RoadBikeReview Member

do you want the beer in the bag?

Seriously, why do they always ask this? I just bought two six packs and a few groceries. Yes, I want the beer in the bag. Does it look like I have three hands? If at least one six pack is not in the bag, how am I going to carry it? Or do they think I need to start drinking them immediately and would be hindered by the bag?

Always changing.....
    I know; always a weird question. You should told them you want a paper bag cause you would be hittin' it hard as soon as you went out the door.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    I ordered a beer at a restaurant in Phoenix. They served it in a bag. Kind of funny.

Get me to In&Out
    If you didn't order 40's of OE they wouldn't serve it in a bag.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll just have a bag of Fanta.

n00bsauce
    Because bags tend to break, especially paper bags, when heavy things are put in them and some people would rather carry their beer (or milk) rather than have the bag break and all their groceries fall out onto the parking lot. If you can't carry two sixers and a bag of groceries you need to hand in your man card.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe they think you give a **** and want to reduce the amount of plastic bags in our landfills. Or they could just be in robot mode because they bag groceries all day. I think robots.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    I was expecting to find beer in a bag, like in Canada...bagged milk
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson View Post
    Because bags tend to break, especially paper bags, when heavy things are put in them and some people would rather carry their beer (or milk) rather than have the bag break and all their groceries fall out onto the parking lot. If you can't carry two sixers and a bag of groceries you need to hand in your man card.
    This.

Proud luddite
    Next time they ask you this you should throw your meat on the floor and punch them in the vag. That'll show them!

RoadBikeReview Member
    They do not ask that in Utah, because apparently by law, they have to bag your alcohol....because God knows that if an individual sees alcohol in public, they burst into flames..... It is why we also have the Zion Curtain in restaurants as well....

On the flip side, we don't have many spontaneous combusting humans related to seeing alcohol containers....so we have that going for us....

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I was just thinking about this last night. And was what EJ said crossed my mind. They have always bagged my beer and I always thought it might be some kind of law. I live in CA, everything is illegal. But last night for the first time ever I was asked if I wanted the beer in a bag. I declined.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by E.J.2 View Post
    They do not ask that in Utah, because apparently by law, they have to bag your alcohol....because God knows that if an individual sees alcohol in public, they burst into flames..... It is why we also have the Zion Curtain in restaurants as well....

On the flip side, we don't have many spontaneous combusting humans related to seeing alcohol containers....so we have that going for us....
    Kind of the same deal in Massachusetts. Goes back to the Puritan days. Liquor stores had to bag purchases because it was against the law to carry alcohol out of a store while it was open to public view--we had these arcane laws called "blue laws". So they "packaged" liquor, and liquor stores became known as "package stores". Which is why every proper Bostonian refers to his/her favorite liquor emporium as a "packie".

Hell, it's only been the last 10 years or so that liquor stores could open on Sundays.

Masters Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by mpre53 View Post
    Kind of the same deal in Massachusetts. Goes back to the Puritan days. Liquor stores had to bag purchases because it was against the law to carry alcohol out of a store while it was open to public view--we had these arcane laws called "blue laws". So they "packaged" liquor, and liquor stores became known as "package stores". Which is why every proper Bostonian refers to his/her favorite liquor emporium as a "packie".

Hell, it's only been the last 10 years or so that liquor stores could open on Sundays.
    Yeah, when I lived in CT 20 yrs ago it was the same.
    First time I went to get beer to bring to a friends house to watch football, I was confronted by huge red tarps covering the beer. I was mystified. So I lifted the tarp/curtain grabbed some beer and went to the checkout.
    I got this weird look from the cashier like "WTF is wrong w/ you?" and she said "no alcohol on Sundays"
    "I... uh.. umm.. er.. uh, WHAT?!?"

Being from Seattle, I was stunned.
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post
    I'll just have a bag of Fanta.
    If you obsessively drink alcohol, you're labeled an alcoholic. If you do the same with Fanta, does that make you fantastic?

Do what he say!

Quote Originally Posted by mpre53 View Post

Liquor stores still have to close on Sunday in Texas. I think we were one of the last states to make open containers illegal in a vehicle, but we still can't buy liquor on Sunday. (Beer and wine yes, liquor no). And this is the state that leads the nation in per capita beer consumption. Maybe because we can't get our whiskey and vodka once a week.
    I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

No go away, or I shall taunt you a second time.

Do what he say!

Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    If you obsessively drink alcohol, you're labeled an alcoholic. If you do the same with Fanta, does that make you fantastic?
    No. Fanatical.
    I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

No go away, or I shall taunt you a second time.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    Seriously, why do they always ask this? I just bought two six packs and a few groceries. Yes, I want the beer in the bag. Does it look like I have three hands? If at least one six pack is not in the bag, how am I going to carry it? Or do they think I need to start drinking them immediately and would be hindered by the bag?
    don't 6 packs have handles?

I never understood why you would put a six pack with a handle into a bag... with a handle
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage