Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel engines

RoadBikeReview Member

Diesel engines

Teach me.

For some reason I want one in my next car.
    Yeah I know they are more expensive but man they they get killer mileage.

The only real issue is that I only have a 3 mile drive to work. I go home for lunch most days. I would put a max 12 miles a day on the car split up and even stopping to drop off and pick up a little one at daycare twice a week 1/2 way home. Don't really need the car for most trips as my wife has a large car for the family.

How bad is it to cold start a diesel then put so few miles on them? Is it really bad for the engine? With the little I drive is it worth it?

I do use my car for road trips to races and golf outings but they seem to be few and far between.

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    For that few miles? I wouldn't recommend a diesel. Go electric.

banned
    Aug 2009
    Man up and ride your bike.

Sticky Valentine
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho's Balls
    Man up and ride your bike.

werd.

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

Descender
    Oct 2005
    As Poncho said - for a few miles, push pedals. Lot of wish we had that opportunity.

For either type of engine - short trips are the worst for wear and tear on a car.

How many miles do you put on a car in a year?

Frog Whisperer
    your diesel would never come up to temp.........not good!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen
    For some reason I want one in my next car.
    Yeah I know they are more expensive but man they they get killer mileage.
    If cost is no matter and you are just looking for a diesel why not go for one of these...

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    your diesel would never come up to temp.........not good!
    Yup. All diesel cars out there now are turbos (you get more benefit out of a turbo with a diesel than a gas engine according to the experts I know) and you really have to drive it like you stole it once in awhile to keep the whole thing operating right. I've had one for 6.5 years and 108k miles and it's been hands down the best car I've ever owned. Still hitting 50mpg in my '03 VW Jetta, but my drive is a little longer - just long enough to warm up at 8 miles and 25 minutes. Check out www.tdiclub.com - even at this point the basic/n00b/idjut forum is about my expertise level compared to some of those guys. Find a good (i.e. non-dealer) mechanic that really knows these cars...

Three miles is going to be tough on any car, especially anything with a turbo in it and especially a diesel. And I'd still rather ride my bike to work.

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by New_World_Man
    If cost is no matter and you are just looking for a diesel why not go for one of these...

There's a luxury car rental place down the street that just put one of those in the front lot. Definitely a vehicle for someone trying to compensate for something.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

" The road side joker"
    IMO -

Not worth the hassle... go ELECTRIC.

Depending on where you live, you might need to have the engine plugged into a engine block heater during the winters. Most diesel cars I believe now all have at least on glow plug for starting the car in the winter.

The older diesel are typically hard to start during the colder months and are very hard on your battery therefore having to replace them more often.

I work in diesel market "TRUCK REPAIRS" warehouse and they always seam to be breaking down be it injectors, fuel pumps, transfer pumps etc.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/146635
    (GET 15% OFF YOUR FIRST ORDER)

still shedding season
    Yeah - cold - mine has glow plugs. Works very well and nothing to plug in, one had to be replaced a couple of years ago but it didn't cost much (again, find the right guy to work on it). It sits in an unheated garage or outside and I've never had it not start, even well below zero. It sounds like it's posessed by satan for the first minute or two when it's that cold, but it is running...

Has a huge battery in it, make sure it's good (as you would with any car). I use fuel additive almost all the time (should use it all the time) and am picky about where I buy my fuel. No biodiesel in the winter (or 11% max, aka B11). No fuel gelling problems by doing this and I live near Chicago.

Rep *****.
    If your a low mileage guy the hassle outweighs the benefit.
    Get a used Corolla.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by firstrax
    If your a low mileage guy the hassle outweighs the benefit.
    Get a used Corolla.
    Agreed. This comes from a 20 year diesel tech.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    I bought a turbo diesel this summer, and though my commute is only about 8 miles each way, it's still getting really good mileage--better than I got with the Mini by a good margin.

I'm finding that it's not nearly as good as it gets colder out in the mornings, but that's to be expected with a diesel.

So far it's a great car. Fuel is easy to find, doesn't cost any more than the premium unleaded the Mini wanted, and it drives like a regular car (though maybe with a little more oomph thanks to the high torque). It actually feels like a Euro luxury car to me, though it's only a Jetta TDI. Sleek and black, good handling without the kidney punching of the Mini, and BIG (by my standards).

So I have my comfy mid-sized Euro sedan and my 30+ mpg in the city too.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboy389
    I bought a turbo diesel this summer, and though my commute is only about 8 miles each way, it's still getting really good mileage--better than I got with the Mini by a good margin.

I'm finding that it's not nearly as good as it gets colder out in the mornings, but that's to be expected with a diesel.

So far it's a great car. Fuel is easy to find, doesn't cost any more than the premium unleaded the Mini wanted, and it drives like a regular car (though maybe with a little more oomph thanks to the high torque). It actually feels like a Euro luxury car to me, though it's only a Jetta TDI. Sleek and black, good handling without the kidney punching of the Mini, and BIG (by my standards).

So I have my comfy mid-sized Euro sedan and my 30+ mpg in the city too.
    That TDI is a killer machine.

The problem with alot of todays diesels is that by the time they are broken in. The car/truck is on its way out.

trying to HTFU...
    just turned 31k on my '09 Jetta TDI - great car. agreed much more comfortable and roomy
    than a mini; can flip the back seats down and cram three bikes in the back. worst mpg: 36,
    avg mpg: 41, best ever tankful: 50mpg(only once so far) and this is on the 101 from Thousand
    Oaks to Burbank every day.

wife got a speeding ticket driving from L.A. to S.F. the third week we had it(85+) - talked it
    down from some other scary number. no i didn't ask, yes, it was a very, very expensive ticket.

if they'd come out with a 170HP 2.0TDI Passat Wagon, i'd be all over that in a NY minute.
    Last edited by cwg_at_opc; 11-18-2009 at 05:21 PM.
    Improving on self-torture for more than 3.6^2 years.

Clyde-o-Matic
    A lifetime ago, I traded a BMW 5 series for a diesel Sharon. The Sharon was easier to drive and was very dependable. I often wish we had brought it back with us.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    There's a luxury car rental place down the street that just put one of those in the front lot. Definitely a vehicle for someone trying to compensate for something.
    I'm compensating too. Here's what I drive:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1035...35603977VXqJWh
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Roadie with unshaven legs
    Dec 2005
    My last car was a Jetta TDI. I loved that car. I was one of the charter members of the TDIClub forums (member #67 because I waited two days to register) and even was a moderator of two of the sections for a while. For the longest time I ate, slept, breathed TDIs. I've forgotten more about TDIs and diesels than a lot of owners would ever know about them. The only reason I don't own one now is because I wrecked mine in the rain and none of the manufacturers were selling new diesels in California at the time. No, I was not about to buy a used TDI at an inflated price, neither. Besides, my wife considers diesels high performance cars now because of that car (chip, injectors, injector bodies, and a few other tweaks).

For your usage, get a hybrid or electric. With a TDI the vents will just start to blow warmish air from them by the time you are shutting the engine down at your destination and that's with a 5 minute warm up before you hit the road. The engine will basically never warm up sufficiently to be able to burn off any trapped moisture inside of it. Not only that but it would be considered extreme service for the engine under these conditions so you would be changing the oil in it more often which would increase the cost of ownership. TDIs require full synthetic motor oil so it's not a cheap proposition to change the oil especially if you have to do it more often than normal. If you drive more per trip then I highly recommend them. I've had thoughts of risking a divorce and trading in my paid for '06 GLI for a TDI. I still might do it and go for a 2010 Golf TDI 2-door in blue or a Jetta TDI.

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Quote Originally Posted by New_World_Man
    Guy who used to live next door to me worked for a specialty dealer that sold cars to the country music stars and he was always bringing home exotic demos. I came home one day and he had one of those trucks parked in his driveway. Seriously fugly!
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

Beetpull DeLite
    No engine, gas or diesel, likes short trips like that. Can you take the long way to work or something to allow it to come up to normal operating temps?

It's all ball bearings
    I had a diesel car in high school. On cold nights, some of the fuel would congeal and would clog the fuel lines on the way to school in the morning. That was always fun.

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by BenWA
    I had a diesel car in high school. On cold nights, some of the fuel would congeal and would clog the fuel lines on the way to school in the morning. That was always fun.
    I use fuel additive year round to keep this from happening (does other stuff too), and I'm really careful where I buy the stuff - no probs yet but the guy who works on mine always has a shop full when the temperature really drops.

Girchy's right though, no car will like quick trips like this. I've known two people who did this every day for years. The biggest problem they both had was blowing "lifetime" stainless mufflers about every two years, but I'll bet they were lucky.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Commuting, 6 miles round trip twice daily, you can never justify the purchase of a new, fuel efficient vehicle. Payback would be 10+ years on fuel savings, regardless of diesel, hybrid or small fuel efficient gas engine. If your concerned about emissions, think about this, the catalytic converter would barely come up to temperature in 3 miles. My suggestion, ride your bike to work or drive the lowest cost, smallest gasoline engine vehicle you could find, or drive your current vehicle until it dies. On such a short commute, you are literally killing your vehicle, unless you drive a hybrid electric that runs in pure electric mode (plug in hybrid) for the initial 20 - 30 miles and such vehicles are very limited availability and very pricey.

Best alternative, ride your bike. Especially in a warm climate that Alabama offers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by A from Il
    That TDI is a killer machine.

The problem with alot of todays diesels is that by the time they are broken in. The car/truck is on its way out.

I've got 3 VW's and my parents just bought a new Jetta TDI Sportwagen. At 7,000 miles, you can wipe your finger in the exhaust pipes and it comes out clean. What really makes the current VW line great is the DSG transmission paired with the engine.

http://cars.about.com/od/thingsyoune...owDSGworks.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast