RoadBikeReview Member

Direct to consumer programs putting the screws to your LBS

First Canyon and now DiamondBack? Ouch.

30-40% below retail will get the crowds clicking, as was proven with brick and mortars in other industries.

Diamondback launches direct-to-consumer platform | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Further proof bike shops are no longer required. Same goes for car dealers as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    Further proof bike shops are no longer required. Same goes for car dealers as well.
    bike dealers have their useplace though. fairly harmless and very helpful, even if you buy your bikes online

but car dealers. yeah. stain on the planet, parasites all. the skid mark of retail industry. It is a crime that some states force folks to use them with crazy corrupt laws.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    First Canyon and now DiamondBack? Ouch.

30-40% below retail will get the crowds clicking, as was proven with brick and mortars in other industries.

Diamondback launches direct-to-consumer platform | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos
    I still would recommend a first time buyer go to a good shop (FYI, only one of my 5 bikes came from a shop). For the additional cost, you get advice, experience, fitting, and adjustments.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I still would recommend a first time buyer go to a good shop (FYI, only one of my 5 bikes came from a shop). For the additional cost, you get advice, experience, fitting, and adjustments.
    Maybe. you also might get steered into the inventory they are trying to get rid of and up-sold into stuff that you don't need.

Some shops are great. Others are pure sleeze.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Maybe. you also might get steered into the inventory they are trying to get rid of and up-sold into stuff that you don't need.

Some shops are great. Others are pure sleeze.
    Well, I did say a "good" shop. Failing that drag an experienced cycling frind along that can offer some advice

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wonder if a Tesla style approach will work for bikes, only 3rd party. You still have a LBS that can fit you and provide test rides, and they can even have kiosks in the store to purchase the bike. They can have "consultants" that will walk you through the build process if you need it (componentry, groupsets) and you can ship it to the store where they can assemble, for a fee.

Of course they can also sell you the rest of the accessories during the process.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jason124 View Post
    Wonder if a Tesla style approach will work for bikes, only 3rd party. You still have a LBS that can fit you and provide test rides, and they can even have kiosks in the store to purchase the bike. They can have "consultants" that will walk you through the build process if you need it (componentry, groupsets) and you can ship it to the store where they can assemble, for a fee.

Of course they can also sell you the rest of the accessories during the process.
    This might work for the high-end, but most bikes sold are lower-end hybrid, comfort and mountain bikes. Those people dont care a whole lot about selecting components and custom fit, they just want to go the a store, find a bike they like, ride it, and buy it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    This might work for the high-end, but most bikes sold are lower-end hybrid, comfort and mountain bikes. Those people dont care a whole lot about selecting components and custom fit, they just want to go the a store, find a bike they like, ride it, and buy it.
    I'd expect chains and big box stores to pick up that market if the little guys start to die. Performace and REI for example will be the step up over Target and Wallyworld. Independant LBS could become boutique shops selling only high end, there's one like that here for mtbs. They only stock demos for a number of smaller companies, you order the frame and they build it up to suit.

What the what???
    I ordered mine from Amazon...
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jason124 View Post
    Canyon sent me a survey yesterday. Some of the questions suggested they were considering doing that for their own brand. Specifically, they would have a showroom but you would handle the transaction yourself. I have mixed feelings about that because of the non-trivial overhead they'd have to price into their bicycles.

Regarding OP's post, I'm past caring. My main LBS seems to be down to Trek, Specialized, and Cannondale, the same you can get anywhere. The last time I was there they had no cleats in stock for the pedals I had bought from them. At this point, all I want is a decent mechanic.
    It's Mueller Time

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Yeah, Amazon rocks for bike stuff! I got a deluxe aero helmet there. I figure the bigger it is, the more aero it is!

Name:  Cycling+Helmet+Ridiculous.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  33.7 KB

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Yeah, Amazon rocks for bike stuff! I got a deluxe aero helmet there. I figure the bigger it is, the more aero it is!

Name:  Cycling+Helmet+Ridiculous.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  33.7 KB
    Hieronymus Bosch says you're wearing it backwards...
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Please tell me you ride a machete...
    Last edited by jetdog9; 03-13-2017 at 03:53 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    A REI store opened in my town a few years ago and soon after a long time locally owned outdoor store (skis, climbing gear, kayaks) closed its doors. My coworker knows the owner and asked him if there was any connection between those things.

The answer was "nope, we just can't make ends meet now that the brands we carry sell direct to the consumer".

I know of another very small store that quit operating because their main brand (Mountain Hardware) did the same thing to them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    A REI store opened in my town a few years ago and soon after a long time locally owned outdoor store (skis, climbing gear, kayaks) closed its doors. My coworker knows the owner and asked him if there was any connection between those things.

The answer was "nope, we just can't make ends meet now that the brands we carry sell direct to the consumer".

I know of another very small store that quit operating because their main brand (Mountain Hardware) did the same thing to them.
    I don't think the time is too far off where our only options are the Trek or Specialized store and mail order.

What the what???

Direct to consumer programs putting the screws to your LBS

Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Please tell me you ride a machete...
    Nope. It was a Hannjo Comp. I could have ordered it through REI as well, but they were out of stock at the time. I've also ordered a Lynskey from Adrenaline Bikes in the past.

I'm not nearly cool enough to rock a Machete...

The last time I went through an LBS I got a bike with a crushed FD cable and brakes cabled with the calipers in the open position...

The last time I was in an LBS (different shop) just browsing, I listened to the sales guy lie through his teeth to a guy about how carbon rims made a bike "20-30% faster" than a bike with aluminum rims.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 03-13-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    I had a customer come in to have us install a short cage Ultegra derailleur and an 11-34 cassette he had purchased from an online vendor. You can get bad information anywhere...
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Gander Mountain just filed Chapter 11, citing that reason.

Gander Mountain Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection

In other news, Bicycle Times magazine is history.

Rotating Mass puts Bicycle Times magazine on hiatus; website will continue | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
    It's Mueller Time

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    I had a customer come in to have us install a short cage Ultegra derailleur and an 11-34 cassette he had purchased from an online vendor. You can get bad information anywhere...
    That's true.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    +1. I live in the VA suburbs (Vienna). There's a bike shop in the middle of town (Spokes) that's part of a local four store chain. Despite Performance and REI being close by, they seem to do well. They've moved into the electric bike market pretty heavily. Most people who I see there aren't hard core bikers. They don't know Dura Ace from Tiagra. I suspect they'd be terrified to buy a bike on-line. Their meat and potatoes is the service department. They've got really good mechanics who are friendly and honest. I've heard them tell a person more than once, it's probably not worth fixing that bike, when they bring in some old bike that literally must be worth $50. You can't sell service on-line.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Well, I did say a "good" shop. Failing that drag an experienced cycling frind along that can offer some advice
    yeah, sorry about that. I guess I missed that word. I need not have responded like that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    though it is pushing it .. that might still work just fine if the hanger is long enough. a 32t most often works perfectly fine, as it does on my wife's ultegra di2 bike w short cage. and easily a 42t with a hanger extension, but careful with the chainrings and avoiding certain gear combo

too many bike shops have such limited experience and knowledge on this stuff, see mfr specs as gospel when it isn't. often better to consult online, or with the Zinn blog for the real skinny on tech things. I certainly do not trust my local bike shop after the sghit I see them pull on customers (Spec/Norco dealer)
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 03-15-2017 at 02:08 PM.

What the what???
    And now Beeline will assemble all kinds of bikes from Amazon...

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/un...ikes-over-500/