Thread: Crossroads

12 strings, no waiting

Crossroads

Anyone watch the show "Crossroads" on CMT? I love this show, which pairs a country artist with a more mainstream artist from a different genre. They do each other's songs, mostly as duets, and it's usually a pretty good show.

I believe the very first show was Elvis Costello and Lucinda Williams, which I have yet to see. Other shows have paired Pat Benatar and Martina McBride, Kid Rock and Hank Williams Jr., Bon Jovi and Sugarland, and Kelly Clarkson and Reba McEntire. They aren't all good--I thought Kenny Rogers and Lionel Ritchie stunk. Rumor is, a future show will pair Alison Krauss with Robert Plant.

Last night I watched the latest show, which paired Joss Stone and LeAnn Rimes. Man, oh man, can those women sing! They belted out a bunch of numbers simmering and dripping and burning with soul. It had a very Lousiana/Mississippi feel to it, which is amazing because Stone is British and Rimes has come a very long way since she was doing Patsy Cline. The last song felt like the needle scratching across the record. It was Rimes' biggest hit, "How Do I Live," which is a perfectly fine song, done well by Stone and Rimes, but it felt very out of place from the songs that had come before it.

If you like music for the sake of music, I highly recommend this show.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crossroads-normalize_jpeg.jhtml.jpg  
    Last edited by mohair_chair; 12-10-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Sticky Valentine
    I have seen Costello and Lucienda WIlliams on You Tube a few times, and it's great. They covered Wild Horses and it was amazing. They've done quite a few things together, and every one I've seen has been great (but then again I am a huge Costello fan booy).

And paring Costello with any respectable country artist isn't that of fthe wall for him at all.

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    Anyone watch the show "Crossroads" on CMT? I love this show, which pairs a country artist with a more mainstream artist from a different genre. They do each other's songs, mostly as duets, and it's usually a pretty good show.

I believe the very first show was Elvis Costello and Lucinda Williams, which I have yet to see. Other shows have paired Pat Benatar and Martina McBride, Kid Rock and Hank Williams Jr., Bon Jovi and Sugarland, and Kelly Clarkson and Reba McEntire. They aren't all good--I thought Kenny Rogers and Lionel Ritchie stunk. Rumor is, a future show will pair Alison Krauss with Robert Plant.

Last night I watched the latest show, which paired Joss Stone and LeAnn Rimes. Man, oh man, can those women sing! They belted out a bunch of numbers simmering and dripping and burning with soul. It had a very Lousiana/Mississippi feel to it, which is amazing because Stone is British and Rimes has come a very long way since she was doing Patsy Cline. The last song felt like the needle scratching across the record. It was Rimes' biggest hit, "How Do I Live," which is a perfectly fine song, done well by Stone and Rimes, but it felt very out of place from the songs that had come before it.

If you like music for the sake of music, I highly recommend this show.
    I'd hit it.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Alison Krauss and Robert Plant have a cd of duets out now. It's pretty good stuff. I haven't seen them on crossroads though.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.

Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
    I hate to rain on your love-fest but everything that has to do with CMT can go pound sand as far as I'm concerned. Given the rate that today's 'country' music contributes to the destruction of life as we know it, I'd just as soon watch Pat Roberston court the next generation of neocons.

Now here's some country music worth listening to:

www.corporatecountrysucks.com
    Last edited by Antonio_B; 12-10-2007 at 09:11 AM.
    hang out in Podium Girls - the desperation there is way funny - terry b
    I don't get either but that is irrelevant to the comedic impact and it's resulting effect on the male centric hegemony contained therein... - svendo
    when I was a n00b there were no message boards to clutter up with trolling posts. I had to do it the hard way....standing at the mall making fun of people loudly - Platy
    ...in short, antonio_b ... it's time to embrace your inner Travis Bickle - spirito

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio_B
    I hate to rain on your love-fest but everything that has to do with CMT can go pound sand as far as I'm concerned. Given the rate that today's 'country' music contributes to the destruction of life as we know it, I'd just as soon watch Pat Roberston court the next generation of neocons.

Now here's some country music worth listening to:

www.corporatecountrysucks.com
    Marshall Crenshaw is considered country now?
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
    Meh. I guess it seems to fit with the rest of the genre on the website.

What would you call it?
    I don't get either but that is irrelevant to the comedic impact and it's resulting effect on the male centric hegemony contained therein... - svendo
    when I was a n00b there were no message boards to clutter up with trolling posts. I had to do it the hard way....standing at the mall making fun of people loudly - Platy
    ...in short, antonio_b ... it's time to embrace your inner Travis Bickle - spirito

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio_B
    Meh. I guess it seems to fit with the rest of the genre on the website.

What would you call it?
    Seems more alt-country or country rock. Especially Drive by Truckers, Cracker.

Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    Seems more alt-country or country rock. Especially Drive by Truckers, Cracker.
    I agree...but, Country nonetheless.

As I recall, the whole Farrar/Tweedy gig was considered alt-country when it first came out. And, The Autumn Defense (another artist featured on the website) is comprised of two members of Wilco: John Stirratt and Pat Sansone.

12 strings, no waiting
    Why would you get caught up in nonsense like this? It's music. You either like it or you don't. It either appeals to you or it doesn't. Who cares where it comes from, and who is making or not making money from it? Who cares what the political beliefs of the artists are? What difference does it make? It's music. It's just music.

Gronk SMASH!
    I seem to remember seeing one with Elton John and Ryan Adams a few years back.
    They sang each others' songs rather than full-on doing duets.
    It was very good, but I am a fan of each.
    ... and so it goes

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    I was really hoping this would be a Ralph Macchio appreciation thread.

"He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Shirtcocker
    I'd love to have that tele.

Alien Musician

Lightbulb Ah!

I think he's thru with it so I bet it's on ebay.

Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
    I had it. It wasn't that good.

Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    Why would you get caught up in nonsense like this? It's music. You either like it or you don't. It either appeals to you or it doesn't. Who cares where it comes from, and who is making or not making money from it? Who cares what the political beliefs of the artists are? What difference does it make? It's music. It's just music.
    Sorry, Chair....I didn't mean to draw any political comparisons between Pat Robertson and the Country music scene.

I was merely stating that today's country music is so bad that it's really hard for me to listen to...no matter how much I might fantasize about certain female artists of the genre.

Grey Manrod
    Holy crap...when did Joss Stone get so hawt?!?!? I think I'd listen to her read the phone book.