S2H
    wut?

Is dryer exhaust harmful?

I just did two loads of laundry without realizing that the dryer exhaust was dumping the exhaust into the basement, not the yard. I thought it smelled a little funny...

My fingernails aren't purple, so I think I'm in teh clear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2003
    What makes you think it would be harmful?

Non Non Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty
    I just did two loads of laundry without realizing that the dryer exhaust was dumping the exhaust into the basement, not the yard. I thought it smelled a little funny...

I'm pretty sure it's just hot, humid air and the smell of your fabric softener. Unless you're drying something besides clothes in there...
    Move along...nothing to see here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The dryer creates superheated particles of styrene, which are released from clothes everytime you launder them. The vapors, when inhaled, cool, polymerize, and turn your lungs into styrofoam.

banned
    Aug 2006
    Dryer exhaust contains a psychotropic drug, 1,2Di-ethylene exachloride which is a volatile organic compound given off when polymers such as lycra are heated above 20 Centigrade. A common effect of this drug, when inhaled in even small quantities is to give the impression of being an experienced cyclist, this leads to an enhanced feeling of balance, which in turn leads to an attempt to ride a bike along a narrow plank suspended over Niagra Falls.

Mess O'Potamist

nummy!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn Bait
    The dryer creates superheated particles of styrene, which are released from clothes everytime you launder them. The vapors, when inhaled, cool, polymerize, and turn your lungs into styrofoam.
    popcorn lungs.
    i heard with movement it will aslo polarize hair follicles so yer hair stands-up.

be careful out there

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Vents are for suckers.

We recently purchased a condensor dryer. All exhaust is condensed into a reservoir that drains into a sink. No need to vent... or worry about a fire from a clogged vent. If we chose to, we could empty the reservoir after each load-- meaning we could place the dryer anywhere in the house (if we were so inclined).

Go Blue

Is your dryer's hear source electric or natural gas. If it is electric, there is no harm in venting into the house -- all that will go into the house is vaporized water and any lint that is not caught by the lint trap. However, I recall that when we were looking at dryers when we lived in a house with a gas line and natural gas was an option, that a gas-heated dryer had to be vented to the outside.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

S2H
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    Is your dryer's hear source electric or natural gas. If it is electric, there is no harm in venting into the house -- all that will go into the house is vaporized water and any lint that is not caught by the lint trap. However, I recall that when we were looking at dryers when we lived in a house with a gas line and natural gas was an option, that a gas-heated dryer had to be vented to the outside.
    I'm not sure, but I think it's gas. Whatever, I'm tough.

What did you say? Huh?
    I'm not sure, but I think it's gas. Whatever, I'm tough.
    Famous words...

//////as teh haUS goes kerblooey...
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I'm sure it's fine... You probably would have noticed any ill side effects (unless there's carcinogens in it). You didn't try to "bong" the exhaust hose, did you?

Resident Dutchbag
    Your a idiot. You should have tested by putting the doggy down in the basement, if the pooch dies it means you have to ventilate. Keep throwing puppies in there till you are sure the air is clear.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

What did you say? Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by golzy
    I'm sure it's fine... You probably would have noticed any ill side effects (unless there's carcinogens in it). You didn't try to "bong" the exhaust hose, did you?
    Note no postings on his part in nearly an hour...
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

Resident Dutchbag
    Quote Originally Posted by Room 1201
    Note no postings on his part in nearly an hour...
    The dryer exhaust fumes are forcing him to watch pr0n, no doubt. Randy little lard rind he is.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

S2H
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by golzy
    You didn't try to "bong" the exhaust hose, did you?
    Heck yes I did.

Shirtcocker
    Heck yes I did.
    I bet the dryer gets hot enough to be a vaporizer if you had about a kilo of weed to burn--presumably you could get a whole room stoned. Give it a try at your next party and report back.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

S2H
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    I bet the dryer gets hot enough to be a vaporizer if you had about a kilo of weed to burn--presumably you could get a whole room stoned. Give it a try at your next party and report back.
    Send me a pound of grass and I'll do it.

banned
    Jan 2004

Lint on walls and ceiling is a BIG fire hazard

I can't think of anything in the exhaust that would harm you, at least in small doses (in an electric dryer it would be water and air; I assume gas dryers have separate stacks for the flame). The lint that drifts around the room can be a major fire hazard, though.
    Everybody knows about the danger of clogged vents, but nobody thinks about drifting lint. I was in a volunteer FD for 10 years, and we saw a couple of fires a year where the lint that had leaked from the exhaust and collected under cabinets or behind appliances would light up and set the walls, drapes etc on fire. One woman told me she was plugging in a vacuum cleaner when the outlet sparked. It set fire to a layer of dryer lint on the wall and "it just raced up the wall and over the ceiling like a movie."

S2H
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory
    I can't think of anything in the exhaust that would harm you, at least in small doses (in an electric dryer it would be water and air; I assume gas dryers have separate stacks for the flame). The lint that drifts around the room can be a major fire hazard, though.
    Everybody knows about the danger of clogged vents, but nobody thinks about drifting lint. I was in a volunteer FD for 10 years, and we saw a couple of fires a year where the lint that had leaked from the exhaust and collected under cabinets or behind appliances would light up and set the walls, drapes etc on fire. One woman told me she was plugging in a vacuum cleaner when the outlet sparked. It set fire to a layer of dryer lint on the wall and "it just raced up the wall and over the ceiling like a movie."
    Yeah, there was a bunch clumped up on a window sill. I'm sure there's more behind the washer and dryer.

What did you say? Huh?
    Yeah, there was a bunch clumped up on a window sill. I'm sure there's more behind the washer and dryer.
    S2H..soon to be re-handled...S2H-in-Orbit
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO