Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Good news everyone!
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,464

    Damn I washed my patch kit

    I picked up a glueless patch kit from the LBS this weekend, but left it in my pocket and it went through the washer and dryer. Is it still good or did I just trash it? It's one of those tiny Park brand ones.

  2. #2
    waterproof*
    Reputation: Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    40,591
    mine's been in the bottom pocket of my seatbag for about 3 years, thru all kinds of torrential rain... of course I keep spare tubes in the bag so I haven't had to find out yet
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

  3. #3
    still shedding season
    Reputation: kykr13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I picked up a glueless patch kit from the LBS this weekend
    Did you trade the bottom bracket for it?

    Probably OK, but for about a dollar I might replace it rather than wonder. Murphy and I are pretty good friends.

  4. #4
    Good news everyone!
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by kykr13
    Did you trade the bottom bracket for it?

    Probably OK, but for about a dollar I might replace it rather than wonder. Murphy and I are pretty good friends.

    I traded 13 dollars cash munny for two tubes and it. What a steal

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bike_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I traded 13 dollars cash munny for two tubes and it. What a steal
    That's a hell of a deal. Last tubes I picked up at my LBS were $7 each.

  6. #6
    Good news everyone!
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_guy
    That's a hell of a deal. Last tubes I picked up at my LBS were $7 each.

    I hear that shop cost on a tube is about 2 dollars. He charged 5 each for the tubes and 3 for the Park patch kit. I guess that's not too bad, tubes are about 3 bucks online though, and if I was smart, I'd buy a bunch the next time I order some parts in.

  7. #7
    Moderatus Puisne
    Reputation: Argentius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    16,070
    It was a message from Fate not to trust glueless patches...

    Really, though, they will get you home in an emergency, but little else.

    The Lezyne guys, tried to tell me their glueless patch was as good as a vulcanizing one, so I put it to the test my next flat, making sure to rough up the surface and press hard for a full 30 seconds.

    It DID work pretty well. The tire held air.

    For about a week. Then pffffffftttttttttttttttttt............ done.

  8. #8
    Good news everyone!
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius
    It was a message from Fate not to trust glueless patches...

    Really, though, they will get you home in an emergency, but little else.

    The Lezyne guys, tried to tell me their glueless patch was as good as a vulcanizing one, so I put it to the test my next flat, making sure to rough up the surface and press hard for a full 30 seconds.

    It DID work pretty well. The tire held air.

    For about a week. Then pffffffftttttttttttttttttt............ done.

    The bladder on my Camelbak consists mostly of glueless Park patches. I did have one fail on me recently though. My cross bike was shipped with a flat basically, and I didn't have any properly sized tubes so I attempted to patch the one that it came with. It was one of those 'thorn resistant ones' so it's sort of a boat anchor. Anyway, I roughed it up and applied the glueless patch but it was sorta over one of the "seams" on the outside of the tube so as soon as I aired it up the patch bubbled in the center and wouldn't hold air long at all. Then I somehow lost the center part of the Presta valve trying to air it up, epic fail. So anyway, I threw in a 700 x 23 tube I had laying around which will probably fail catastrophically on me at an inopportune time, but so far it's still holding air and weighs way less than the thorn resistant one it had.

  9. #9
    Moderatus Puisne
    Reputation: Argentius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    16,070
    I hate TR tubes. They ride like garden hoses -- you're better off! If you need to, use thicker tires or a flat-protection strip.

    I am cheap / eco-friendly enough that i still patch my tubes, the "real" patches work pretty well, atmo.

    Oh, and a 700x20-25 tube WILL work in a CX bike just fine, it's just a little easier to flat, stretched like that.

  10. #10
    Good news everyone!
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,464
    Yeah so far it hasn't exploded yet. I couldn't believe how thick my tube was when I pulled it out. Damn that sounds bad. Anyway, I still haven't figured out what pressure I need to run for most conditions. I'm experimenting. Too much and I'm losing control on sandy patches offroad, too little and I'm struggling hard on the street and fast sections. Yesterday I ran about 45 PSI and it seemed alright.

  11. #11
    Wave, dammit!
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I traded 13 dollars cash munny for two tubes and it. What a steal
    Now you have to go back to the shop so the owner can accuse you stealing special ceramic tubes that weren't supposed to be sold should have cost eleventy gazillion dollars... each...
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

    Just be seen riding your bike.

    Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

  12. #12
    Moderatus Puisne
    Reputation: Argentius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    16,070
    I used 60, for mostly rough pavement, on 700 x 35's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Yeah so far it hasn't exploded yet. I couldn't believe how thick my tube was when I pulled it out. Damn that sounds bad. Anyway, I still haven't figured out what pressure I need to run for most conditions. I'm experimenting. Too much and I'm losing control on sandy patches offroad, too little and I'm struggling hard on the street and fast sections. Yesterday I ran about 45 PSI and it seemed alright.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10,814
    Did some laundry the other night, and pulled my sunglasses out of the washing machine along with bike stuff.

    They're fine, all in one piece, but still smudgy. Go figure!

  14. #14
    Good news everyone!
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569
    Now you have to go back to the shop so the owner can accuse you stealing special ceramic tubes that weren't supposed to be sold should have cost eleventy gazillion dollars... each...
    Yes, it's the latest and greatest selling strategy to accuse your customers of fraud and/or theft when they attempt to buy things from you. Just look at Walmart, it's their business model!

    Sir, I notice you happen to be leaving the cash register with a Walmart bag and several items purchased within the store. Please provide me with the receipt for this purchase, because I don't trust that you paid for it! Okay, looks like you did in fact pay for that gallon of milk. Thanks for shopping at Walmart, please come back soon and let us accuse mistrust you some more!

  15. #15
    Call me a Fred
    Reputation: MikeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    17,036
    I found my bill fold in the washer a few days ago. I need to get a new one now. Is money laundering still illegal?
    Mike

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

    Sleepy John Estes

    H

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JCavilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    11,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I picked up a glueless patch kit from the LBS this weekend, but left it in my pocket and it went through the washer and dryer. Is it still good or did I just trash it? It's one of those tiny Park brand ones.
    It's no good any more. But it was no good before, because those things are no good. So, no harm, no foul.

  17. #17
    Good news everyone!
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker
    I found my bill fold in the washer a few days ago. I need to get a new one now. Is money laundering still illegal?

    Yep, you're missing your calling. I suggest you start up a car dealership in Miami as a front for your coke money.

  18. #18
    12 strings, no waiting
    Reputation: mohair_chair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    20,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I picked up a glueless patch kit from the LBS this weekend, but left it in my pocket and it went through the washer and dryer. Is it still good or did I just trash it? It's one of those tiny Park brand ones.
    It will work just as well now as it would have before you washed it. Which is to say, good luck!

  19. #19
    Good news everyone!
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,464
    I'm getting the feeling that some people don't like Park glueless patches.

  20. #20
    Cheese is my copilot
    Reputation: wooglin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    3,892
    I patched 8 tubes today. Nine actually, but I screwed one up so only 8 hold air.

    Six are for my commuter which kinda sucks since I don't commute anymore.
    Life is better in the big ring.

    http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook