Mehpic

death of an automotive legend

catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cflyr View Post
    Yes, a true legend - designer of what is arguably the finest sportscar ever made (911 and its variants). Certainly the most iconic.

The end of an era :-(
    Marco Pantani died for your sins.

" I guess most guys don't think of themselves as larvae, but hey, we're all lucky that pterodactyls are no longer ruling the skies." ~Bob Roll

2011 GT GTR Series 2
    Blog: Riding With Cancer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Always a little conflicted about porsche.

On the one hand, yay sportscars.

On the other hand, Porsche senior hung out with and worked for Hitler. Little Ferry Porsche prolly got bounced on uncle adolf's knee.

Figure most german businesses have that... uncomfortable period in the 30s and 40s they don't like to talk about... and they did spend a great deal of effort trying to kill my grandpa.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage View Post

On the other hand, Porsche senior hung out with and worked for Hitler. Little Ferry Porsche prolly got bounced on uncle adolf's knee.

Figure most german businesses have that... uncomfortable period in the 30s and 40s they don't like to talk about... and they did spend a great deal of effort trying to kill my grandpa.
    Honda, Toyota, and Mitsubishi helped make planes for the Japanese...

your text here
    this is ironic. at lunch today i commented i had seen 6 porches (911s) either in the parking lot or on the road while at lunch.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by V.Rossi46 View Post
    True. Like I said, I'm conflicted. There's few industries around the world that didn't produce weapons at some point.

Hugo Boss designed the Nazi Uniforms fer god's sake. So who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

Large blurry non-mythical
    Hugo Boss designed the Nazi Uniforms fer god's sake. So who knows.
    THAT would have been an interesting fashion show; "On the catwalk now are Himmler and friends in our new for '37 winter tunic..."
    "The mouse with the overbite explained/how the rabbits were ensnared/ and the skinny scanty sylph/ trashed the apothecary diplomat/ inside the three-eyed monkey/ within inches of his toaster-oven life."

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by V.Rossi46 View Post
    Nissan was called Datsun in the US for that very reason - G.I.s would recognize the name from all the artillery they captured during the war.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

You Phillip mah census
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    Nissan was called Datsun in the US for that very reason - G.I.s would recognize the name from all the artillery they captured during the war.
    4 years ago the Prime Minister of Japan was Taro Aso, scion of the very wealthy Aso family from Kyushu. The family business, Aso Mining used Australian POW's as slave labour during the war. A fact Mr Aso was strangely reluctant to comment on, (or only to deny it.)
    Japanese big business did pretty well out making life miserable for a lot of people not so very long ago. Trouble is, even modern day Japan struggles to face these uncomfortable truths.

As for Porsche, I've always thought them rather vulgarian, (probably more because of the types who drive them rather than anything intrinsic to the car). They just seem to lack 'factor X' IMHO.

Aso Mining's POW labor: the evidence | The Japan Times Online
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

Weed

Don't forget that Ford and GM built vehicles and other war materials in their European plants for the Germans in WWII too.