Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    This is so damn true. Once a week a friend of mine back east calls, it's the same thing. "How are you feeling" I think he expects me to announce my impending death one of these days.

I'm a stage one ovarian cancer survivor. Sock, you and I are very lucky people -- early detection! Treatment may suck, but you can and will come through this.
    A lady I worked with was diagnosed with breast cancer and has undergone treatment for it. she breezed through the chemo and radiation treatments and never stopped working. Strong lady.

My dermatologist recently found four spots on me, two on my face and two on my hand. I used a chemo cream on my face and it was very unpleasant. I spent 5 weeks doing very little more than sitting in a chair, too tired and weak to really care. I can't imagine how hard it is to undergo treatment for the real deal. You all have my admiration and best wishes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My friends dad got diagnosed with stage 2 throat cancer 2 yrs ago. He's 70. Went through chemo and radiation, came out cancer free after all of it so don't give up hope.

Frog Whisperer
    the only advise i can give comes from the perspective of a guy that has never had to deal with a diagnosis on himself. But I have watched both sisters pull through diagnosis and treatment. My youngest, 3 times, three different cancers. I can only wish you strength and health for the future, Remember, we really are here for you, we are real people behind our avatars and nicknames and many of us care very deeply about the subject and our imaginary fiends. Fight it with all your heart and soul and remember, we are here to listen and do what we can.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Decrepit Member
    Joe Biden's son, Beau, died yesterday of brain cancer. He was 46. Bummer.
    -Stan
    my bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
    Joe Biden's son, Beau, died yesterday of brain cancer. He was 46. Bummer.
    I'm sure the OP appreciates you bringing that depressing tidbit into the thread; I'm sure they have not been bombarded by wall-to-wall news coverage about it.

You must be a hit at parties, we need to hang. Digits, pronto.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    My wife was diagnosed with cancer about six months ago. I lost 20 pounds and could not sleep. My wife was more worried about me than herself. I am 68 and she is 65. We got married when I was 22.
    She had cancer of the uterus. First the bad news. The lab found an aggressive cancer after the surgery. Now the good news. It was stage 1A. The lympth nodes were clean. Since it was an aggressive cancer, they gave her three radiation treatments and 4 chemo treatments. Two months ago her scan came back clean.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    I'm sure the OP appreciates you bringing that depressing tidbit into the thread; I'm sure they have not been bombarded by wall-to-wall news coverage about it.

You must be a hit at parties, we need to hang. Digits, pronto.
    No worries, Scoop is welcome to put that here. Yes people die of this disease and now I know, more that than I did two weeks ago. Beau sounds like a wonderful person. I am sure he was genuine when he spoke of his family and that speaks volumes about him. I see this as a way to refocus and put my priorities in line. Cycling comes in about 10th.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    My Mom is 83, I haven't told her this news. I live thousands of miles away from her and this isn't something she needs to be worried about. She is a classic worrier and would be more worried about it than I am, or at least she would let it affect her as if it were that case. Is keeping news like this away from a parent not a bad idea.

Obviously my kids, they won't hear anything from me about how or what is making Daddy need some work for his sore throat. My wife just asked them to cut me some slack when I get tired. I haven't yet felt especially tired.

TOG, Snap thanks for the stories. I know you both so well through the years ( we have never met) stuff like that really is appreciated.

Daniell, great news. Wchevron, likewise, great news. Thanks for posting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    The interesting and comforting thing is that dealing with a lot of cancers is different today then 30-40 years ago. I was diagnosed with Chronic Leukemia 15 mos. ago and if it hadn't been an aggressive version, I might have gone 20 years before having to deal with it. This is currently a disease that has no cure, only treatments to manage. So I just finished 6 mos. of chemo that was a very targeted treatment with relatively mild to moderate side effects, though cycling has taught me how to deal with suffering so maybe the treatments might have been worse for a non cyclist !. But I know that 40 years ago I would not be here typing (besides there being no internet !). Such is the advances in medicine.

Those advances are more then half the battle, alongside good medical insurance !, attitude is the other. Right now I'm more concerned about a screwed up knee that keeps me off the bike then I am about my CLL. Once my knee gets better, and hopefully it won't need surgery, I'm back on the bike and the CLL is not slowing me down as there's no reason. My doc keeps me in the right attitude telling me he's seeing HUGE advances in treatments with targeted drugs for all kinds of cancers, my sister (the retired nurse) said the same that with the ability to sequence DNA, the advances are happening in leaps and bounds, so the goal is to treat for for the immediate future, when even better drugs are available.

That changes the whole attitude of how you look at your disease and allows you to consider that you might actually live to be 80, when dementia will kick in and you will have forgotten about your cancer battle, LOL !.

Such is how you live your life today. Am I scared ?, a bit. Have I been stressed ?, yup, but only a bit more really than about a whole lot of everything else that life throws at you. It's now just "one more thing" and I can deal with that.
    Last edited by Steve B.; 05-31-2015 at 03:37 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    I know of someone who also had throat cancer. After under going radiation therapy, he is considered cured. He then got the ok to have hip replacement surgery. Now he is enjoying his life.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sookpuppet View Post
    My Mom is 83, I haven't told her this news. I live thousands of miles away from her and this isn't something she needs to be worried about. She is a classic worrier and would be more worried about it than I am, or at least she would let it affect her as if it were that case. Is keeping news like this away from a parent not a bad idea.

Obviously my kids, they won't hear anything from me about how or what is making Daddy need some work for his sore throat. My wife just asked them to cut me some slack when I get tired. I haven't yet felt especially tired.

TOG, Snap thanks for the stories. I know you both so well through the years ( we have never met) stuff like that really is appreciated.

Daniell, great news. Wchevron, likewise, great news. Thanks for posting.
    Personally, I told everyone. I have two developmentally delayed children and for a long time I never spoke of their problems (or by extension, mine). That, I believe, made me an incredibly cantankerous, crabby person. When I decided to share that information and tell people what it was like to live this life (not for pity, just for empathy), I felt much better about both the situation and with life in general.

Same went for my cancer diagnosis. I was fine with sharing and letting people know what to expect. In a way, I may have had it easier than you as I did not have to explain it really to my children and my parents are significantly younger (60s). As someone going into the health field (second career as an RN) I can fully appreciate your wish to keep things private, but I will say that for me, the decision to share and be politely matter of fact went a long way to keeping MY stress down, which can go a long way for others when it comes to coping, IMO.

Anytime you feel the need to talk/vent, feel free to hit me up, here or via PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    I am 30% through the treatments. That is 12 of 35. I have been feeling really good, better than before i was diagnosed. I have been walking jogging and cycling and losing weight has really helped. My voice is changing. On Saturdey I felt good and bought one of these for my nephew who was doing good in his studies at university to celebrate his passing a fairly big assignment. It was my first "drink" in a month, I had one 11 ounce drink. Bad idea. Sunday morning I felt like I had been hit by a truck. Throat really sore, headache and sore guts and I lost a day i could have spent with the kids lying in bed feeling sorry for myself and swallowing pain killers. Just goes to show how toxic alcohol really is. I think I can live without it. back to healthy food again for me.

And I love this drop. It is a good beer.
    Last edited by sookpuppet; 06-07-2015 at 06:34 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I got diagnosed with a stage 2 cancer (would rather not get into specifics about the disease itself) at the end of April. I have been undergoing chemo since May 4. They have me on a pretty aggressive regiment so I'm almost 2/3 of the way through it. Tomorrow I go in for another day of treatment. I do not know what radiation is like, but chemo sucks. I mean, it really sucks. i feel like hell now almost all the time with a lot of fatigue and nausea. I used to have good hair; that's gone for now. Plus I am missing out on a lot in life, trips and so forth. I never thought I would have to deal with something like this at the age of 30. A year ago at this time I was pumped up to ride a double century in Vermont. Now, I am out of breath when I go up the stairs too fast. The one good thing is the prognosis for my particular cancer is good.

Best of luck on your war with this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My husband's friend came over the house for BBQ yesterday, first time we've seen him since learning the brain tumors were cancerous. He just started radiation/chemo so the side effects haven't set in just yet, and he takes anti-seizure meds as a preventative measure; still not allowed to drive or ride a bike or anything fun/independent.

He's also doing immunotherapy, which sounds new but promising. He's still himself, just less animated/more tired. Quiet but alert. We are bracing ourselves though, knowing what's ahead.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    My husband's friend came over the house for BBQ yesterday, first time we've seen him since learning the brain tumors were cancerous. He just started radiation/chemo so the side effects haven't set in just yet, and he takes anti-seizure meds as a preventative measure; still not allowed to drive or ride a bike or anything fun/independent.

He's also doing immunotherapy, which sounds new but promising. He's still himself, just less animated/more tired. Quiet but alert. We are bracing ourselves though, knowing what's ahead.
    Good for you for not treating him like he is contagious. Many people do

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post
    Good for you for not treating him like he is contagious. Many people do
    Aww hellll no. We love this guy to pieces. I even let him have a bottle or two from my secret stash of artisan ginger ale (guests normally get Canada Dry.)

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Aww hellll no. We love this guy to pieces. I even let him have a bottle or two from my secret stash of artisan ginger ale (guests normally get Canada Dry.)
    I was amazed when I saw some people in our lives suddenly disappear when Ella was diagnosed. Itís their problem, but it happens more than I expected and it does hurt. Of course the other side of this is that people that we had very little expectation of came through like champs and were way more supportive than we ever expected.

Donít get me started about how many stories we heard of spouses/significant others that couldnít take the caretaking and bailed on their partners when they found out they had cancer.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Non non normal
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post
    I was amazed when I saw some people in our lives suddenly disappear when Ella was diagnosed. Itís their problem, but it happens more than I expected and it does hurt. Of course the other side of this is that people that we had very little expectation of came through like champs and were way more supportive than we ever expected.

Donít get me started about how many stories we heard of spouses/significant others that couldnít take the caretaking and bailed on their partners when they found out they had cancer.

Len

Everybody wants to believe they will be like Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting when dealing with a spouse with cancer. Some people love themselves waaaay more than they love their spouses. Sad but true.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    I heard that men often have no clue how to be nurturing, never having been taught/expected to be, so they often bail. So wives often have a worse time of it as the patient.

My main fear, aside from seeing our friend getting his ass kicked around by the treatments, is not knowing what to say or how to be there etc. But we do remind them to call us if they need help with stuff, and they do so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    cancer is not one disease it is many and not all types of cancer are equally evil. Lance Armstrong would not have survived pancreatic cancer. Knowledge = empowerment. Read up on currently available treatments b/c cancer therapy is a rapidly evolving field. You definitely want to see the best doctor you can afford under your insurance plan. There's no cutting corners and really no time to save money b/c the treamtent is really expensive or the doctor/treatment center too far away. Make it your #1 priority to get the best treatment, then you will feel you did your best.

Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    My brother is almost able to go back to work after dealing with lung cancer for a couple of years, apart from numbness in his hands from chemo he is cancer-free. My sister died 2 years ago from pancreatic cancer, she chose not to tell the family except for one sister. Ny father didn't die from cancer, but he had spots on his lungs, COPD got him first.

I would also get a second opinion, and I would learn and study up about your particular type as much as possible. I had atrial fibrillation a while back, and I armed myself with as much knowledge of what it was and the possible remedies as I could. You want to educate yourself so you know what the doctors are talking about, and so you know the correct questions to ask, and it helps mentally to know what you are up against so it's less scary.

If I have learned anything from my own and others experiences, it's to try and educate yourself, and tell other people important to you. You'd be surprised at how much your friends and family really do care, how much they would want to know, and how much support they can offer you.

Good luck!

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by sookpuppet View Post
    On reflection I don't like this thread title. It should be Dealing with Cancer : My version.. Any chance the mods can edit the title????
    Wishing you good thoughts.

Hope you overcome it.
    Last edited by Eretz; 06-13-2015 at 01:30 AM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    So I am nearly half way through the 35 sessions of radiation. The pain has got progressively more as the cumulative effects of the radiation keep building. I had a visual examination of the cancerous areas today and the doctors seemed pretty happy with it all. I sent my siblings this link for them to better understand the symptoms.
    Radiation therapy for laryngeal and hypopharyngeal cancers

The cyclists brother focused on this sentence This can lead to weight loss and malnutrition. and asked me how that was going. Well minus 15 pounds in three weeks. Feeling lighter but also get tired a lot easier. Getting sick of drinking my meals and as even swallowing water is painful, solid food, not for another few weeks I think.
    I take some ibuprofen before I head off to work but other than that I stay away from them. I have never liked painkillers and if the cost of my cancer cure is a few weeks of discomfort, so be it. After all the pleasure I got from my drinking and smoking I don't think it's right to cheat the payback by numbing the experience. I was raised Catholic but I haven't been religious for 30 years. I am still agnostic to my core, which seems wierd when people here say they are praying for me. I'll take those prayers but have never ever given up a prayer of my own. Best wishes I can relate to, but prayer.... IDK.
    So that's where it is, go through the regime and hope that the wonders of modern science kick in and eradicate these poisonous cells from my body. I'm extremely optimistic. Again, thnks to all here for your thoughts, shared experiences and thoughts and prayers. SP.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, that sucks. A good friend had throat cancer - he beat it over a couple years without surgery, and he's been Cancer free several years now - Keep the faith, you can win this battle, hang in there.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Frog Whisperer
    We are thinking about you, stay strong. My sister (who has had 3 bouts with 3 different cancers) says "considering the options..."
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Best wishes I can relate to, but prayer.... IDK.

No worries, I haven't prayed a word for you But hoping for the best, and am glad you're halfway through already (that went fast......well for us on the sidelines anyway )

I'm glad you're posting about your experience because I'm genuinely curious (cancer being so damn common) and don't want to ask John's friend too many questions. By all means, no pressure to be positive here, so vent all you want.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast