Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Cycling Karma - Interesting story

I have purposely withheld something that I would have normally shared with the Lounge to see exactly how everything would turn out. Well, I am at the conclusion and it is time to share.

On May 14th I was the high bidder on a Waterford on ebay... here was the listing: (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2905&rd=1&rd=1

I didn't so much need another bike as I just felt that it was going to go so cheap that I could part it out and keep the frame for a future build. I figured that my riding buddy could use the Ksyrium SLs and I could sell the group on eBay.

Well, after some shipping delays because the seller didn't use a bike box and was trying to find the cheapest way to ship it, I received the bike about 10 days later. I was a bit disappointed when I inspected the bike as it had been more neglected than I thought and was not in "excellent working condition" as the seller had promised. The rust spots on the frame are a bit rough and the stem was frozen in the steerer.

I emailed back and forth with the seller inquiring about the history of the bike and how it came to be in such bad shape. I didn't get any real answers and started to get that feeling that this bike had a questionable past. I sent Waterford an email with the serial number to get any information on it and specifically asked if it was stolen. I checked the stolen bike database and got nothing there either. After a few days, I didn't hear back from Waterford and decided to ask the seller for either a complete refund and I ship it back to him or some sort of partial refund. He sent me an email agreeing to refund me $170.

At that point I figured I would be keeping the bike, so I started to tear it down. I had to dremel the top of the stem off to remove the fork, and when I did I noticed that Waterford had written the original owners name on the steerer tube of the fork in Sharpie. It was barely legible but after a couple of Google attempts I came up with a blurb about this guy with the same name, on the same bike, on a cycling club's website. It even had his email address. So, I sent him an email letting him know my concerns and that I wanted to verify that it wasn't stolen. The email finally got to him about 4 days later and he replied that the bike had indeed been stolen from him about a month prior.

For brevity sake I will wrap this up quickly.

The seller told the police that he got it at a garage sale, so he was absolved of any guilt (rightfully or not I will never know)
    I filed a claim with PayPal and received a full refund with the cooperation of the seller
    The original owner had already purchased a new bike and really was so pleased to hear from me about his bike that he told me to keep everything but the wheels, cassette, pedals, crankset, and saddle.

So, now that it is all concluded, I am left with a partial group and Waterford 2200 frame at no cost to me, as well as the knowledge that I did the right thing.

Karma... kinda crazy sometimes, isn't it?
    Tyler, you are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    If the seller had somehow snagged his teste-satchel climbing over a barbed-wire fence, your story would have been perfect.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboy389
    If the seller had somehow snagged his teste-satchel climbing over a barbed-wire fence, your story would have been perfect.
    I spoke at length with the detective assigned to the case and the guy had no criminal background, so they didn't press him very hard at all even though the seller had emailed me that he got the bike a couple years ago from a friend and not at a recent garage sale. After seeing some of the other items he sells, I don't know what to make of him.

Ironically, the thing that made me most suspicious was how a nice bike got to be in such rough shape, knowing most people that drop a bunch of money on a bike would take really good care of it. Turns out that the actual owner just had rode the hell out of it since he got it and didn't get into the habit of wiping it down after sweating on it.

Here is a pic of the bike in case you can't use the link.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cycling Karma - Interesting story-waterford-2200.jpg  
    Tyler, you are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met.

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    Are you talking karma in action, or you banking some good stuff?

I'm glad the universe (sort of) righted itself on this one. Too bad our buddy is still out a nice set of wheels.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonlime
    Are you talking karma in action, or you banking some good stuff?

I'm glad the universe (sort of) righted itself on this one. Too bad our buddy is still out a nice set of wheels.
    I will find him a nice wheelset if it kills me.

It sucked to have to ask for them back after he had already cleaned them up and mounted the Contis.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    You spoke *at length with the detective assigned to the case*? When someone broke into my moving van and stole my $2,000+ Zanconato, I had to go down to my local NYPD precinct and file a report. All I got was a slip of paper with a file number and instructions to "Call 911 and give them that file number if you ever see the bike." No one even mentioned the word detective. Same thing goes for when I was slammed by a hit-and-run driver. I got a piece of NYPD paper and a shrug.

I eventually got the Zank back from the guy who purchased it from the thief. The buyer literally rode it into the ground over 12 months.

Good on you, handsome. Enjoy your bike.
    Riding to break the cycle of breast cancer in the Young Survival Coalition Tour de Pink--3 days, 200 miles.
    www.ysctourdepink.org

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    Quote Originally Posted by handsomerob

It sucked to have to ask for them back after he had already cleaned them up and mounted the Contis.
    Yeah, they looked really nice on the EM.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Great story...Looking at the sellers other items, he is either a big garage sale fan or a fence for stolen goods
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Sticky Valentine
    Handsome AND a good guy. Sheesh... if only you had a hole in your upper lip..... Oh, wait!

Good on you!

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    Great story...Looking at the sellers other items, he is either a big garage sale fan or a fence for stolen goods
    That fact was part of my long discussion with the not so eBay savvy detective... I thought the exact same thing and I wanted him to verify that he didn't have a house full of stolen goods.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Handsome AND a good guy. Sheesh... if only you had a hole in your upper lip..... Oh, wait!

Good on you!

joe
    I got better

and for those that didn't catch the reference... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

Seat's not level
    Very cool. Nice follow through on you hunch. Time well spent and good karma to boot.

scruffy nerf herder
    I wonder if that 'nago was on the up and up....

just kidding. If he puts silver tape on that thing Im going to bust a cap in his arse.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

Sticky Valentine
    Invest the money you'd have spent in gettin her all cleaned up and back at Waterford for a sweet new paint job, eh'?

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

In need of sock puppet
    Great story. Someday, this DeRosa is gonna make her way back to me, some how, just know it. Your post gives me faith.

Stolen Bike Thread

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Handsomerob is a good guy. He sold me a 80's Colnago Super for a very fair price out of the kindness of his heart. We've done a couple other deals, mostly him paying and me shipping the parts to someone else as a gift I suspect. GOOD ON YOU!

Sharp
    Really nice story HR. Its a great thing knowing there are people still out there like you - integrity is always very, very cool. May many good turns come back to you.

Cat 6
    Very nice! Sweet looking ride as well...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by funknuggets
    I wonder if that 'nago was on the up and up....

just kidding. If he puts silver tape on that thing Im going to bust a cap in his arse.
    It definitely was. I actually paid the bike shop directly for that bike. They knew the guy that owned it as a regular customer. (Also, the Dream isn't going north. I did some measurements and am quite certain it would be too small. I found something different that will be going up there in its place.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasfast
    Handsomerob is a good guy. He sold me a 80's Colnago Super for a very fair price out of the kindness of his heart. We've done a couple other deals, mostly him paying and me shipping the parts to someone else as a gift I suspect. GOOD ON YOU!
    Actually, what goes around comes around. That seatpost I sent you went on a bike for my buddy KP, but that bike is now my "A" ride. You can see that shiny post here: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/att...1&d=1182626227

Whatever happened to the Super? That was a truly amazing transformation. Did you end up selling it?

AYHCSMB etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by handsomerob

know where i can get a nice wheelset?
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haiku d'etat
    know where i can get a nice wheelset?
    As a matter of fact, I have a Dura Ace hub/blue Mavic OP wheelset with your name all over it.

I am going down to the Gulf Coast for vacation tonight after work. We need to get together when I get back. I think I have a couple other items of yours as well.

Banned forever.....or not
    Reminds me of a story about one of the women on our team (who is now on a Pro team). A few years ago she crashed out of the Quad Cities Crit, and while the EMT's were patching her up, some low-life stole her bike. A year and a half later, she got a call from a bike shop in California about her bike. Some guy had brought it in for a tune up, and they had found her name and phone number rolled up in the bars. I know that the cops grabbed the guy, but I never found out what happened to him.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Non non normal
    Cool story. You did everything right and everything turned out right except it sounds like the guy got away with the theft. I think the detective was just being lazy ( Actually has higher priority work than to chase the stolen bike). If you bought it at a garage sale you would know the location. If the guy said he forgot the location of where he bought it I would slap the cuffs on.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast