Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    We have met the enemy...

Dream garage and workshop--and the car's a keeper too...

We have been talking endlessly about what to do for a workshop/garage as I approach the finish line, and will have to get my tools/supplies out of the house so we can start to inhabit the rest of it.

So lots of Goog-noodling--and I have been looking at contemporary/modern images for ideas...

This one I thought was very cool. Blog mention here--the Seattle architects are Harrison Architects.

And it has a green roof!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

Frog Whisperer
    they used an architect for that?????

Infinitely practical, it is..... but I think it's ugly.... I'd build one

HOWEVER....I have my doubts that the roof would work well in NY with snow loads! And with the transom windows, what keeps the sidewalls from racking from wind or a side load?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

DEK
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Very cool. Does the car come with it?

Ricardo Cabeza
    too small
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    too small
    Spoken like a man after my own heart...
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post

Infinitely practical, it is..... but I think it's ugly.... I'd build one

HOWEVER....I have my doubts that the roof would work well in NY with snow loads! And with the transom windows, what keeps the sidewalls from racking from wind or a side load?
    Yeah, I agree about the green roof especially--I'm thinking raised seam metal on a pitch like that so that snow just shoots off!

I suppose you hire an architect to answer questions like the racking problem--and then he hires an engineer to get an answer for you.

I think I was just pleased to find an image of something that was not boring.

When we started the reno (and before the financial crisis) I had planned to do the garage/workshop from the get-go, to keep all the debris out of the house, but that was 'best-laid plans'

We have met the enemy...
    This is one I went far enough to price. SIPS construction, so speedy construction.

For my purposes the "deck" would be full length for machinery/wood storage, shop/tools over on the side where the mockup shows the long desk...

(Plan would be flipped left to right as well...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dream garage and workshop--and the car's a keeper too...-garage_shopf.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Beetpull DeLite
    I found this thread this weekend - a relatively new guy who studied under Ted Wojcik who sells under the name 44 Bikes. Pretty neat thread about him turning his old horse barn into a workshop.

44 Bikes Frame Shop - The Garage Journal Board

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    I found this thread this weekend - a relatively new guy who studied under Ted Wojcik who sells under the name 44 Bikes. Pretty neat thread about him turning his old horse barn into a workshop.

44 Bikes Frame Shop - The Garage Journal Board
    OK--that is freaking awesome!

We are in post and beam country--so I see Craigslist ads where someone will sell a complete structure--price includes taking it down and putting it back up again.

It is tempting--especially after that thread--primitive recycling, great space and end up with something that the Seattle one is aspiring to, but is really only an effete wanna be...

(And yeah--I have been hanging out on Garage Journal...
    *hangs his head in embarrassment*)

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    This is one I went far enough to price. SIPS construction, so speedy construction.

For my purposes the "deck" would be full length for machinery/wood storage, shop/tools over on the side where the mockup shows the long desk...

what's with all the people lounging around?

and no one working on a car
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Low rep power

Only one door? How do you get the boat in and out? And where's the pit for oil changes and exhaust work?
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

FNG

I like the ceiling fan over the card table at the back, and couch for the random ladies to lounge on. It's a perfect chop shop!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

Is not a clown car
    Thanks for the thread Girchy. I've been following him on flickr for a while. Love his bikes, and he seems a nice fellow. I like his project too!
    Disclaimer: I sell ::Singulars:: and write a :blog:
    ::Pictures::

Seat's not level
    There is a 'rich' neighborhood out where I ride. A few of the houses have garages that are set up for RV's. I always thought that would be a great way to go for cyclists. You could drive straight in with the bikes on the top of the car !

Similar idea to this, but done mostly as out buildings that look nicer.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

Ricardo Cabeza

SuperAndy's Garage

Seat's not level
    One in that neighborhood has a 4 car + an Rv that looks like that.

My ideal garage. Big enought so vehicles are parked 5-6 feet apart. No door dings and easy to get around.

Heated floor with a drain so the snow melts off. Heated driveway so I don't have to shovel.

An extra bay or two for bikes and a shop.

One room for all the sandblasting stuff, connected to the design room where all the computer and dust sentitive stuff lives.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    One in that neighborhood has a 4 car + an Rv that looks like that.

My ideal garage. Big enought so vehicles are parked 5-6 feet apart. No door dings and easy to get around.

Heated floor with a drain so the snow melts off. Heated driveway so I don't have to shovel.

An extra bay or two for bikes and a shop.

One room for all the sandblasting stuff, connected to the design room where all the computer and dust sentitive stuff lives.
    Yup, big enough for a booth for the messy stuff like sand blasting and a booth for the clean stuff like painting. Both would have floor drains for easy clean up.

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    As much as I would love to build a barn. This is what I will probably end up doing for my bicycle shop.

MetroCabin

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    As much as I would love to build a barn. This is what I will probably end up doing for my bicycle shop.

MetroCabin
    I've been a fan of their stuff since they were first in Dwell, but I need a little more room for power tools. I have been unable to set up my big saw, and could be using it on almost a daily basis right now.

We have met the enemy...
    Yup, big enough for a booth for the messy stuff like sand blasting and a booth for the clean stuff like painting. Both would have floor drains for easy clean up.
    You'd have to see our property to see why that wouldn't work, even if we could afford it.

It would be cool to be able to separate wood shop from cars for me--I have been considering a two story, with the wood shop upstairs...

Good news everyone!
    If I had the money for a garage as big as the one above I probably would pay someone to do all my wrenching for me and wouldn't even need a garage.

I drank what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Might be a code requirement for stamped architectural plans to be approved by the city before the structure is built.

Or they just figured to hell with the headaches of planning, lets just hire someone who does it for a living.
    q_and_a - "I don't really have an appropriate response for this situation" so you'll have to wait 30 seconds for a reply

I drank what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    There is a 'rich' neighborhood out where I ride. A few of the houses have garages that are set up for RV's. I always thought that would be a great way to go for cyclists. You could drive straight in with the bikes on the top of the car !

Similar idea to this, but done mostly as out buildings that look nicer.
    That's ugly as hell, they should have kept the brick facade on the entire house.
    q_and_a - "I don't really have an appropriate response for this situation" so you'll have to wait 30 seconds for a reply

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been a fan of their stuff since they were first in Dwell, but I need a little more room for power tools. I have been unable to set up my big saw, and could be using it on almost a daily basis right now.
    There stuff is nice. Its just a matter of how much space you need. I just want a heated space for the bikes and my motorcycle.

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by j__h View Post
    That's ugly as hell, they should have kept the brick facade on the entire house.
    brick would not have fixed that abomination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast