Shirtcocker

Cooper (and others)...ideas to mod a Monster Cruiser?

Just rebuilt the hub so I think that's working OK now, but what next for the monster? Ideas? With those 36" wheels I could do some wacky stuff....
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

No Crybabies
    Is there a picture somewhere?

Done with winter.
    I would assume he's talking about this.

Anyway, I have no cruiser style suggestions but I think there is a Danscomp like online catolog for cruiser stuff somewhere out there, I'd stay browsing for parts to get some inspiration.

Misfit Toy
    It's crying out for Hello Kitty streamers...
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

No Crybabies

72 pounds???

Quote Originally Posted by asterisk
    I would assume he's talking about this.

Anyway, I have no cruiser style suggestions but I think there is a Danscomp like online catolog for cruiser stuff somewhere out there, I'd stay browsing for parts to get some inspiration.
    Holy sheep!! That weighs almost twice as much as a tandem.

May as well mount a boom box on the handlebars, with a big car battery on a front rack to power it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You have to put a Surly flask on it.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by GTDave
    You have to put a Surly flask on it.
    I gots to get one of those. Local LBS has em...really cool.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed
    Holy sheep!! That weighs almost twice as much as a tandem.

May as well mount a boom box on the handlebars, with a big car battery on a front rack to power it.
    Yeah it's no lightweight. They make the things with the cheapest possible components as well. The HiStop hub that came with it was inadequate for the torque the wheel generates and was slipping. I had my LBS replace it with a Shimano hub and so far so good. Wouldn't it be cool if you had all the resources of the Moster Garage to make some kind of wicked chopper or trike from those huge wheels? Big chopper fork coming off the front with a standard sized wheel in place of the big one? I have put some red leather streamers on it, some fuzzy red dice and mounted some red cold cathodes along the chainstays, but that's about all so far. Trying to decide where to go next with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cooper (and others)...ideas to mod a Monster Cruiser?-moster.jpg  
    Last edited by Bocephus Jones II; 04-27-2006 at 10:32 AM.

Sticky Valentine
    If you could make some sort of giant spring fork for it... that would be totally rad.

Ya also need some white walls.... the thickest white walls you can get... or paint them on there. DIY it.

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    If you could make some sort of giant spring fork for it... that would be totally rad.

Ya also need some white walls.... the thickest white walls you can get... or paint them on there. DIY it.

joe
    Probably no on the whitewalls unless I paint em--the company that sells the bike is the only place you can get 36: wheels and I think that's the only model they make.

In need of sock puppet
    You've got a hell of a resource there. The best customs are going to need metal work, and I don't recall you mentioning that you weld or can use a torch. Pulling out that option, there's lots you can do with what you have.

- think about ditching that red paint, it's a little prissy for such a big bold ride.
    - get inspired for the look and colors from an old lake racer.
    - look at hotrod color schemes from the 50's, rat rods preferably (i'm liking the primer look these days - rust red w/mexican sign painting style for the graphics maybe)
    - r.a.d.i.a.l. spoke wheels, with the fattest chrome spokes you can find. even if it is just a 36 holer. Paint the rims to tie in with your color scheme.
    - custom building a springer fork would look pretty damn amazing. You could pull apart an existing cruiser springer and make new legs, then color match them to the frame.
    - if you could stretch it out with a torch and some added tubing, that would be an amazing look, but left as is, get the widest farmer tractor style flat bars you can find. Absurd wide. Lay them as horizontal as possible. No apehangers with that ride.
    - chop the fenders, maybe have them flared at the ends.
    - recover the seat, or better yet, find a seat like the new triple rail brooks springer, or one of the nerve or electra tractor style seat, and recover that.
    - A flat panel of steel between your top and bottom frame bars is a nice touch, and you can add graphics there.

edit: I'm trying to upload a few more pics, but the server is throwing a hissy fit. Something else to think about- I've seen a picture of you on this bike. The wheels are scaled perfect for a big rider, but oiddly they designed the frame waaay too short. Anything you can do to make it appear longer would really help the look. A swinger fork would do that, and lower the bike a little, but it really begs to have the frame stretched. Can I do it? please, pretty please?

Here are some of my fave customs:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cooper (and others)...ideas to mod a Monster Cruiser?-best_black05a.jpg   Cooper (and others)...ideas to mod a Monster Cruiser?-bike1a.jpg   Cooper (and others)...ideas to mod a Monster Cruiser?-blacknash01a.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by thinkcooper; 04-27-2006 at 04:01 PM.

In need of sock puppet

No Crybabies

go Mexican

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    Yeah it's no lightweight. They make the things with the cheapest possible components as well. The HiStop hub that came with it was inadequate for the torque the wheel generates and was slipping. I had my LBS replace it with a Shimano hub and so far so good. Wouldn't it be cool if you had all the resources of the Moster Garage to make some kind of wicked chopper or trike from those huge wheels? Big chopper fork coming off the front with a standard sized wheel in place of the big one? I have put some red leather streamers on it, some fuzzy red dice and mounted some red cold cathodes along the chainstays, but that's about all so far. Trying to decide where to go next with it.
    Mexicans have tried it all. Check these links:

http://www.lovelylowrider.com/

http://www.aztlanbicycle.com/

http://www.streetlowrider.com/

In need of sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed
    Go Mexican - Mexicans have tried it all. Check these links:

http://www.lovelylowrider.com/

http://www.aztlanbicycle.com/

http://www.streetlowrider.com/
    I agree. I really dig the lowrider look. It has it's place and it sure is an interesting style. I don't think I'll be atop my chopped cruiser anytime soon on a paceline ride, but these stylish rides sure are fun for slow, flat, around town cruising.

When I go out on my customized trike, I get an amazing amount of thumbs up approvals from folks in cars checking the bike out at a light. And the chopper always elicits giggles, in me and from bystanders. I like that.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper
    I agree. I really dig the lowrider look. It has it's place and it sure is an interesting style. I don't think I'll be atop my chopped cruiser anytime soon on a paceline ride, but these stylish rides sure are fun for slow, flat, around town cruising.

When I go out on my customized trike, I get an amazing amount of thumbs up approvals from folks in cars checking the bike out at a light. And the chopper always elicits giggles, in me and from bystanders. I like that.
    Well shakedown cruise with the new hub last night. Rock solid. No more slipping. Gonna probably repaint it at some point. Agree about the bright red. I already threw out the cheap saddle that it came with and am using a black Nirve saddle I got with embossed skulls on it and a CP crash rail on the back. The bike just screams out to be stretched. I don't do that kind of work, but I know some metalworkers that I cruise with that have offered to do some work on it. I think that would be THE look for it...with some really swept back bars.