Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Frog Whisperer

Coffee

Trying to figure out when wanting a cup of coffee in the morning turned in to desperately needing a cup of coffee in the morning.
    Last edited by Touch0Gray; 03-01-2018 at 03:28 AM.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    A guy I work with is a pretty hard core coffee snob and addict.

He likes French press coffee......but had to buy a Kuerig machine specifically because waiting 5 min. for the water to heat up ect. for the French press was more than he could take. This wasn't to replace the French press. It was so he could have a cup going while he's working on the French press.

Frog Whisperer
    I switched to a hand powered bur grinder, pyrex measuring cup/microwave and pour over because it is idiot proof. There are just so many ways to screw an auto drip up. (French press is too much trouble, shouldn't dump grounds down the drain with a septic)

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    (French press is too much trouble, shouldn't dump grounds down the drain with a septic)
    huh? There are a lot of things that shouldn't be be dumped down the drain. That's what trash cans are for.

Edit: okay, I think I get what you're saying. I spoon out the grounds in to the trash which takes a second, but do flush some straglers down the drain when I rinse it.
    Last edited by Jay Strongbow; 03-01-2018 at 03:51 AM.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    huh? There are a lot of things that shouldn't be be dumped down the drain. That's what trash cans are for.
    Well my grounds all go into the compost but it is a pain to get them all out of the press, easier to snatch the filter out of the pour over and drop it in the crock. Trust me I don't need another way to make a mess. I excel at that.

RoadBikeReview Member

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    Is that instant!?!?

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Oh yeah, this is the Schmidt. I think I might have my monthly cup early.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coffee-folgers.jpg  

welcome to the jungle
    Have they invented an intravenous coffee-drip yet?

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    A guy I work with is a pretty hard core coffee snob and addict.

He likes French press coffee......but had to buy a Kuerig machine specifically because waiting 5 min. for the water to heat up ect. for the French press was more than he could take. This wasn't to replace the French press. It was so he could have a cup going while he's working on the French press.
    I'd call him more of an illogical bozo than a hard core coffee snob. He can't wait for the water in the kettle to come to a boil, so he bought a whole separate expensive machine to make coffee in a style he doesn't prefer, just for the wait? Nuts, IMHO.

A hard-core coffee snob can wait patiently for the good stuff. I don't consider myself really hard-core, but I almost always drink espresso. It takes almost half an hour for the machine to heat up thoroughly to get a consistent pull. I can wait.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I'd call him more of an illogical bozo than a hard core coffee snob. He can't wait for the water in the kettle to come to a boil, so he bought a whole separate expensive machine to make coffee in a style he doesn't prefer, just for the wait? Nuts, IMHO.

A hard-core coffee snob can wait patiently for the good stuff. I don't consider myself really hard-core, but I almost always drink espresso. It takes almost half an hour for the machine to heat up thoroughly to get a consistent pull. I can wait.
    Note I said "and addict" and he does wait for the good stuff. He just wants to have a cup of coffee for the wait.

Master debator.
    Week days I just make drip coffee as I don't have time in the morning to putz around. Weekends I use an Aeropress with filtered water and Tanzanian Teaberry coffee. I'm not really a coffee snob by any means, I just don't want my caffeine fix to taste like ass.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    While we're on the topic of tasting like ass ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRt2_OLY3Ho

RoadBikeReview Member
    huh, why put them in the trash...?

I just open the kitchen door and toss my grounds out in the yard or flower bed...they make a good soil amendment.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

What the what???
    Though I like the pour-over and the French press, I drink coffee by the pot, so it’s a Bunn and Maxwell House 100% Columbian for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    huh, why put them in the trash...?

I just open the kitchen door and toss my grounds out in the yard or flower bed...they make a good soil amendment.
    Congratulations. Try tossing them out of a 4th floor apartment on a busy city street and us know how that works out for you.

xxl

A friend of mine had a drip coffee maker specifically so he could enjoy a leisurely cup of coffee while waiting for his espresso maker to heat up.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is that instant!?!?
    Sure is. Instant all week at work and French press on the weekend. And, yes, I empty the grounds in the garbage.

gazing from the shadows
    Well my grounds all go into the compost but it is a pain to get them all out of the press, easier to snatch the filter out of the pour over and drop it in the crock. Trust me I don't need another way to make a mess. I excel at that.
    I used a fine sieve when using the press regularly. Pour water over spent grounds, swirl, pour through sieve, dump sieve into compost, rinse sieve and press. Fast and easy.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I also use Aeropress. It takes 2 minutes to microwave boil water, than about 30 seconds of stir, 30 seconds of press.

I used a low cost Krups grinder for awhile to grind freshly roasted beans. Tried a burr grinder, it makes a positive difference in both taste and press time. The one I use, Capresso, cost about $90., but you can spend a lot more. The difference is burr grinders give you uniform grind particle size, versus blade types that give you coarse and powder fine all mixed together.
    For french press it's critical to to not have fine particles, (you need coarse grind) which the screen won't filter. I use a big french press for 3-4 cups at a time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Note I said "and addict" and he does wait for the good stuff. He just wants to have a cup of coffee for the wait.
    I'm an addict, too. But withdrawal symptoms don't kick in unless I don't have a cup until mid-morning. So I can wait half an hour.

He still sounds a little nuts to me. French press is one of the quickest methods of brewing. But diff'rent strokes . . .
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I'm an addict, too. But withdrawal symptoms don't kick in unless I don't have a cup until mid-morning. So I can wait half an hour.

He still sounds a little nuts to me. French press is one of the quickest methods of brewing. But diff'rent strokes . . .
    Well making a cup of coffee to get you to the coffee you really want being a little nuts is the whole point of him telling me about it my repeating it here.
    Most people think it's kinda funny. Others don't see the humor so get pedantic about brew times ect. But diff'rent strokes...

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I used a fine sieve when using the press regularly. Pour water over spent grounds, swirl, pour through sieve, dump sieve into compost, rinse sieve and press. Fast and easy.
    hmmmm, I might try that. Although it would have to be better than the pour over because it takes more steps

I might be an addict BUT I would have to quit to know for sure and I am pretty sure no one around me wants to see that

when my youngest is home, she b!tches incessantly about what a pain the hand crank bur grinder is , followed my what a great job it does.

Frog Whisperer
    Ok, just made a mug of French Press, seems pretty tasteless to me compared to pour over. How long do you let it soak? I ain't a coffee snob just a coffee junkie.

Actually, I almost never drink coffee other than in the morning.

So which method extracts the most caffeine?

My son has an expression he uses, "Coffee, turning sleep into poop..."

He also said, "you can circumcise a pig but you can't make it Kosher."

He's a colorful lad...

gazing from the shadows
    Ok, just made a mug of French Press, seems pretty tasteless to me compared to pour over. How long do you let it soak? I ain't a coffee snob just a coffee junkie.

Actually, I almost never drink coffee other than in the morning.

So which method extracts the most caffeine?

My son has an expression he uses, "Coffee, turning sleep into poop..."
    3-4 minute steep is standard. Longer steep time, more extraction. Generally FP will be a bit lower than drip, but it also typically uses coarser grind. Finer the grind, the more the extraction... including more bitterness.

Lighter roasts have more caffeine than darker.

So, grind a light roast however fine you can stand (finer gives a muddier cup), steep it as long as you can palate, and that will max caffeine levels.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast