RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Computer Building Woes

This is my third computer build. The previous builds went together without any problems. This one has been nothing but problems. I tried installing the motherboard standoffs into the case. They would not go in. I surmise a thread mismatch with the supplied standoffs.
    I sent the case back. I then tested the the parts outside of the case. Installed Processor, cooler, memory, (the motherboard and the processor will work without separate graphics card) and hooked it up to monitor. Nothing. Spoke to tech at motherboard company. He said bad motherboard. I carefully removed the cooler from the processor, and the processor came out of the socket and was stuck on the cooler. I removed it and there was not bent or broken pins. I think that I am sorry that I got involved with this build. Need to be cheered up.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    You're into building computers? That's something I have been interested in since high school (when iBuyPower and Newegg were THE sites to buy parts from) but have never put the effort into. I love modifying and building stuff; I've always got a bunch of projects sitting around the house.

Are you into PC gaming, or are you more into film/media production?
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Neophyte
    The last time I built a computer it was cool that I put in an internal Zip drive in and had onboard SCSI (Adaptec, the best!)... and the Yamaha CD-RW drive cost a pretty penny.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Truly an incredibly frustrating thing, having to debug hardware issues and RMA parts on a new build. I dabbled as a custom rig builder, wasn't nearly enough profit for the time I put into making them perfect for customers. I just upgraded after 5-6 years to my new rig, fortunately it went as smooth as silk. Don't worry, you'll get it done too. Here's some motivation:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry about your misfortunes on PC building if I may ask, what brand of motherboard did you get? As good of a brand as Asus is supposed to be, I have NEVER had a troublefree Asus system (motherboards, laptops even a router).

These days, I am about to cobble together a desktop with some spare parts that people handed to me after they upgraded. Bulk of my systems work now involves servers at work.

Master debator.
    I always use the standoff pins that come with the case, not the motherboard, not sure I've seen a motherboard even come with pins. I recently built an i7-8700K/Asus mobo/G.Skill ram/Samsung SSD Noctua cooler with an AMD Vega 64 liquid and it went together without a hitch. In fact I haven't had problems with a build in recent memory, but I suspect you didn't have the CPU fully locked in because it is almost impossible to pull one out of the mothernboard socket if it's securely latched.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    This was possibly my last homebrew. I never had much in the way of problems but the novelty wore off and I wanted something that worked out of the box.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Things I'd test. Not knowing what parts you have:

-Re-seat all PSU connections.
    -Check the mainboard's PCIE rail as well as the GPU to make sure all the connections are there.
    -Check the monitor and cable against known good hardware
    -Check the GPU against known good hardware. Don't need a full windows boot just unplug the test system's SATA connections and see if it wakes up.
    -Replace the PSU with a known good unit.

Bad motherboards are possible. But there are lots more crap PSUs out there, that are designed to be crap by their OEMs, than there are bad mainboards. And I have no clue what the guts of this system are.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    The power supply came with a rudimentary tester. It passed that test. I wonder whether a bad CPU could be causing the problem. My main problem is that I don't have replacement parts to test with. It would be a real pain to remove the power supply from my present computer.

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by jason124 View Post
    Sorry about your misfortunes on PC building if I may ask, what brand of motherboard did you get? As good of a brand as Asus is supposed to be, I have NEVER had a troublefree Asus system (motherboards, laptops even a router).
    I've had four 100% trouble free Asus homebuilts. The only problems I've run into have been bad sticks of non-approved-vendor RAM and an ELF power supply that I had replaced under warranty.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by daniell View Post
    The power supply came with a rudimentary tester. It passed that test. I wonder whether a bad CPU could be causing the problem. My main problem is that I don't have replacement parts to test with. It would be a real pain to remove the power supply from my present computer.
    What make and model of PSU? There are lots of crappy PSUs rated for say 500W, that will explode and catch fire if you try to pull 400W out of them.

You don't need to extract the PSU from a working system. Just swap in the questionable GPU, and unplug your SATA connections to see if the GPU outputs.

A bad CPU is unlikely to be the cause of your problems IMHO. Although bent LGA pins can cause all manner of hell, not the least being warranty hell.
    Last edited by Marc; 03-19-2018 at 04:56 AM.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Master debator.
    If the motherboard is bad likely the status LED's won't light, or they'll give you an indication if the memory or CPU may be bad by the number of beeps or color of the LED if the mobo has those things...

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Building your own computer is cool. My problem is that the last one I did keeps asking me to play tic-tac-toe.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I built my desktop 2 years ago with mostly ASUS and it went smoothly. The key factor for me was checking the compatibility of parts before purchasing. That and I watched couple of youtube videos on how to build gaming desktop computer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    My replacement motherboard and case arrived today. I wont deal with this until Monday. At least on Monday, if I get frustrated, I can call the motherboard manufacturer for assistance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    My replacement motherboard and case arrived. The case is still in the box. Today I installed the processor, cooler, and memory and the power supply. As before I shorted out the power pins. This time the cooler fan spun indicating a good board. Tomorrow I will deal with the replacement case. Hopefully the threading in the case will allow me to install the standoffs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I have a low frustration acceptance factor for this, so I can feel your pain. It's been a couple years since my last build. My last couple have been on asrock MB and have been very smooth.

scott s.

Boobies!
    One thing that has happened (with different makers) is older stock boards in the pipeline, with BIOS installs that are slightly out of date, so they will not fire up if you are using the latest and greatest processor.

Sort of a Catch 22--you need a processor to run the thing to flash it, so you can use the processor you really want to use. I remember a few years ago people were buying the cheapest processor that would fit, and then selling them after finishing their flash.

It may have been a bad board though as you say--but the advice about seating everything extra-carefully is good.

Hope round 2 goes better!
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    One thing that has happened (with different makers) is older stock boards in the pipeline, with BIOS installs that are slightly out of date, so they will not fire up if you are using the latest and greatest processor.

Sort of a Catch 22--you need a processor to run the thing to flash it, so you can use the processor you really want to use. I remember a few years ago people were buying the cheapest processor that would fit, and then selling them after finishing their flash.

It may have been a bad board though as you say--but the advice about seating everything extra-carefully is good.

Hope round 2 goes better!
    I agree that processor compatability can be a problem.
    Tough when you do not even get beep codes when you switch it on.

I did a build one time and got nothing when I got parts together. This was the only time I did a "barebones" build. It turns out that, with that setup, a certain amount of power draw was needed on the power supply for it to work. I learned this by doing what you did, and getting nothing, then talking to the company.

I had to plug in hard drive, floppy drive (you can check Wikipedia to see what these were), and CD drive, and maybe vid card, to put load on PS, and then everything went fine.

However, I have not heard of that problem before or since.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used to rely on "techspot" forums for problems. It used to be just knowledgeable enthusiasts. A few years ago, it seemed like helpful users got rare, and the place was populated with young gamers who had little knowledge.

That forum is still probably way better than at tomsharware or other similar forums.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    I spoke too soon. The board would not post. At the same time, I am fighting off a bout of bronchitis. I called the motherboard company. They said that it would not be the board. They told me to send them the board with the memory, processor on. They would troubleshoot it for me, then send it back. At this point I am totally fed up. I still did not take the case out of the box. Hopefully the standoffs will thread into this case. I really hope that I get back a working board. I am really depleted from all this

Master debator.
    Could you take a short video of the setup and what happens when you power it on? Something isn't right with what you're doing I think. I always mount the CPU in the motherboard, then mount the motherboard in the case before adding the memory and CPU fan and PSU and hard drives etc. I don't know how you're doing it exactly outside of the case even though it's possible it's not recommended...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    The motherboard along with the installed processor and memory is now with the board manufacturer. I could not go any further. Perhaps the BIOS needs to be flashed with an older CPU.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    Today I received my third motherboard. I hooked it as I did before. This time it posted. It is now in the case. Little by little I will wire it. Soon I will be able to do my next project. The rear rim needs to be replaced.