Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    waterproof*

the Covenant girls basketball team's 100-0 victory

Been following this?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...u.2781526.html

"The Covenant School fired its girls basketball coach Sunday, the same day he posted a message on a youth basketball Web site saying he disagreed with school officials who had publicly apologized for the team's 100-0 victory over Dallas Academy. "
    * not actually a Rock Star

Old enough to know better
    I ve read several articles on the whole deal, and honestly its a tough call either way. A life lesson is learned on both teams. The team that lost learns that sometimes your gonna get pouned, and you just gotta weather the storm. The team that won [I]should[I] have learned how to win with class and dignity. But honestly I think it comes back to trying to protect our children from the kick in the pants life can give out at a moments notice. 15 yrs from now will that single game have changed any one of those girls life? Who knows? The important thing is they re getting a good education.
    We're currently thinking about halving the placenta and using one half for jerky and wearing the other half around as a hat. ~ Catzilla

What did you say? Huh?
    I think being beaten 100-0 is bad.

Being beaten 100-0, having the winning team coach fired for winning and talking about it and a national stink insuing, and then having your opponent who whiped your @$$ mercy forfeit the game to you-to put lipstick on your pig of a loosing streak in the name of being "christ like" is downright insulting.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

waterproof*
    There's another piece to this puzzle, I wonder if any of you have caught it in the coverage. I won't tell just yet but it puts the whole thing in a different light.

What did you say? Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    There's another piece to this puzzle, I wonder if any of you have caught it in the coverage. I won't tell just yet but it puts the whole thing in a different light.
    I haven't heard about this until you posted it-so I'm ignorant.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

ToF
    yup
    They were trying to break 100, shooting 3 pointers late in the game. thats plain excessive.

waterproof*
    ok here it is.

Dallas Academy, the losing school, is a school for "special" kids.

Covenant, the winning school is a nice private prep school whose girls BB team is one of the top in the state.

The coach at Dallas Academy, the losing school, has been scheduling games against regular schools for like 8 years now and has never won a single game. Not. One. Ever.

Does it look different now?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deastin
    I ve read several articles on the whole deal, and honestly its a tough call either way. A life lesson is learned on both teams. The team that lost learns that sometimes your gonna get pouned, and you just gotta weather the storm. The team that won [I]should[I] have learned how to win with class and dignity. But honestly I think it comes back to trying to protect our children from the kick in the pants life can give out at a moments notice. 15 yrs from now will that single game have changed any one of those girls life? Who knows? The important thing is they re getting a good education.
    I think the team that lost knows how it is like to be "pouned", considering the players have learning disabilities....
    Reminds me of the south park episode where the adults took on the kids ice hockey team.
    Blows your hair back.

What did you say? Huh?
    ok here it is.

Dallas Academy, the losing school, is a school for "special" kids.

Covenant, the winning school is a nice private prep school whose girls BB team is one of the top in the state.

The coach at Dallas Academy, the losing school, has been scheduling games against regular schools for like 8 years now and has never won a single game. Not. One. Ever.

Does it look different now?
    It still stinks. No matter what. I figured that might have been it. Does not change my view.

Call me jaded-ANYTHING that goes on at an educational institution is more important than the scores of the sports teams. The institution I'm doing my graduate work at-suffers terribly, due to the success of yore of the NCAA football team. Due to those epic wins 10-20 years ago-OBSCENE amounts of money are wasted on football and not invested in the academic studies and resources of the school. The work I and my colleagues and professors do will never make the news-and much of it is great and interesting....but anything regarding the football team is instant frontpage. This is true here-as well as many state schools. The operating budget for my department (not including salaries) for 1 YEAR is less money than it takes to send the football team to 1 away game. The obsession in the US with sports teams does nothing but hurt academics.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

waterproof*
    I disagree - because I do believe that what kids learn in sports _can_be_ as important as what they learn in class. Sometimes, more important.

My not so subtle point here is that I think the wrong coach got fired. The losing team should fire a coach who for years will only schedule games with teams against which his girls have no chance of winning. Then he goes on national tv and complains about losing?

What did you say? Huh?
    I disagree - because I do believe that what kids learn in sports _can_be_ as important as what they learn in class. Sometimes, more important.
    You should note I said "more important than the scores of the sports teams".

In any case, it depends on why the losing coach was hired. If the teacher is liked, and his students learn lessons and skills-that is what is important, not the score-embarrassing though it may be. Methinks. Of course, I've never given a $hit about school sports team scores anyway-so I'm not without bias.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Covenant coach learned that if you disagree with your boss in a public forum after embarassing the school, you get fired.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"She loves to limbo. That much is clear. She's got the right dynamic for the New Frontier"

2 busy workin' 2 hang out

My not so subtle point here is that I think the wrong coach got fired. The losing team should fire a coach who for years will only schedule games with teams against which his girls have no chance of winning. Then he goes on national tv and complains about losing?
    I disagree. The losing teams kid probably enjoy the games against the other schools, especially if the other schools realize that they are gonna win and make it fun rather than shooting for 100. Is there even a market for them to play games against similar schools?
    Dictated but not read.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No gifts.

Two realizations need to happen.

1. The losing team should not be playing in the same division if they can not compete at the same level. I don't expect to go on a training ride with Team Astana. They are on a different level and I understand that. It doesn't keep me from enjoying the sport.

2. If they do decide against all advice to play in the same division as far superior teams, then they need to take their lumps. If they need to get beat so bad that basketball reverts to an intramural sport, then so be it.

There is no rule that keeps the losing coach from throwing in the towel. If your team is getting demolished and you want it to stop, call a friggin time out, congratulate the opposing team on a game well played and go home.
    Tyler, you are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I played football (and basketball) in high school--- and I learned that the dumb kids who were held back a few years generally performed better on the field because they were three years older than anyone else the same grade--- and the sport is about physical development as much as anything.

I learned about hazing, fights in the locker room, the politics of who is chosen to play.

I learned later in life that many of the "stars" of high school sports end up arrested in their development--- and stay hometown heros throughout their adult lives (and are pretty much "stuck" in high school).

I learned no one really cares about how good you WERE in sports--- later in life. I learned that outside of parents, no one really cares about HS sports anyway.

If what kids learn in sports is as important as what they learn in the classroom, it illustrates the failure of our school system.

Anti-Hero
    Eh- It's a game. It's competition. I say ground & pound. Eat your young. Etc.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Hey, the Globetrotters never let the Generals win. Just sayin.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Lot's of wrong to go around here.

To have your starters in late in the game shooting 3's to try to score 100 while also trying to prevent the team of special needs kids from scoring at all is no different than "bullying" IMO. That's a great lesson that coach is teaching.

To leave your kids on the floor when it's clear that the other coach is intent on humiliating your kids is unconsionable IMO.

For anyone watching the game to not make the winning coach understand that that behavior is unacceptable....they should be ashamed.

For anyone whose kid is on the winning team who was at the game who didn't remove his kid from the gym during the game......shame on them.

For the coaches bosses to wait so long to act & then to act because he disagreed with them in public as opposed to because he was teaching kids it was OK to be a bully....is the height of either cowardice or ignorance.

And finally, for any kid on the winning team to activly participate in that....especially when it was obvious that they were bullying.......I suspect they will feel some guilt for quite a while.

Yea...let's blame the kids coach for scheduling a game against someon they couldn't beat....yea, that's what's wrong here.

len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Non non normal
    Two different philosophies always arise when this subject comes up. It doesn't matter if it is college football, little league baseball, or high school lacrosse.

The first philosophy is one Len has described. The purpose of the game is to win and piling on serves no purpose other than to humiliate the opponent.

The second philosophy is one that believes excellence and giving 100 percent is the most important thing about the game. It doesn't matter if you are losing or winning, you should always try your hardest and do your best.

I must say I am on the fence on this one. When I wrestled, I tried to control, dominate, and PIN (the ultimate defeat in sports) everyone I wrestled. I didn't care if they were missin an arm, had polio, were a girl, or were special needs.

ON the other hand, when I coached in a top rated travel soccer league, I wouldn't run up the score. But, I never told my kids not to do their best on the field. I would move players around, even take a player off the field, but NEVER would I tell them not to do their best.

Life is not the special olympics, but I am glad there is a special olympics.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by handsomerob
    ...There is no rule that keeps the losing coach from throwing in the towel. If your team is getting demolished and you want it to stop, call a friggin time out, congratulate the opposing team on a game well played and go home.
    But of course like all things for children today - it is someone elses fault. Let's blame the winning teams coach, the winning players, the system, etc. Amazing how all the fault is directed at the winning coach and players and none is directed at the losers - they made poor choices too.
    Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity.

Fecal indicator
    they had to have a high point differential to make up for the weak strength-of-schedule...
    eff all y'all...

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider
    Two different philosophies always arise when this subject comes up. It doesn't matter if it is college football, little league baseball, or high school lacrosse.

The first philosophy is one Len has described. The purpose of the game is to win and piling on serves no purpose other than to humiliate the opponent.

The second philosophy is one that believes excellence and giving 100 percent is the most important thing about the game. It doesn't matter if you are losing or winning, you should always try your hardest and do your best.

I must say I am on the fence on this one. When I wrestled, I tried to control, dominate, and PIN (the ultimate defeat in sports) everyone I wrestled. I didn't care if they were missin an arm, had polio, were a girl, or were special needs.

ON the other hand, when I coached in a top rated travel soccer league, I wouldn't run up the score. But, I never told my kids not to do their best on the field. I would move players around, even take a player off the field, but NEVER would I tell them not to do their best.

Life is not the special olympics, but I am glad there is a special olympics.
    Sorry, I don't buy it.

I've met you..........I suspect that if the coach of the other team came to you wanting to play your top level team, you would do one of 2 things:

1.) Decide not to play them because of what you said above or;

2.) Sit down with the opposing coach, find out what lessons he was trying to teach his special needs kids & then decide what lessons you could teach your kids by playing the game in a certain way. You would then do your best to do it that way. You would realize that having your kids out there trying to humiliate these kids was not in your kids best interest. You would work hard to find a way to uplift both your kids and the kids you were playing.......If you didn't think this was doable, you wouldn't have played the game.

Either way, you wouldn't have done what these coaches did.

In addition, if it was your kid playing on the winning team, you would have been embarrassed for him.

IMO

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

waterproof*
    Yeah I see Len's points, and was pondering last night what I would have done in either coach's shoes.

If I was the winning coach, why would I accept the schedule? Did he not know who he was playing? I suspect he did, and if he didn't that's just inexcusable planning from a guy who wants to be state champ.

If I'm the losing coach, he had to know he's in for a shellacking; so there's no surprise there. Has he been explicitly asking opposing coaches to tone it down, or is he just hoping? Either way, he should get the terms of the game settled before the tipoff.

Non non normal
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J
    Sorry, I don't buy it.

I've met you..........I suspect that if the coach of the other team came to you wanting to play your top level team, you would do one of 2 things:

1.) Decide not to play them because of what you said above or;

2.) Sit down with the opposing coach, find out what lessons he was trying to teach his special needs kids & then decide what lessons you could teach your kids by playing the game in a certain way. You would then do your best to do it that way. You would realize that having your kids out there trying to humiliate these kids was not in your kids best interest. You would work hard to find a way to uplift both your kids and the kids you were playing.......If you didn't think this was doable, you wouldn't have played the game.

Either way, you wouldn't have done what these coaches did.

In addition, if it was your kid playing on the winning team, you would have been embarrassed for him.

IMO

Len
    You are right. That is why I said I was on the fence on the differing philosophy. In reality, I would do what you stated above, because it wasn't a "real" competition. The whole thing was doomed from the start. Without going all political, isn't this the same problem as trying to mainstream special needs kids in regular classrooms at school. It sets both sides up for failure. The special needs kids get frustrated and the other kids can't give 100 percent.

However, if you and I are riding up a hill, .......... that is a different story my friend.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Fecal indicator
    it's called sportsmanship.

winning with class is apparently old school now.
    eff all y'all...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast