remodeling...me

Don't EVER eat Russell Stover Suger Free Jelly Belly's or a rant about warning labels

I was supposed to go for a ride today but was indisposed as punishment for munching on a package of the above mentioned product.
    I mean why would I ever think to look for small print warning about "laxative effects" on the back of a package of Jelly Beans for goodness sake It should be on the front in BOLD!
    Zeytin

"Wow, Alex...way to pee in the guy's Wheaties..." ~Opus51569

Anti-Hero
    A lot of sugar free stuff has that warning. Sugar alcohols are lame. I can't even chew sugar free gum because I'm so sensitive to them.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

half-fast
    That fake sugar is bad news. Sorry you had to find out the hard way.

remodeling...me
    OMG it's nasty nasty stuff.... I don't know if it's even safe to eat dinner.
    Zeytin

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Ouch!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Frog Whisperer
    i can't go anywhere near fake sugars
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

vexatious enigma
    Bad way to find that tid bit out.

There are a bunch of sugar free stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

remodeling...me
    It just goes to show that "diet" food is evil (except for Diet Pepsi), I was going to for a bike ride and then go to the restaurant and eat lamb with my husband...that's not happening now.

Seriously though....why would they sell that stuff! Oh wait cus idiots like me don't know to read the label.
    Zeytin

Rollin' Stones
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    As a Diabetic for 35 years, been down that dirty, dirty road before. My father in law found out the hard way too! Keep your perfect pancreatic functional hands off my candy!!
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!

Proud luddite
    I have the ultimate zorbitol story. I had a mini ice cream maker, and it would make a pint of ice cream that I would eat in a single sitting. For some reason I figured that instead of 1/4 cup of sugar I would use 1/4 cup of zorbitol, seeing as how zorbitol is relatively "natural" and certainly (I thought anyway) healthier for you than sugar. So I ate the pint all at once, with 1/4 cup of zorbitol....and then the fireworks started. Man, I was on the pot ALL NIGHT LONG! Let's just say that eating mass quantities of zorbitol isn't such a good idea.

EDIT: Oops, it's sorbitol, not zorbitol.
    Last edited by azpeterb; 04-12-2010 at 10:28 AM.

waterproof*
    I hate how so many gums and candies and snacks will try to hide the fact they are using fake sugars. Mrs Creaky has allergies / sensitivities too and ends up buying these things she can't eat. And I am sure as hell not gonna eat that crap.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Anti-Hero
    Yeah- Heed uses Xylitol. I had a very "colorful" argument on the phone with Hammer's customer service about it, too.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

Hermia commutes
    I can taste fake sugars a mile off, which apparently might be a handy survival mechanism! That is a sad, sad story.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Serves you people right for thinking there's something better than SUGAR. Jeez, do you drink O'Doul's, too??

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    This reminds me of that hot diet product Alli. It's been known to cause projectile diarrhea. One of the warnings is to not wear white pants or skirts while you're on it.

Sorry bout the intestinal problems, z.

remodeling...me
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno
    This reminds me of that hot diet product Alli. It's been known to cause projectile diarrhea. One of the warnings is to not wear white pants or skirts while you're on it.

Thanks, that's no diet yikes! I read online that people use laxatives as a weight loss aid...they are totally nuts! It's painful!
    Zeytin

Sleep Expert
    I got this high protein bar at the MS150 packet pickup, and brought it to work yesterday, figuring I'd give it a try. While looking at the nutritional value, I noticed that scary, scary warning. It's still sitting in that package.
    My carbon footprint has cleats

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by zeytin
    Thanks, that's no diet yikes! I read online that people use laxatives as a weight loss aid...they are totally nuts! It's painful!
    And it can lead to dehydration.

I take it you got over the one day "diet"?

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno

Sorry bout the intestinal problems, z.
    Yeah, that's true about Alli. It's unique in that the company makes it very clear, if you eat fatty foods, you will have rather powerful diarhhea. So the "fear factor" has a lot to do with its success, as people know they have to avoid eating too much fat otherwise they are going to pay the price. Of course, if you just eat right and exercise to begin with, most overweight folks will have better, long-lasting results.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Ouch..that is no fun....

When I quit smoking in the early 90's, I bought some sugar free hard candy to ward off cravings...

Little did I know what 30 pieces of sugar free candy would do to my system....I spent two days on the pot...
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

remodeling...me
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    Ouch..that is no fun....

When I quit smoking in the early 90's, I bought some sugar free hard candy to ward off cravings...

Little did I know what 30 pieces of sugar free candy would do to my system....I spent two days on the pot...
    Scary, thank goodness one afternoon, night, and following morning were my only suffering. I'm free and clear now...had a good dinner and guzzled tons of water today.

Funny, I used candy to quite smoking. I used Atomic Fireballs, everytime I felt the urge I ate a fireball....after 14 years it worked, I was able to quit.
    Zeytin