RoadBikeReview Member

Cord cutters I need to replace my media PC Help!!!

I am using an older Chromebox from HP. It crashed on me last night and it keeps telling me I need to load a new OS. When I try and get a copy from Goggle they tell you to use a USB stick with attest 4g of space. When I try and reboot the Chrombox it keeps telling me there is a problem. I think the old box doesn't have enough space for the new OS because it only has 2g of memory. So my question is whats the better option get a new chrome box or get an apple TV. I have played with the Apple TV several times since it came out and every time I can't get past the stupid remote. I have been using a bluetooth keybord with a touch pad and its just so much better for finding what you want.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    I have been very happy with my fire tv and antenna. I have never tried anything eles though. The key to the antenna was to mount it on tge roof.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Forever a Student
    I'm a cord cutter.

Cord cutters don't use Apple TV or Chromebox or whatever, they don't watch TV.

That's sort of the meaning of the term. We've cut the cord with watching TV.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I think I paid $40 or $60 for my Roku box (I don't have a "Smart TV").

Between the $7/month Netflix subscription, whatever my wife pays for Amazon Prime, free Youtube and Smithsonian, and the antenna, it's more TV than we need.

I'd look into that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    I'm a cord cutter.

Judging from your 3-year post count, I suspect you spend plenty of time in front of another type of screen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I think I paid $40 or $60 for my Roku box (I don't have a "Smart TV").

Between the $7/month Netflix subscription, whatever my wife pays for Amazon Prime, free Youtube and Smithsonian, and the antenna, it's more TV than we need.

I'd look into that.
    I ended up getting an Apple TV. Now that I have has dome time to mess with it its allot better then I thought. Just about every thing I want to watch is on it.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Judging from your 3-year post count, I suspect you spend plenty of time in front of another type of screen.
    Not much better to do at work most of the days. Like today.

But yes, a computer screen is the only one I look at. No internet on the phone, no TV at all at home.

Y'all can do it too, it's quite easy. Finish the job. Cut the cords. Things like Netflix are not allowed by the way.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Y'all can do it too, it's quite easy.
    I'm sure it is. Lots of things are but that doesn't mean everyone needs, or even wants, to do it.

In the summer, when there's daylight until 10pm, I don't watch much TV other than the morning news. In the winter, when it's cold and dark at 5pm, I like to watch a show after dinner and before reading a book in bed.

"Cutting the cord" for me meant not paying the cable company.

No need to be smug.

a real member's member
    No internet on the phone, no TV at all at home... Things like Netflix are not allowed by the way.
    no movies or wifi internet at home?

man, you goin' all 19th century walden* and sht.

* or dick proenneke
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Youtube: Free cat/dog videos.

Amazon Prime Video: Free legal old movies and TV shows

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    no movies or wifi internet at home?

man, you goin' all 19th century walden* and sht.

* or dick proenneke
    Nope. No wifi at all. No movies.

I guess so. The past is nice. Quiet here.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

* or dick proenneke
    LOL. That was one of the best documentaries I ever watched.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    I'm using one of these off the air tuners to get HDTV out of the air.
    Stellar Labs High Definition Digital Tuner with HDMI and Component Video Output | DT-800 (DT800) | Stellar Labs
    I'm 6 miles from the transmitter and indoor antennas do not work when there is a high wind or in wet storms. My fringe HDTV antenna does! Stellar Labs VHF/UHF HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Yagi Antenna | 30-2440 (302440) | Stellar Labs
    I can get good service 27 miles out too, at my summer camp, using same tuner. Yagi antenna out there is in the TV room pointed out picture window. (since vines ate the VHF antenna 30' in air).
    There are old movies on this and movies, if you can stand the geezer drug ads. Mute on the tuner remote comes in handy.
    I quit paying for cable TV when they started running commericals on cable channels. Several decades ago. As I told the door to door cable salesman, the only sports I follow, I actually lead- biking. Do it yourself sports.
    We have KET here near Kentucky, which has two adult channles in addition to the regular PBS channel. Adult programming even in mornings, when cable is only carrying kiddie shows on the PBS main channel. Plus cable (in motels) cuts most PBS shows to 48 minutes, when there is actually 57 minutes of programming. If it is not PBS, I read a book. Oh, there is olymipics and ice skating on NBC occasionally.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm a cord cutter.

I actually spend 12 to 14 hours a day disconnected. I like to keep up with the modern world when I'm not working.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    I actually spend 12 to 14 hours a day disconnected. I like to keep up with the modern world when I'm not working.
    I hear ya'. I'm at the start of my field season so I'll be spending long days outside, in the sun, rain, wind, mosquitos... Sometimes it's nice to sit on a couch, even if is nice outside.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Nope. No wifi at all. No movies.

I guess so. The past is nice. Quiet here.
    I"m sure you have a smart phone (internet!!) to keep up with all the latest trends and stuff.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    I"m sure you have a smart phone (internet!!) to keep up with all the latest trends and stuff.
    surely?

No internet on the phone.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

We have met the enemy...
    surely?
    Shirley?

Cut the cable this year--internet only. For media consumption, I bought a cheap AOpen Mini-PC (Dual core), juiced it a little (faster processor, more memory), downloaded the Windows 10 Insider program free software (maybe one day I will have to pay, but not so far), and use that for streaming. I have a Windows media player wireless KB from the last build, so I can control it from the couch.

For the OP--I'm not sure that the problem is what you say it is. Your box should have both RAM (I think this is the 2 gig you are talking about) and some small sized SS drive--maybe 16 gb? So the problem is likely the SSD is not wiped, so that is the where the error is from?

HP actually has decent product support pages by device, so I would look for specific instructions for a reinstall. They may even sell you a 'Restore' jump drive with the original OS preloaded...
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year olds life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006