( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Detroit: The Movie

Mrs. Fuji and I caught Detroit a few days ago. Spoiler: It ain't a happy, sunshiney summer flick.

It's directed by Kathryn Bigelow, known for such jingoistic period pieces as Zero Dark Thirty, The Hurt Locker, and Point Break. The movie, much like Stone's JFK, is not only about the 1960's, but is a dramatic telling of a historic event, using actual news clips as part of the story. There's a little disclaimer at the end saying that the story was cobbled together from eyewitness reports of the Detroit 12th Street riots of 1967, but it is in no way presented as a documentary.

It was hard to watch...again, not a documentary, but a sort of dramatic retelling of events...but, knowing that the perception of the real events are trapped in someone's head as portrayed in the movie, was incredibly uncomfortable (then again, most great art is designed to elicit a response, and this certainly did). There were moviegoers huddled in a fetal position, and several left the theatre weeping openly. There was a palpable stillness when the credits rolled. At the risk of getting this shuttled to PO, the only people who I saw in the theatre who didn't have a strong emotional response were of a certain political persuasion that's currently in line with the Pres and both houses of Congress (if ya catch my drift)...and they jumped in a lifted, diesel-smoke belching Chevy with "TRUMP" across the back window and peeled out of the parking lot afterward...

Anyway, this movie piqued my interest in the events pictured therewithin. I've slowly begun asking family members who are old enough to remember what their responses were when everything was going on. I've done a little bit of online reading, since this was an event that's relatively local (same state), yet wasn't covered in any of my secondary or post-secondary education (despite having studied Michigan History in both schools).

I certainly recommend it if you're looking for a challenging viewing experience; I believe the movie opened nationwide yesterday after having a limited statewide release a week earlier. Again, this apparently wasn't clear (based on several IMDB reviews), but it's not a documentary - it's a dramatic retelling. It's Lords of Dogtown to Stacey Peralta's Dogtown And Z-Boys; it's Stone's JFK to Bill O'Reilly's Killing Kennedy. It made me think, which is all that can be asked from a movie.

Old Fuji gives it
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Not Banned
    my buddy dates Ms. Bigelow's niece and got to go to the premier in Hollywood. His review was much like yours. Not for the faint of heart, and like all of her films, pretty much grabs you and doesn't let go
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Fake President
    Want to see it, haven't yet.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

a real member's member
    still waiting for kalamazoo: the musical.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

banned
    Dec 2012
    Hoe is Point Break Jingoistic ??

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by skitorski View Post
    Hoe is Point Break Jingoistic ??

I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Road & Trail Warrior
    Man, I really want to see this movie, but it seems to be on a limited run here in the Greater Toronto Area. The few theaters which have it, are only one showing per day. Also, my local theater has never had it... but they have the Emoji movie. Bloody hell!