Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grey Manrod

Dear Hollywood (the movie industry, not the sovereign of sexy):

Not every movie needs to be three hours long. Kthx.

Exhibit A: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Jeesh, even the title is long.

Growing Older, Not Up
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Brick Tamland

Thank you for pointing this out. Mediocre, even bad movies are much more tolerable in hour and a half doses.

Grey Manrod
    Quote Originally Posted by crumjack
    Thank you for pointing this out. Mediocre, even bad movies are much more tolerable in hour and a half doses.
    I think the movie would have been excellent had they edited it down a bit. Felt a little bloated...

Growing Older, Not Up
    Sep 2005
    I think the movie would have been excellent had they edited it down a bit. Felt a little bloated...
    Oh, I was being general. I haven't seen that pic (have kids and therefore only see it when it comes to video 99.9% of the time) so can't have an opinion.

Last night I watched the Darjeeling Limited. It was enjoyable and entertaining but if they would have stretched it out another 45 minutes or so my opinion would be very different.

waterproof*
    "Paris, Texas"

You probably didn't see it. Give thanks. I think it was about 5:45, mostly quiet empty shots of small town streets, or Harry Dean Stanton smoking a cigarette and looking worried. Can I have my time back now?
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    "Heat" would be a good example of a movie that could be immensely improved with some editing.

Still love it, though.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

How about

...the Deerhunter?

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl
    ...the Deerhunter?
    YES! They could take out the first hour, most of the last hour, and most of the second hour.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    YES! They could take out the first hour, most of the last hour, and most of the second hour.
    Lord of the Rings:

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Beetpull DeLite
    Inland Empire.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    "Paris, Texas"

You probably didn't see it. Give thanks. I think it was about 5:45, mostly quiet empty shots of small town streets, or Harry Dean Stanton smoking a cigarette and looking worried. Can I have my time back now?
    Good Ry Cooder soundtrack, tho.
    -- Gut

Resident Dutchbag
    Saving Private Ryan.

Titanic.

Ben Hur.

The Last Emperor.

Seven Billion Years inTibet.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

Grey Manrod
    I read somewhere once that it wasn't until the multiplex that Hollywood (the movie place, not the candle-giving creepy neighbor) got out of control with the 3 hour epic. Directors/producers were discouraged from going much over 90 minutes because that meant fewer screenings per theater, which meant less money.

Some movies need to be long. But not all of them.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    I read somewhere once that it wasn't until the multiplex that Hollywood (the movie place, not the candle-giving creepy neighbor) got out of control with the 3 hour epic. Directors/producers were discouraged from going much over 90 minutes because that meant fewer screenings per theater, which meant less money.
    And I've read the opposite, that Hollywood (the movie factory, not the sensation) is discouraged from making longer movies because the multiplexes want higher turnover. Who knows ...

But you're right, there's a time and a place for the long movie. Michael Bay need not apply (sorry, Sogno).

Girch: Inland Empire was just unbearable to sit through. That was the first and only time I felt like the director had actual scorn for his audience.
    -- Gut

the_rydster
    "Heat" would be a good example of a movie that could be immensely improved with some editing.

Still love it, though.
    One of the greatest films of the 90's and DeNiro's last great role.

Arguably Mann's best work.

Not sure why you feel it needs editing?

the_rydster

I have not seen it but I find it hard to take Brad Pitt seriously.

Anything with cinematography by Roger Deakins can't be that bad??

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by the_rydster
    One of the greatest films of the 90's and DeNiro's last great role.

Arguably Mann's best work.

Not sure why you feel it needs editing?
    I've seen it lots of times. I didn't use to think it needed editing, but now I do. Mainly, some of the stuff with Natalie Portman could/should be cut. The scenes between Pacino and his wife are redundant. And near the end, there are two scenes where DeNiro is basically persuading Amy Brenneman to go with him, and those could have been condensed into one.

But like I said, I still love it. I have a poster of it in my office, signed by Mann.
    -- Gut

Grey Manrod
    Quote Originally Posted by the_rydster
    I have not seen it but I find it hard to take Brad Pitt seriously.

Anything with cinematography by Roger Deakins can't be that bad??
    I used to feel that way about Pitt, but he's not bad. Liked him in Fight Club, this one and a couple of others I can't recall at the moment. I thought Casey Af-lack was quite good.

Cinematography was very good, but lost its potency as the movie dragged on. and on. and on.

Grey Manrod
    And I've read the opposite, that Hollywood (the movie factory, not the sensation) is discouraged from making longer movies because the multiplexes want higher turnover. Who knows ...
    Seems like old movies (up until the epics of the late 60's) are usually under 2 hours, and practically every movie made these days is over two. That's my unscientific guess.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I worked on Assassination of Jesse James. Argued forcefully for them to shorten it. Believe it or not, the script actually shed about twenty pages over the course of development. Characters were coalesced or eliminated. Episodes were removed.

At least in the old days, they'd divide an epic film into two parts, with an intermission in between. Lawrence of Arabia was like that. So was Ben-Hur, El Cid, Around the World in Eighty Days and Gigi. Now you just gotta have iron pants and a latex bladder. The films also had overtures, where the soundtrack would play before the curtain would rise.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Interesting point, and I can't help but think that this is a vanishing art, along with the ever-shrinking attention span of the public. This reminded me of Cleopatra, one of my cinematic favorites. By the way, has anyone seen any of the old Playhouse 12 episodes.
    Strange as this may seem, at one time network TV had altruistic pretenses. Hard to imagine in this day and age of inane vacuity.
    All I said was that our son, the apple of our three eyes, Martha being a cyclops, our son is a beanbag, and you get testy!

Government Mule
    irisin
    I'll give you my Vincent to ride...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rogger
    Saving Private Ryan.

Titanic.

Ben Hur.

The Last Emperor.

Seven Billion Years inTibet.
    american gangster
    The only movie rivaling titanic in pain and suffering.
    Blows your hair back.

Grey Manrod
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei
    I worked on Assassination of Jesse James. Argued forcefully for them to shorten it. Believe it or not, the script actually shed about twenty pages over the course of development. Characters were coalesced or eliminated. Episodes were removed.
    So....you're saying I should go to Hollywood?

Out of curiosity, what do you do?

Devoid of all flim-flam
    [QUOTE=Out of curiosity, what do you do?[/QUOTE]

I'm a Reader at a film studio (and you should have no problem guessing which one). My official title is Screen Story Analyst. I read the scripts the studio owns and hopes to film. I make suggestions on how the scripts could be better. I've had projects that have gone through twenty drafts. I've had projects that have taken ten years to go from initial draft to the multiplex. I've had projects that have gone through a dozen drafts and then disappeared into void of Movies Never Made. Sometimes my suggestions are good, and sometimes they're bad. Sometimes my suggestions are taken and sometimes they're not. Yes, I'm one of the folks the writers and directors love to hate -- a creative development guy.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast