Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

The Curse of Oak Island

I tell you, I really like The Curse of Oak Island on the History Channel. I've always been a history buff, and this show has just sucked me in. Knights Templars, buried treasure, pirates and mystery. At first I wasn't to in to it, but I can't stop now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    I tell you, I really like The Curse of Oak Island on the History Channel. I've always been a history buff, and this show has just sucked me in. Knights Templars, buried treasure, pirates and mystery. At first I wasn't to in to it, but I can't stop now.
    I have trouble getting really into it. I think it would play better if they had "tree knocks", Bobo and a Sasquatch tie-in. With none of the players walking around with a stick tied to their neck supporting a night vision recorder it just lacks a little.

Darling of The Lounge
    I saw the title and thought this was a thread about a Scooby Doo episode

Mehpic
    the show needs more aliens.
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

RoadBikeReview Member
    the place does indeed have a mystery attached to it, but the show is only quasi-interesting.

they wear out my patience by taking 5 min. of actual investigation and stretching it into an hour episode.

if they compressed an entire season into one 90-min show, it might be worth watching...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    All good points, especially the Sasquatch idea. As far as the show being slow, I agree. I love watching baseball so I am used to shows developing slowly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love that show! All of the good shows have way too many commercials though.
    2013 Trek 7.3
    2015 Specialized Jynx 27.5 MTB

Mehpic
    was it me or did they try to launch this show over a year ago?
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep, came out last year and then mysteriously went away. Must have run out of funding or they took a break because the hunt for treasure was going slowly.

Weed
    The episode I saw last night was underwhelming. One hour to show us how a diver found part of a dead tree in the swamp.

AJL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I saw the title and thought this was a thread about a Scooby Doo episode
    LOL! And now we've dated ourselves!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Scooby Doo isn't that bad, but if he had said Felix the Cat...

your text here
    growing up, my sister and i had a book that mentioned oak island. we always thought we would be the ones to discover the treasure. we decided to go on a more feasible search:

nessie.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Ricardo Cabeza

The Curse of Oak Island

Almost as bad as Icehole truckers or Bering sea retards
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    Almost as bad as Icehole truckers or Bering sea retards
    Blasphemy

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    It's not very interesting at all. Too much of a stretch of the imagination for me. Yes, it happened. No, there's no curse, no ghosts, and no goblins that ate people up. It was purely mother nature the law of gravity. I doubt seriously there's any treasure they'll ever find.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Like the show where the guys are looking for skeletons of giants, the problem is if they actually find something, then the show is over. The dirty little secret of the Bigfoot (re)searchers is that they know deep down they will never find anything so they can keep the show alive indefinitely fueled by conjecture and sketchy eye witness sightings.

Bobo and his pals at BFRC aren't totally stupid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ok, I know this is crazy, but I'm still watching two years later. I'm a history buff and the show is frustrating but that is what makes it cool for some reason. Better than the reality crud shows of self entitled folks that dominate the market.

RoadBikeReview Member
    as a cave diver, I was interested in the attempts to do underwater investigations at the Money Pit.

thought there might be something of technical interest to watch, but the producers opted to just stage some shamelessly ridiculous theatrics.

the antics of the goofy husband / wife team were especially laughable...to anyone even remotely familiar with confined space diving, their entire dive plan was simply a gigantic CF.

the sequence with John Chatterton, an accomplished wreck diver, was, from a technical diving perspective, much better, but naturally nothing was found...

reality tv...what a misnomer.

a real member's member
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree that reality tv stinks and I'm sure a trained/knowledgeable diver laughs. Kind of like when military movies totally mess up uniforms on shows. Still, I find myself tuning in to watch or watch on DVR which is most of the time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    People seem to have a fascination with crap that is unlikely to exist. Look how many shows there are on finding Hitler or bigfoot. Crazy.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    People seem to have a fascination with crap that is unlikely to exist. Look how many shows there are on finding Hitler or bigfoot. Crazy.
    I find the story intriguing, but ultimately hard to believe. If any of the items that are reported to have been recovered over the years were available for examination, that would be a different story. However, like all "evidence" in things like this, it all seems to have been misplaced or lost somehow.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    ...they wear out my patience by taking 5 min. of actual investigation and stretching it into an hour episode.

if they compressed an entire season into one 90-min show, it might be worth watching...
    That seems to be the formula for a lot of the documentary-type shows, When the episode gets to a point that something is about to happen, they cut to a commercial. After the commercial, a good bit of the previous footage and narration is repeated. Some shows are interesting, but that format is taxing.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    LOL! And now we've dated ourselves!
    I'd date myself. I'm good-looking, and I always call when I say I will.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast