Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good news everyone!

Do you need the latest and greatest energy gel or bar?

Or is there something available for like a buck at the grocery store that is packed with the same nutrition for a fraction of the price?

I have heard of people using gummy bears for supplemental energy while on the bike, they are cheap and easily available, and presumably even have some protein in them. I picked up some of those sugary orange slices from the candy aisle and while they were pretty tasty I didn't think they worked as well as say the Cliff Shot goos that I really prefer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    fig newtons, or a b'nanner.

Good news everyone!
    Bananas always get smashed in my pocket. It sucks having a pocket full of banana pudding.

Proud luddite
    I used to eat Lara bars but they are expensive when purchased individually and Costco stopped selling the boxes of them. So I switched to Trio bars, also found at Costco. They're full of fruit and nuts, slightly chewy and sweet. They're pretty tasty, and are great for a mid-ride snack.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    I was all over the Fig Newtons for a long time. Long enough, in fact, that I've gotten kind of sick of them. I'm on Powerbars now (just the regular ones), and I'll probably go back to the Newtons when I get sick of the PBs.

Gu is one of the constants, as it's real handy for that "I waited too long to eat. I'm about to bonk here" feeling.

I tend to stick with the things I know because I know how many calories they have so I know how much/many to eat per hour on a long ride, and because I know they won't make me puke or give me the squitters. So trying the new hotness all the time just sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Good news everyone!
    Well if I find something I like that's easily available and cheap, I'll stick with it. I won't try the new hotness all the time, as the goal is to find something that I can consistently find that is so cheap I can have it around constantly. It seems like the goo packets are expensive and hard to find so that they are rarely around when I need them.

waterproof*
    For food, no. I usually go with a banana or maybe a payday bar or something like that.

I never buy gels, but I'll use the freebies that come with race packets sometimes. But I do have a couple of those gel flasks, and I'll fill one up with half water / half honey, works pretty good for a late-ride boost.

And I do buy various powders for the bottles. See my thread about maltodextrin in the racing forum.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Born from Jorts®
    Quote Originally Posted by mccurdy21
    fig newtons, or a b'nanner.
    Fig Newtons and Gatorade have HFCS, so they're off the list (for regular use).

Snickers or PayDay and a RedBull are my cheap go-to bonk remedies.

Clif bars are .99 cents at Trader Joe's, so there's no real reason to look elsewhere, atmo.

haole from the mainland
    Payday bars. No chocolate to melt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood

Clif bars are .99 cents at Trader Joe's, so there's no real reason to look elsewhere, atmo.
    No HFCS in the gatorade powder. I do suggest mixing it with water before you ingest, however.
    "All I want in life is to ride my bike and drink good coffee."

i like whiskey
    I use Hammer Gel. I buy 6-8 of the packs when I'm getting low and always have a liter in the cabinet. I only use them on rides >2 hours, so I don't use a ton of it. All that will last me a long time, so the extra expense is worth it. I only use Cytomax powder or water in my bottles. Those two things work the best for me so I stick with them.

If I do need a quick boost, then any of the chewy granola bars we have in the cabinet are fine. So are bananas and maybe the occassional oatmeal raisin cookie and Fig Newton.

eminence grease
    I eat Lara Bars. I don't care how much things cost when I'm hungry. And they are completely non-messy.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

waterproof*

wait, so you won't eat HFCS, which is just sugar, but you'll drink RedBull, which, besides being nasty, is full of sugar?
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Just Plain Bitter
    Am in to Bora-Bora bars these days. love the taste and the content. I use e-Gel these days so all I have to put in my bottles is water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    I'm down to one flavor I can eat on a regular basis: Maple Nut. The others make me squirm.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Payday bars here as well.

Gummybears are all sugar I believe, and probably HFCS. No protein, but they do contain petroleum jelly. Not good while on the bike, but excellent at all other times!

For the real stuff, I like Hammer Gel, by the bottle and a 5 oz. plastic flask.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    wait, so you won't eat HFCS, which is just sugar ...
    Not exactly true.

It's been a while, but I read up on this and the way the body processes HFCS is different than how it processes sugar; basically converts HFCS to triglycerides.

Could be wrong, and I'm too lazy to look it up.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Good news everyone!
    The Harribo gummy bears do in fact have protein.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 22 pieces (42g)
    Amount per Serving

* Calories 150 Calories from Fat 0

% Daily Value *

* Total Fat 0g 0%
    * Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    * Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    * Sodium 0mg 0%
    * Total Carbohydrate 34g 11%
    * Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    * Sugars 22g
    * Protein 3g 6%

Est. Percent of Calories from:
    Fat 0.0% Carbs 90.7%
    Protein 8.0%

RoadBikeReview Member
    the issue with cheaper substitutes is whether they have the electrolyte levels. Depending on how much you sweat (intensity of exercise, temp etc) you need up to about 430 mg sodium, 126 mg potassium, 22 mg magnesium, and 44 mg calcium per hour to replace what you lose sweating.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    For the real stuff, I like Hammer Gel, by the bottle and a 5 oz. plastic flask.
    ^This.

Apple Cinnamon is the shizz.

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    HFCS, which is just sugar
    Gonna debate that one too. The guy who posted above is a Doctor so I implicitly trust what he says.

Gels, Clif Bars and Lara Bars all work pretty well for me. Mix-n-match 12 items at REI to save 20%, including stuff like Hammer and Clif drink mix. Pretty good deal and then you're stocked up.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by kykr13
    The guy who posted above is a Doctor so I implicitly trust what he says.
    Damn straight.

Note: I'm not a real doctor.
    -- Gut

haole from the mainland
    Quote Originally Posted by innergel
    I use Hammer Gel. I buy 6-8 of the packs when I'm getting low and always have a liter in the cabinet. I only use them on rides >2 hours, so I don't use a ton of it. All that will last me a long time, so the extra expense is worth it. I only use Cytomax powder or water in my bottles. Those two things work the best for me so I stick with them.

If I do need a quick boost, then any of the chewy granola bars we have in the cabinet are fine. So are bananas and maybe the occassional oatmeal raisin cookie and Fig Newton.
    I find the Hammer Gels to taste better than most, especially the raspberry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For rides of 3 hours of more I always take a PB&J sandwich, otherwise just a banana. Keep the banana in your jersey pocket, not your shorts, and it won't be smashed!

disgruntled pigskin fan
    Bananas for food, grape juice mixed with water for fluids. I'll usually take one bottle with just water and another with the juice-water mixture; it's cheaper and so much tastier than any mix or sports drink I've tried.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast