Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 68
  1. #1
    Master debator.
    Reputation: nOOky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,136

    Contractors, can I vent here a bit?

    We are having our main bathroom remodeled. All that is left is moving a light switch, mounting new towel holders, some minor drywall patching and mudding and painting etc. The changes were somewhat extensive, moving a wall, installing a completely different tub and vanity/sink etc. but the big stuff is done.

    We were told it would be finished Friday, no problem. We were excited because that means we have the weekend to put our house back together and clean seeing as drywall dust is everywhere. Of course no one showed up, not even a text or call, and no response to our calls. It's almost sad that this is par for the course for this type of work. If anyone with a 9-5 job exhibited the same behavior they'd be gone forthwith. The guy doing the work has done work for us in the past, but probably not in the future. His FB page says he's still alive and excited for the holiday weekend. F@ckers.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bikerjulio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,238
    Damn christians and all their holidays.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

  3. #3
    Darling of The Lounge
    Reputation: Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    3,771
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    If anyone with a 9-5 job exhibited the same behavior they'd be gone forthwith.
    I guess there's a reason he's self-employed.

    I do envy a job that allows one to work when they feel like it. However, flaking on customers will eventually catch up with you.

  4. #4
    Master debator.
    Reputation: nOOky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,136
    I know right? I had Good Friday off because of that too. Serves my friends in govt. employment right that they had to work.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,819
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Damn christians and all their holidays.
    Hey, there's already a thread for this here Christian bashing. For all we know the contractor just got drunk and lost his smart phone.

    Damn drunken contractors.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    We are having our main bathroom remodeled. All that is left is moving a light switch, mounting new towel holders, some minor drywall patching and mudding and painting etc. The changes were somewhat extensive, moving a wall, installing a completely different tub and vanity/sink etc. but the big stuff is done.

    We were told it would be finished Friday, no problem. We were excited because that means we have the weekend to put our house back together and clean seeing as drywall dust is everywhere. Of course no one showed up, not even a text or call, and no response to our calls. It's almost sad that this is par for the course for this type of work. If anyone with a 9-5 job exhibited the same behavior they'd be gone forthwith. The guy doing the work has done work for us in the past, but probably not in the future. His FB page says he's still alive and excited for the holiday weekend. F@ckers.
    It's in the contractor handbook! Take deposit; start work; ask for more money for materials and supplies; do work in substandard fashion; let employees smoke crack in customer's basement; disappear before work is complete; get sued; default on law suit and allow large judgement to be entered against you; move out of state to Louisiana before judgment can be collected. That's my experience with one Ed Fogarty.





    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,427
    Might be the contractor and/or his workers are Hispanic ?.

    Good Friday is a holiday for many Catholics ((obviously a lot of Hispanics are Catholics) and he might have assumed you knew he would not be working.

    In the NYC area, GF is not a local holiday, though my buddies factory in Queens, which employs mostly Hispanic workers, has the day off as part of their contract. As well, when my wife worked in New Mexico, it was a state holiday, as the state has a population that is near 50% Hispanic origin.

    Should've called or mentioned it though.

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Might be the contractor and/or his workers are Hispanic ?.

    Good Friday is a holiday for many Catholics ((obviously a lot of Hispanics are Catholics) and he might have assumed you knew he would not be working.

    In the NYC area, GF is not a local holiday, though my buddies factory in Queens, which employs mostly Hispanic workers, has the day off as part of their contract. As well, when my wife worked in New Mexico, it was a state holiday, as the state has a population that is near 50% Hispanic origin.

    Should've called or mentioned it though.
    And with this I have to apologize to bikerjulio for whining about his blaming Christian holidays as it appears that he probably hit the nail on the head.

    Good Friday is a holiday which results in many having the day off, as I had before having retired.

    Also I guess that I'm a failure as a Christian, forgetting about Good Friday like that. Easter too, for that matter.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,967
    So do catholics and christians take a vow of silence starting on Mardi Gras and lasting until Bloody Slaughter Thursday or whatever?

    Wondering if you can post the question to his FB wall.

  10. #10
    Master debator.
    Reputation: nOOky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,136
    I wouldn't mind him being off if he didn't tell us he'd be here Friday to finish up before he left on Thursday.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    694
    I spent about 6 months doing siding with a contractor. He knew what he was doing, but about once a week, he would get sh!tfaced, and show up to work hung-over. And usually on the last day of a job, he'd start drinking about 10:00 a.m., leaving me to tear down all the walkboards and verticals, etc.

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    So do catholics and christians take a vow of silence starting on Mardi Gras and lasting until Bloody Slaughter Thursday or whatever?

    Wondering if you can post the question to his FB wall.
    Has it been established that he is Christian taking off Good Friday, or is that just your anti Christian bias. He could be out on a drunk or in the hospital recuperating from an accident or just plain irresponsible.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,967
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Has it been established that he is Christian taking off Good Friday, or is that just your anti Christian bias. He could be out on a drunk or in the hospital recuperating from an accident or just plain irresponsible.
    Per the first post, "His FB page says he's still alive and excited for the holiday weekend. F@ckers." Everybody else is bringing up the holiday, so apparently I'm not the only one who got the impression.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    957
    Construction contractors that specialize in small jobs and remodeling are in a socially awkward business. Every customer seems to want their job done ASAP. That's reasonable. And in order to stay in business, the small contractor has to keep 4 -6 jobs going at the same time. If he doesn't bid a new job before he finishes the one he is currently working on, he ends up with a lot of unpaid down time. So the very nature of the business, by my observation, is that contractors almost always tell prospective customers that the job will be finished before it really will in order to secure the job. Then they finish it when they can, according to how the mix of jobs they are working on goes.

    This contractor may have intended to finish nOOky's project on Friday, but he could just as easily had to check another job that morning and been delayed there all day. I've seen it happen. Not excusing it, just reporting that it's pretty common. Not communicating with nOOky about whatever the delay was is poor form. Some are better with communication than others, but I think I've seen nearly every kind in that regard.

    Last fall our daughter and SIL were having some remodeling done to the house they bought before moving in. So schedule was important - it always is (except when we built our new house; I decided to avoid the anxiety and threw out the schedule) - and one morning the contractor didn't show up. He had a heart attack the day before, and his brother called to let us know. There are lots of reasons for delay. Some are even justifiable. They added a month to the schedule, and now being retired I went over and helped out some.

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Per the first post, "His FB page says he's still alive and excited for the holiday weekend. F@ckers." Everybody else is bringing up the holiday, so apparently I'm not the only one who got the impression.
    Sorry, I missed that. But, he doesn't need be Christian to take advantage of the holiday.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,967
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Sorry, I missed that. But, he doesn't need be Christian to take advantage of the holiday.
    I realize that. But I wasn't the first one to point out the christian holiday.

    Go ahead and cry "persecution" anyway, you know you wanna........

  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    I realize that. But I wasn't the first one to point out the christian holiday.

    Go ahead and cry "persecution" anyway, you know you wanna........
    Nope, don't wanna.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: El Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve98501 View Post
    Construction contractors that specialize in small jobs and remodeling are in a socially awkward business. Every customer seems to want their job done ASAP. That's reasonable. And in order to stay in business, the small contractor has to keep 4 -6 jobs going at the same time. If he doesn't bid a new job before he finishes the one he is currently working on, he ends up with a lot of unpaid down time. So the very nature of the business, by my observation, is that contractors almost always tell prospective customers that the job will be finished before it really will in order to secure the job. Then they finish it when they can, according to how the mix of jobs they are working on goes.
    This is pretty well stated. Small job remodel contracting is really difficult to begin with but for some reason it attracts a high number of flaky personalities.

    I do take umbrage with nOOKy comparing a 9-5 job with being a contractor. People that want a 9-5 job would never even get a job in construction. Most contractors I know work a 6-6 gig, 6 days a week. It's not a job for softies.
    I am currently juggling 25 different homeowners, and 2 large commercial owners, each with thier own idea of what my job should be and how I should do it. I absolutely never give an accurate time schedule, I lie through my teeth....always telling them it will be 2-3 weeks longer than I actually think I need. That way, if I finish early I am a hero. And if sh/t gets sideways, I have a buffer.
    The number 1 problem I have that ruins everyones schedule is owners making changes mid stream. While I have a reason to change the schedule for the owner that made the change, I have no reason for the other folks that have to wait becuase Mrs. Homeowner found something on Pinterest that she has to have, no matter how ridiculous.

    Pinterest is the worst.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,308
    worse than homeowners adding things mid-stream, is sloppy contractors who fail to fully evaluate a project, then confront the home owner with a bunch of unanticipated remedial expenses and delays through the reno process.

    I worked in construction 20 years ago, small business but mostly dealing with condo councils not homeowners directly. Nobody worked 6 days a week, ha. Usually a 9-5 day, but often the start of the day was slow. Could be our left coast culture is a bit different though. I would always assume any promised timeline for a project to be double what the contractor suggests. I'd rather put up with some delay than give the contractor reason to get grumpy and make up more remedial expenses.

  20. #20
    Master debator.
    Reputation: nOOky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,136
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    This is pretty well stated. Small job remodel contracting is really difficult to begin with but for some reason it attracts a high number of flaky personalities.

    I do take umbrage with nOOKy comparing a 9-5 job with being a contractor. People that want a 9-5 job would never even get a job in construction. Most contractors I know work a 6-6 gig, 6 days a week. It's not a job for softies.
    I am currently juggling 25 different homeowners, and 2 large commercial owners, each with thier own idea of what my job should be and how I should do it. I absolutely never give an accurate time schedule, I lie through my teeth....always telling them it will be 2-3 weeks longer than I actually think I need. That way, if I finish early I am a hero. And if sh/t gets sideways, I have a buffer.
    The number 1 problem I have that ruins everyones schedule is owners making changes mid stream. While I have a reason to change the schedule for the owner that made the change, I have no reason for the other folks that have to wait becuase Mrs. Homeowner found something on Pinterest that she has to have, no matter how ridiculous.

    Pinterest is the worst.
    Yea but see here's where I take issue with the whole thing. If you are going to lie that's one thing. If something else comes up I completely understand. But at least communicate with me, don't totally ignore me. If I have multiple things going on all at once I write it down so I can remember. If I can't make it because something else comes up I'd expect the common decency of a simple text or voicemail, not to be left wondering when no one shows up that said they would show up. If that's the norm with contractors it explains why they get such a bad rap. I have no sympathy, now the tip we were going to toss in at the end is gone.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: El Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    worse than homeowners adding things mid-stream, is sloppy contractors who fail to fully evaluate a project, then confront the home owner with a bunch of unanticipated remedial expenses and delays through the reno process..
    I'll take your word on this, I've never hired a sloppy contractor.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: El Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    647
    I agree on the communication, truly bad form.

    If you offered me a cash tip for doing my job I would almost be offended. One time I did get a gift card for dinner from a great homeowner, that was nice.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,967
    The number 1 problem I have that ruins everyones schedule is owners making changes mid stream

    AHA. This explains why John wants me to pick out everything for the bathroom and kitchen and be sure of it before we even get started. I'm not a fan of Pinterest, but the choices are fairly overwhelming. Suddenly makes sense why people pay for a designer!

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    We are having our main bathroom remodeled. All that is left is moving a light switch, mounting new towel holders, some minor drywall patching and mudding and painting etc. The changes were somewhat extensive, moving a wall, installing a completely different tub and vanity/sink etc. but the big stuff is done.

    We were told it would be finished Friday, no problem. We were excited because that means we have the weekend to put our house back together and clean seeing as drywall dust is everywhere. Of course no one showed up, not even a text or call, and no response to our calls. It's almost sad that this is par for the course for this type of work. If anyone with a 9-5 job exhibited the same behavior they'd be gone forthwith. The guy doing the work has done work for us in the past, but probably not in the future. His FB page says he's still alive and excited for the holiday weekend. F@ckers.
    The first rule of hiring anybody to do anything is to check their references and reputation. This guy must be the brother-in-law of a friend or a member of your religious congregation (the two worst reasons to hire anyone)?

  25. #25
    Eddy 53:11
    Reputation: JetSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,027
    "Hire a pro"
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Paint, construction, contractors... come in here
    By Touch0Gray in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-14-2016, 10:54 AM
  2. contractors and past criminal behavior
    By Henry Porter in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 05:17 PM
  3. question about contractors
    By CoLiKe20 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 02:41 PM
  4. Shoddy contractors = electrocuted soldiers
    By Fredke in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-19-2008, 07:59 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-28-2005, 03:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •