Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    No hero that's understood
    Reputation: q_and_a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,097

    Colorado Rocky Mountain High

    The family and I just returned from a much needed vacation in Colorado. My wife's relatives have a house in Cherry Creek and a house in Estes Park, so we had a quasi family reunion during which we spent 2 days in Denver and 5 days in Estes Park with about 15 people. It had been a while since I've spent any time there and I for got how much I liked it.

    We hiked in Rocky Mountain National Park, ate and drank too much and generally just enjoyed our time together. I think everyone had as good of a time as I did, but you can never be sure when family is involved.

    I was also humbled by all of the riders cranking away on route 36 coming in and out of Boulder.

    Although I am an East Coaster at heart, Chain, Catzilla and any other Coloradoites, you sure live in a special place.

    Also, the trip was not marred by any wildfires and it appears that the chapter is just about closed. The fire in Estes was near my wife's aunt and uncles cabin, but left it unharmed. It was pretty wild to see how oddly selective the fire was.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

  2. #2
    It's not TOO Cold!
    Reputation: Sledgehammer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,498
    Did you leave before the torrential rains began?

    Glad you enjoyed your stay.
    “Some truths are eternal, you can’t go high on a prop!” - BBC Commentator, France @ England 6 Nations Rugby. 02/26/2011

  3. #3
    No hero that's understood
    Reputation: q_and_a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer03 View Post
    Did you leave before the torrential rains began?

    Glad you enjoyed your stay.
    It actually rained for a little while every day in Estes. I've lost track of the days, but only once did it rain hard for more than a few minutes and even then, it was only an hour or so.

    We went to the Cherry Creek Art Festival on Saturday morning and headed out from there.

    I meant to include you in my list of people from Boulder, but kept getting Bulldozer stuck in my head and I knew that was wrong.

    Also, on our way through Boulder, we stopped and enjoyed a SmashBurger at the boy's request. Pretty good stuff. Also, that whole area is new to me since the last time I visited. Pretty nice food court, but the parking is woefully inadequate.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

  4. #4
    Seat's not level
    Reputation: Chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    18,178
    Glad you had fun in our little neck of the woods. We were up in Estes on Saturday. It rained hard for a long time. My parents have a place that is close to where the Estes fire was. It was very selective from what they said. Basically burned a strip of homes. Those above and below the strip were fine, those in the strip were toast.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

    He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

  5. #5
    Don't Tread on Me
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    992
    I live on the western Slope, but am originally from the east coast too - Long Island.

    Glad you enjoyed your time here. Colorado is great, but I'd be lying to you if I said there weren't things I miss about the north east.

  6. #6
    No hero that's understood
    Reputation: q_and_a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Glad you had fun in our little neck of the woods. We were up in Estes on Saturday. It rained hard for a long time. My parents have a place that is close to where the Estes fire was. It was very selective from what they said. Basically burned a strip of homes. Those above and below the strip were fine, those in the strip were toast.

    My wife's aunt and uncles cabin was just west off the fire on High road. There was even a house that was in the strip that seemed to have been untouched.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

  7. #7
    Glue Sniffer
    Reputation: catzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,641
    Quote Originally Posted by q_and_a View Post
    Although I am an East Coaster at heart, Chain, Catzilla and any other Coloradoites, you sure live in a special place.
    Spent nearly my whole life in Florida, with the last decade being in the cesspool of anger and implants that is South Florida.

    Every time I walk outside or get into a conversation with a stranger or notice that almost every car has a bike rack, I'm reminded of just how truly special this place is.

    Glad you got to enjoy it between the fires and the floods. Next week we're supposed to have pestilence, so that's neat.
    Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use.

    Yup, I've geeked out and started a blog: www.adventuresinprocreating.blogspot.com

  8. #8
    No hero that's understood
    Reputation: q_and_a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,097
    Quote Originally Posted by catzilla View Post
    Spent nearly my whole life in Florida, with the last decade being in the cesspool of anger and implants that is South Florida.

    Every time I walk outside or get into a conversation with a stranger or notice that almost every car has a bike rack, I'm reminded of just how truly special this place is.

    Glad you got to enjoy it between the fires and the floods. Next week we're supposed to have pestilence, so that's neat.
    I had to use the goggles to figure out what pestilence is.

    My version of the East Coast is a small town with roots back to the revolutionary war, farmland, and quiet country roads. South Florida wouldn't have done it for me either.

    I was talking to my wife's cousin who is a Denver native. He went to school back east and said he always had a hard time getting used to always being in the trees and never seeing the full sky. I lived in Phoenix for 20 years and I could never adapt to not being in the trees all the time.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

  9. #9
    Diphthong
    Reputation: Bulldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,987
    Sounds like you were here between the drought and the monsoon. If you didn't go south of Cherry Creek you weren't far enough south to make it to my neck of the woods.
    I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

    I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of $hit, man.

  10. #10
    Call me a Fred
    Reputation: MikeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    17,037
    Quote Originally Posted by catzilla View Post
    Spent nearly my whole life in Florida, with the last decade being in the cesspool of anger and implants that is South Florida.

    Every time I walk outside or get into a conversation with a stranger or notice that almost every car has a bike rack, I'm reminded of just how truly special this place is.

    Glad you got to enjoy it between the fires and the floods. Next week we're supposed to have pestilence, so that's neat.
    I think that the pestilence is coming early this year. I just had a grasshopper slam into my window screen. I don't like the way he is staring at me.
    Mike

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

    Sleepy John Estes

    H

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by petalpower View Post
    I live on the western Slope, but am originally from the east coast too - Long Island.

    Glad you enjoyed your time here. Colorado is great, but I'd be lying to you if I said there weren't things I miss about the north east.
    I also live on the western slope. And I am originally from the east coast, Boston area. I could never live back east again. I like to visit New England occasionally and see family and old friends, but that's it. Gotta be back on the Colorado Plateau.

    Sounds like you had a great trip!

  12. #12
    "El Bwana"
    Reputation: PDex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,419
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post
    I think that the pestilence is coming early this year. I just had a grasshopper slam into my window screen. I don't like the way he is staring at me.
    Yeah, let's just say my oldest is looking pretty nervous. Better get some lamb's blood.


    q-

    Sounds like you had a nice time. Next time, don't be a stranger.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

  13. #13
    No hero that's understood
    Reputation: q_and_a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,097
    Quote Originally Posted by PDex View Post
    Yeah, let's just say my oldest is looking pretty nervous. Better get some lamb's blood.


    q-

    Sounds like you had a nice time. Next time, don't be a stranger.
    I was with 14 other people each having their own schedule and agenda. I was on vacation so I just asked my wife to tell me where I needed to be next and all went well. I considered reaching out to the CO Loungers, but then I received the itinerary and dining schedule and quickly realized that the concept of "free time" was not listed.

    I did have a great time. On our first hike in the national park, we headed strait up hill. The first 20 - 30 steps quickly let me know that 7,500 ft of altitude is significantly different than the 89 feet that I am accustomed to. Once I figured out an appropriate pace, it all went well from there.

    I passed up the Indy Booty for the trip, so it really had to be good or I'd be pissed.

    I'll make sure to look you guys up next time I'm in town.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

  14. #14
    Glue Sniffer
    Reputation: catzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,641
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post
    I think that the pestilence is coming early this year. I just had a grasshopper slam into my window screen. I don't like the way he is staring at me.
    Nothing worse than a cocky grasshopper.

    Except, you know, the Holocaust.
    Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use.

    Yup, I've geeked out and started a blog: www.adventuresinprocreating.blogspot.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

INTERBIKE

Contest

Hot Deals

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook