company trucks, we've had Chevy and Ford. The Fords have held up way better overall.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Fords are fun. I've driven 2wd quarter-ton pickups of both. The Ford sits higher overall, and turns tighter. The Chevy I drove rusted out along the rocker panels after about 6 years. The Chevy also had the passenger side window switch blow out.

The Ford has manual windows and locks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    you won't catch a truck in my garage, but a friend who does buy trucks only buys fords

that "sync" stuff looks pretty cool

Rep *****.
    If your going to use it as a truck, Ford.
    If your going to use it as a passenger car, Chevy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    My brother's/dad's F-150 is 15 years old and seen a ton of abuse (e.g., no oil change for 20,000 miles) and it is still running. I have a 2003 F350 and don't use it too much or too hard, but I have no complaints with it for the 7 years that I have had it (Knock on Wood). The only way I would buy a Chevy truck is if Ford is no longer around. Same goes for a Chevy car.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:
    Colnago C50 ST01 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 303
    Colnago Cristallo NS03 - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Custom Wheels
    Colnago Oval Krono LX4 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 808/disk
    Colnago Arte bare aluminum - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 404
    Colnago Arte NS03 - unbuilt
    Bianchi FG Lite Liqui - 2008 Record - Zipp 202

Ricardo Cabeza
    We've had 3 trucks to tow the big boat in the 11 years I've been at this company - 1994 heavy duty Suburban with a diesel, 2001 Excursion V10, and a 2009 F-350 diesel. The Sub towed the 5000# boat easily and had plenty of power. It went 250K before it was totalled in an accident. The Excursion towed the 5000# boat easily, but the 8000# boat, not so much, and we started having transmission problems due to the extra heat. It went 250k also before someone ran it over something and cracked the transmission case and engine block (never did find out who). The F-350 is a year and a half old and has 50k on it and has been absolutely perfect. My only complaint so far was that we had to get help from someone with a 4WD last winter in Arkansas when we got it stuck on a boat ramp. Normally it has pretty good traction but when the ramp is covered in ice, and the ramp has a giant frost heave in the concrete that keeps snagging the bottom of the boat trailer and robbing the rig of its momentum, it has a bit of trouble.

We had a 1996 Sub that went close to 300k before it crapped out. Then we had 01 and 02 Subs that were absolute garbage. One went through 8 transmissions before they finally figured out what was causing it. I should note an independent transmission shop is the place that fixed it as the dealership told us not to bring it back because they had no idea what was wrong. They only had 150k or so before they went away.

They were replaced by Fords. We've got 3 F-150 crew cabs - 07, two 08s. They've had few problems and they get ABUSED. One of the few things that went wrong was the AC quit cooling on the 07. They took it in and the dealer found that the space between the grill and the condenser had filled with mud that had hardened. The older one has well over 100k and I think the newest has maybe 75k. They are a far cry better than the Chevys.

Now, we also have a Tundra that's a couple years old. That one seems to be holding up mechanically but these goons are going to break that puny little sucker with it's opn unboxed frame in half one of these days.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69
    We've had 3 trucks to tow the big boat in the 11 years I've been at this company - 1994 heavy duty Suburban with a diesel, 2001 Excursion V10, and a 2009 F-350 diesel. The Sub towed the 5000# boat easily and had plenty of power. It went 250K before it was totalled in an accident. The Excursion towed the 5000# boat easily, but the 8000# boat, not so much, and we started having transmission problems due to the extra heat. It went 250k also before someone ran it over something and cracked the transmission case and engine block (never did find out who). The F-350 is a year and a half old and has 50k on it and has been absolutely perfect. My only complaint so far was that we had to get help from someone with a 4WD last winter in Arkansas when we got it stuck on a boat ramp. Normally it has pretty good traction but when the ramp is covered in ice, and the ramp has a giant frost heave in the concrete that keeps snagging the bottom of the boat trailer and robbing the rig of its momentum, it has a bit of trouble.

We had a 1996 Sub that went close to 300k before it crapped out. Then we had 01 and 02 Subs that were absolute garbage. One went through 8 transmissions before they finally figured out what was causing it. I should note an independent transmission shop is the place that fixed it as the dealership told us not to bring it back because they had no idea what was wrong. They only had 150k or so before they went away.

They were replaced by Fords. We've got 3 F-150 crew cabs - 07, two 08s. They've had few problems and they get ABUSED. One of the few things that went wrong was the AC quit cooling on the 07. They took it in and the dealer found that the space between the grill and the condenser had filled with mud that had hardened. The older one has well over 100k and I think the newest has maybe 75k. They are a far cry better than the Chevys.

Now, we also have a Tundra that's a couple years old. That one seems to be holding up mechanically but these goons are going to break that puny little sucker with it's opn unboxed frame in half one of these days.
    Should have gotten the Excursion with the diesel. I know several guys that have 500,000 miles on their diesels. Of course, they take pretty good care of them. I think my F350 might last me until I retire, but I might just want a new truck before then. Who knows.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:
    Colnago C50 ST01 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 303
    Colnago Cristallo NS03 - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Custom Wheels
    Colnago Oval Krono LX4 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 808/disk
    Colnago Arte bare aluminum - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 404
    Colnago Arte NS03 - unbuilt
    Bianchi FG Lite Liqui - 2008 Record - Zipp 202

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    New model? Well doen't matter either way. Has to be a Ford. F-series are the best selling for a reason. Don't know if you plan to do a lot of hauling. But a Bedrug bed liner might not be a bad idea. I have one in my truck and just lay my bike down on it without having to worry about scratches and dings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ford - unless you want a Government Motors

i like whiskey
    I've never had a problem with any of my 5 Chevy's. 3 Silverados in various configurations and 2 Tahoe's. All great. The Tahoe's were both in bad wrecks. One totalled. The other just shy of it. Not a scratch on anyone in either wreck.

My current truck is an 05 Silverado crew cab. Aside from having burned out LED's in parts of the dash and steering wheel, it's been great. It goes hunting with me all year and never a problem. It's gonna need front brakes soon. 78k miles.

Rub it............
    I've owned both.

1988 F-150 - absolutely bullet proof - but had a lot of small issues.

2003 Silverado - Purchased new. Only needed tires, brakes, and a battery. No problems whatsover - over 83K when traded in.

2007 Silverado (new body style) This one is still low mileage - under 35K. No problems so far.

The F-150 trucks ride like trucks. Hence it being called a truck. The Silverado's are more car like, smoother ride, a little better handling on the road. But still a very capable vehicle.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I have owned both a 2001 f150 and a 2001 silverado. Both were the base package. For base the chevy was MUCH better equipped. The chevy rides nicer and tows better. I did not have a good experience with ford at all. The ford was a basket case and I spent way too much on that truck. All in all, they are both good trucks, and you will get your moneys worth out of either.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    I owned Chevys for 20 years. The second one died after just 50K miles.

No more Chevys for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    My cousin runs trucks into the ground and swears on Ford.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

We have met the enemy...
    I like my "puny little" Tundra--but I'm only a semi-serious truck user--it does not get loaded up on a daily basis.

With my dad's business where the trucks got used a whole lot harder--various Fords seemed to hold up better than the GMC's and Chevies...
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by fabsroman
    Should have gotten the Excursion with the diesel. I know several guys that have 500,000 miles on their diesels. Of course, they take pretty good care of them. I think my F350 might last me until I retire, but I might just want a new truck before then. Who knows.
    The diesel in the Sub was a bit high maintenance, so the higher-ups wanted a gas engine instead. I agree the diesel would have been better.

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Does Trek make good trucks?

In the end you could get a lemon from either. I have been a Chevy guy for most of my life but have been looking at Ford for the next one. Seems the Chevys get a lot of electrical problems, little nagging things but Fords can also have their problems. I know the Ford engines have had major issues over the years, first with spark plugs that were easy to strip due to only two threes holding them in (usually resulted in the plug shooting out of the head). Then their new design caused plugs to get stuck, which made people happy when they were told the heads had to be pulled when all they wanted was a tune-up. I say just drive both and buy the one you like more.
    Oh and Ford is the #1 selling truck because of all the rental car companies they sell to for cheap just to ensure they can keep that title.
    "Sticking feathers in your butt doesn't make you a chicken"
    -Tyler Durden

gazing from the shadows
    Drive past a couple local construction sites and count the number of late model trucks of each type. If one outnumbers the other by a lot, that might mean something about the trucks OR the local dealers. Or both.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

List of people who get unduly personal and are such a waste of my time I wrote a script to delete all their posts, even those in other people's replies:

AM999

No hero that's understood
    I've never owned a pickup truck, so this is not first hand knowledge. My father has had a car column for over 30 years, so I've been a vehicle nut forever.

I have always read that the Fords were slightly better. My understanding is that Fords have independent rear suspension while the Chevys don't. My info could be a little outdated, but I think the Fords generally win most comparison tests.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

\m/{-_-}\m/
    I had a 2006 F-150 Super Crew with the 5.4 V8 and it was a great truck. I loaded the bed with junk all the time, pulled a lawn service trailer with it, and used it as a daily driver. It drove really well and never had any problems other than the fact that I only averaged 15 mpg most of the time. (Probably because I had heavy 22" wheels on it) I traded it in for a Honda Element after I sold the lawn business because I didn't need something that big any longer.

While I've always been partial to Ford trucks my dad has a 2000 Chevy Silverado that is still going strong today. It has over 300k miles on it and he pulls a 28 foot boat and it has had very little problems. The heater is broken and it's been through a couple of oil pumps but other than that it's never had a problem. Routine stuff like oil changes, brakes and air filters have kept it running strong.

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by q_and_a
    I've never owned a pickup truck, so this is not first hand knowledge. My father has had a car column for over 30 years, so I've been a vehicle nut forever.

I have always read that the Fords were slightly better. My understanding is that Fords have independent rear suspension while the Chevys don't. My info could be a little outdated, but I think the Fords generally win most comparison tests.

Ford trucks still use a solid rear axle, just like the GM trucks. Dodge went to a coil spring rear solid axle instead of the leaf spring.

The Independent rear is on the Explorer and the Expedition.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

Master debator.
    I'm a Ford person. But whenever I am shopping for new I always test ride each brand including the imports. You never know which one will surprise you. I'm not entirely stuck on one brand, I've been thinking a Ridgeline or an Xterra would be my next vehicle, if the Ford I have now ever dies.
    My ex hated Fords, so one day while we were waiting for an oil change she went browsing in the lot. Later that day she drove off with a new '04 Focus SVT, and it's been reliable and fun since.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RCA
    RoadBikeReview Member

You Need this truck

this is a truck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chevy Silverado vs Ford F-150-112_2006_sema_299x-2007_ford_f650_by_deberti_designs-side_view.jpg  
    We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

waterproof*
    this thread is useless without one particular pic:

* posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast