Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I saw the title and thought this was a thread about a Scooby Doo episode
    If it was, I hate to spoil it for ya, but it's an old man in a Halloween mask that's causing all the trouble.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    People seem to have a fascination with crap that is unlikely to exist. Look how many shows there are on finding Hitler or bigfoot. Crazy.

Indeed...............yet there's big money in it!

Cat 6
    "Leisure Suit Larry and the Curse of Oak Island"?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Well this show has sucked me in for yet another season of meager results. It is truly a love hate relationship that I have with the show. On the plus side, it is a treasure hunt, a tried and true formula and as old a TV itself. The production values are high, the characters are mostly likable, articulate, and seemingly intelligent. it appears as though the search crew is spending a good deal of money, probably more than the History Channel is paying them but my patiece is wearing thin. I can't go much longer on scraps of parchment and leather that may have been part of a book. The Knights Templar tie in is getting old. Maybe they need to have a sighting of a Sasquatch wearing a frayed tunic adorned with the Templar Cross. Now that would be exciting.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    it's an old man in a Halloween mask that's causing all the trouble.
    and at the end, when he confesses, "if it weren't for those meddling kids ..," his voice sounds just like lionel barrymore.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I enjoyed watching the show for the puzzle aspect of it. I believe there could be something there. I agree that some of the theories are a bit out there. The Knights Templar for one as well. Also the Aztec tie in. I went streaming this year and so was not able to watch this season. Hulu has past seasons but not the current one.

off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I can't go much longer on scraps of parchment and leather that may have been part of a book.
    I can. How does that stuff, that old, get 150 below the ground? And two bone fragments, both dated what, late 1600's to mid 1700's, one European and one Middle Eastern ancestry? I don't know if they'll end up finding treasure there, but there's something there, something man-made for some reason.

The one thing that really intrigued me this season, and they didn't even cover it a bit, was the map they came up with to determine where they were going to drill the Geo-tech holes. I managed, from the internet, and by going through show footage frame by frame, to gather some information about it, but I really would have liked them to go over the details of how they developed it, what information they used to draw it up in the first place, more details of what it showed.

I did manage to discern that the hole they're drilling now, the Geo-tech hole marked H-8, is almost exactly at the center of the Chappel shaft, where in 1897 they drilled down and pierced what was called the Chappell Vault, and the drill bit came up with pieces of gold and parchment. And it appears next week, the digging claw comes up against something hard and flat at about 170 feet deep.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    I agree that some of the theories are a bit out there. The Knights Templar for one as well. Also the Aztec tie in.
    I enjoy the show but I have to say about the only theories we haven't heard involve space aliens and a kitchen sink. I record it so I can fast-forward through the same old voice-over sequences.

Somebody has some deep pockets there. Is it Marty or the History Channel? He keeps talking about cost and acting like Santa Claus.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobf View Post
    Somebody has some deep pockets there. Is it Marty or the History Channel? He keeps talking about cost and acting like Santa Claus.
    a google search found this...

Marty Lagina's net worth: $40 Million. Marty Lagina is an American reality television star, businessman, engineer, and winery/vineyard owner. He enjoys an estimated net worth of $40 million. Lagina reportedly makes around $500,000 annually in salary for appearing in the History reality series...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post

Marty Lagina's net worth: $40 Million. Marty Lagina is an American reality television star, businessman, engineer, and winery/vineyard owner. He enjoys an estimated net worth of $40 million. Lagina reportedly makes around $500,000 annually in salary for appearing in the History reality series...

That's the treasure......
    My brain hurts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    I can. How does that stuff, that old, get 150 below the ground? And two bone fragments, both dated what, late 1600's to mid 1700's, one European and one Middle Eastern ancestry? I don't know if they'll end up finding treasure there, but there's something there, something man-made for some reason.
    I get that and tend to agree with you. It's the ponderous pace at which they move and all the side bars that get me. Did they really have to go to France to make a Knights Templar tie in more acceptable? I also can't buy in to the Templar carvings in the dungeon being made with human teeth.

off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I get that and tend to agree with you. It's the ponderous pace at which they move and all the side bars that get me. Did they really have to go to France to make a Knights Templar tie in more acceptable? I also can't buy in to the Templar carvings in the dungeon being made with human teeth.
    Yeah, like any reality series, they stretch out the good stuff by including a lot of filler material. The trip to France didn't bother me as much as their seemingly weekly "special guest introducing their pet theory about what the treasure is" meetings in the War Room.

But yeah, rather than any of that, I want to see them delve into the history of the past digs there. The map they compiled for the Geo-tech dig showed the exact locations of the Hedden Shaft, the Chappel Shaft, and a number of other relevant locations, all plotted out. But in the early seasons, they dug holes to try to find the Chappel Shaft, and the Hedden Shaft, cause they didn't know their exact locations, and which directions they ran.

So where did this information come from, to plot on that chart? Their previous digs? Other information they've dug up? I was able to find some things here, that helped explain some of it, including older charts that look suspiciously similar to the one they're using for the Geo-tech holes. https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/blockhouse-blog. So the information had to have been out there for quite some time. Or are these charts just making their best guess at these locations? The research and information behind this would have been hugely interesting, far more than some trip to France.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the link rufus, I worked through a lot of it. It seems there is no end to the coincidences, conjecture, and conspiracy theories.

Ricardo Cabeza
    The entire premise of that show is ridiculous. Better, smarter, and more persistent people have failed to find anything at the site, so this show is going nowhere.

I've always found it silly how the various Oak Island write ups always mention various convincing pieces of evidence that have now been "lost", and all we have is a drawing someone made at some point that is supposed to be a representation of the awesome piece of evidence.

Reminds me of the group that claimed to have found a sunken city off Cuba 10-15 years ago during a sonar survey. They claimed they had it in the sonar record, but somehow never got around to letting anyone see it.

And don't get me started on that damn "flying saucer" thing in the Baltic Sea. I used to do this crap for a living - you find something, you go look at it, either by sending a diver or an ROV, and you make your assessment. It's either something, or it's not, but these clowns are deliberately building this into something it's not, and the suckers are buying into it.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles

Im curious how to pronounce his last name.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    hint: it doesn't rhyme with vagina...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    Like Laguna but swap the u for ee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    hint: it doesn't rhyme with vagina...
    I'll betcha it did before he started making all that money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12