RoadBikeReview Member

doubleclick.net arrrghhhhh

I'm being blocked from viewing one post, and it looks like "doubleclick" is the culprit.

Just ran Malwarebytes and installed Adblock- still doesn't work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you don't already have it, download Spybot (free). Run a scan. Delete offending crap. Then use "immunize" and update regularly.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Spybot seems stuck at the halfway point, takes forever. But I'll keep it open.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Spybot seems stuck at the halfway point, takes forever. But I'll keep it open.
    It takes a while on the first initial full scan. They all do.

Another option, based on which router you use for your home network, is to utilize DNS blocking. If your home router allows custom DNS zones, you can do what I do, redirect all known advertising hosts to 127.0.0.1 (localhost, a non routable IP). no advertising host will every load or work, won't cause a delay in loading regular websites, and you won't get popups about ad blockers when you try to visit some web sites.. Requires a little bit of technical aptitude (I use unbound (dns server) and the following site to obtain the list of adservers Ad server hostnames for blocking ads (or go here and select different formats Blocking with ad server and tracking server hostnames)) They even have a format for adblock pro

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I use Ghostery, in addition to AdBlock Plus and Flash blocker.

Ghostery blocks all that doubleclick BS, and a bunch of other invasive beacons. You can selectively unblock them if some function on a web site needs them to run.

https://www.ghostery.com/

It's the bombshitzel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Okay, tried Ghostery but there's no "save" option. Still seeing "doubleclick" message at bottom.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Okay, tried Ghostery but there's no "save" option. Still seeing "doubleclick" message at bottom.
    Is ghostery installed in your browser as an extension or add-on?

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Get a Mac.

Satanic Watch Winder
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    Get a Mac.
    or System Mechanic Professional.
    The crumbling of our wide freeways suggest a narrower vision

Only the mob and the elite can be attracted by the momentum of totalitarianism itself. The masses have to be won by propaganda.

MAKE AMERICA SMART AGAIN

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Is ghostery installed in your browser as an extension or add-on?
    Think so......but before that, I had erased extensions through another anti-virus thing.......but I went to Ghostery and checked the boxes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not defending doubleclick, but it's normally not harmful. It's does tracking and ad management.

Why would it stop you reading a post? Doesn't makes sense.

One.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Not defending doubleclick, but it's normally not harmful. It's does tracking and ad management.

Why would it stop you reading a post? Doesn't makes sense.
    Sometimes sponsored content has one or more invisible beacon graphics that have to be allowed to exist in order for the content to load. Doubleclick and a bunch of other stalking, spying, ad-slinging spammers, er, I mean web marketing agencies use these.

Hey Christine, here's what my ghostery looks like on this thread.

See the little blue ghost icon on the right side of my browser's address bar:

Here's what I see if I click the little ghost icon:

RoadBikeReview Member
    OK but OP said she couldn't read a post. Since when is a post "sponsored content"

I just think there's a different problem.

Since I use a Chromebook, I obviously would not know about this issue, so what do I know? I'll just keep quiet now.
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 03-09-2017 at 06:51 PM.

One.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    OK but OP said she couldn't read a post. Since when is a post "sponsored content"

I just think there's a different problem.
    I'd have to see the post. But if there's something from another web site in the post, or it's one of those sites that embeds ads and trackers all over the site, even in user-generated content, that would explain it.

Also, I've had pages only partially load because it gets to something I'm blocking, and can't go any further in loading the page because of the way the site is programmed.

Sometimes when this happens, if I really really want to see the content, I'll pause Ghostery and reload the page. Wallah. Everything works.

I use Chrome on my win 7 machine and on my Android 7.0 phone... the same browser in your chromebook. It's not the OS. It's the way the browser, any browser is handling beacons, session and persistent cookies, third-party cookies, read permissions on personal info like location beyond where your ISP-provided says you are, popups, and other explicitly set permissions.

If you don't have any problems ever viewing all web content... nothing is probably being blocked, and you're probably exposing yourself to all sorts of spyware malarkey and you don't even know it... stuff spybot isn't going to identify.

The latest spyware and other individual-identifying and tracking techniques are made to be surreptitious. You only see them if you're explicitly blocking them and something doesn't work on a web site specifically because you're blocking them.

tl;dr: From a security standpoint, you're better off having problems with web content getting blocked by your browser permissions now and then... than having everything just work "perfectly" all the time.
    Last edited by SPlKE; 03-09-2017 at 07:14 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    All I can say is that in many years being on this forum, I've never had this issue.

Possibly it's her AV software that is blocking a post. That, I could understand.

One.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    All I can say is that in many years being on this forum, I've never had this issue.

Possibly it's her AV software that is blocking a post. That, I could understand.
    So many websites are calling open-source javascript libraries now, many of which reference other javascript libraries, etc, etc, etc.

It's not hard to make malicious code and sneak it into some otherwise useful javascript libraries and put them out there for programmers to use.

Most of the developers I work with are under extreme pressure to roll out new features on web sites and aren't responsible for QA testing and security testing.

Unfortunately, when programmers are allowed to be dynamically referencing remote code libraries which themselves are subject to change by parties unknown, QA and security testing becomes a moving target.

Wordpress has had some pretty nasty cases of this. One web ad agency I work with migrated all of their customers away from wordpress because of this problem -- malicious code getting into otherwise good user-generated code.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmmm.......no little Booberry ghost icon. Guess I didn't install it properly. Thank you for putting it in terms I can grasp!

It does seem to be just that one post, and apparently I'm not the only one having the issue. No other post or website gives me a hard time. Maybe I'm over-reacting, but it's good to stay on top of these things.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Booberry ... hehe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aha! I DO have it! Looks like an edible Pac Man ghost.

Still can't get into the thread, though. Strange.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    The issue is that some pages won't fully load if the initial ad or tracking content does not load. Nothing nefarious about it.

And yes, in the past ad networks have been compromised resulting in malicious payloads being spread by many well known sites.

An example was a vulnerability in windows image processing libraries. A malicious image would result in compromise. Right around the release of the Sony PS3 thousands of malicious images and eBay ads showed up. Anyone loading the images thatbgad not patched were violated.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Aha! I DO have it! Looks like an edible Pac Man ghost.

Still can't get into the thread, though. Strange.
    Maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Another option, based on which router you use for your home network, is to utilize DNS blocking.
    I use this but it has to be done for each machine.

Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File
    It's Mueller Time