eminence grease

Corrales Starlight Parade, photography contained, more than 5 pictures.

We have two major parades here in the village, one at 4th of July and one on the first Saturday in December. Last night was the Starlight Parade, which brings out Corrales' finest all bedecked in lights. It happens down at the end of my street, on the main drag.

Missed it last year as I was in China, was glad to get out and catch it this. Honestly, it's pretty cheesey but a lot of fun. So we went down, grabbed a spot on the wall of a local restaurant and enjoyed the festivities. After the parade, the action moves to the community rec center for cookies and hot drinks and a visit from St. Nick. We walked a muddy mile down an irrigation ditch to drop in there. After spending an hour there talking with a co-worker about relocating to Dalian, we went home to a dinner of Coho and peas.

The first shot shows the display in front of the LBS, opened recently by some brave soul in an act of economic suicide. The second, a traditional building with its seasonal luminaria in full blaze. Luminara started in Mexico as a celebration of the birth of Christ and as a means to guide travelers. Starting as small bonfires, they morphed to paper bags with candles to plastic bags with electric lights. There is some debate as to whether they should be called Luminaria or Farolitos. I prefer Farolitos because everyone rolls their eyes and sighs when I call them that.

Enjoy -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Corrales Starlight Parade, photography contained, more than 5 pictures.-apar1.jpg   Corrales Starlight Parade, photography contained, more than 5 pictures.-apar2.jpg   Corrales Starlight Parade, photography contained, more than 5 pictures.-apar3.jpg   Corrales Starlight Parade, photography contained, more than 5 pictures.-apar4.jpg   Corrales Starlight Parade, photography contained, more than 5 pictures.-apar5.jpg  

Corrales Starlight Parade, photography contained, more than 5 pictures.-apar6.jpg   Corrales Starlight Parade, photography contained, more than 5 pictures.-apar7.jpg   Corrales Starlight Parade, photography contained, more than 5 pictures.-apar8.jpg   Corrales Starlight Parade, photography contained, more than 5 pictures.-apar9.jpg   Corrales Starlight Parade, photography contained, more than 5 pictures.-apar10.jpg  

Corrales Starlight Parade, photography contained, more than 5 pictures.-apar11.jpg   Corrales Starlight Parade, photography contained, more than 5 pictures.-apar12.jpg   Corrales Starlight Parade, photography contained, more than 5 pictures.-apar13.jpg  
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

Scary Teddy Bear

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    We have two major parades here in the village, one at 4th of July and one on the first Saturday in December. Last night was the Starlight Parade, which brings out Corrales' finest all bedecked in lights. It happens down at the end of my street, on the main drag.

Missed it last year as I was in China, was glad to get out and catch it this. Honestly, it's pretty cheesey but a lot of fun. So we went down, grabbed a spot on the wall of a local restaurant and enjoyed the festivities. After the parade, the action moves to the community rec center for cookies and hot drinks and a visit from St. Nick. We walked a muddy mile down an irrigation ditch to drop in there. After spending an hour there talking with a co-worker about relocating to Dalian, we went home to a dinner of Coho and peas.

The first shot shows the display in front of the LBS, opened recently by some brave soul in an act of economic suicide. The second, a traditional building with its seasonal luminaria in full blaze. Luminara started in Mexico as a celebration of the birth of Christ and as a means to guide travelers. Starting as small bonfires, they morphed to paper bags with candles to plastic bags with electric lights. There is some debate as to whether they should be called Luminaria or Farolitos. I prefer Farolitos because everyone rolls their eyes and sighs when I call them that.

Enjoy -

looks like fun.....luminaria..huh???
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by physasst
    looks like fun.....luminaria..huh???
    Farolito!

the fist
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    Farolito!
    I don't care if they are called, "chimichangas".

They remind me of Christmas in New Mexico. lovely.

nice pixxors.
    FlexiSexual

eminence grease
    Of all the places I have lived, I think this one does Christmas the best.

Misfit Toy
    If it wasn't for lack of a nearby ocean, I would like living in your town.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen
    If it wasn't for lack of a nearby ocean, I would like living in your town.
    It's the one thing I miss too.