pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

ebay horror of the day

Get me to In&Out
    It has hand built wheels, so it must be awesome. I like the part about having to pay him gas money if he delivers it to you. You are selling a $2700+ bike and want someone to pay you gas money like you are in high school. He is really quibbling over $4 worth of gas and have the class to put it in your ebay add. Surprised he didn't try to get you pay his listing fee as well.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, sram shifters and dura-ace brakes, what kind of a douchebag ruins a bike that way?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Also, whatever horror you think he has applied to this bike is nothing compared to the 3-400 dollars in fees that ebay is going to charge him for the privilege of using their system. You know, the system in which you are forbidden from using payment options not owned by ebay, where paypal takes a nice chunk right off the top, and where ebay charges you 10% right off the top of your sale (and shipping) price.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    ebay, and especialy paypal are such scams.

Kind of amazing how someone who wants a hybrid spends thousands of dollars to turn a nice road bike into a hybrid bike. I bet his brother has a mountain bike with aero bars. I see that on the MUT around here.

Get me to In&Out
    I just got an email from Ebay yesterday asking me to write my congressman to protest the possible online sales tax. They were saying how hard it will be for small online businesses to survive if online customers have to pay the extra 7%. It struck me odd since Ebay takes a huge chunk of the "small businessmen's" profits.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage View Post
    Also, whatever horror you think he has applied to this bike is nothing compared to the 3-400 dollars in fees that ebay is going to charge him for the privilege of using their system. You know, the system in which you are forbidden from using payment options not owned by ebay, where paypal takes a nice chunk right off the top, and where ebay charges you 10% right off the top of your sale (and shipping) price.
    I never noticed just how high those fees were! I got a bill for $58 for selling my bro in-law's phone and a pair of cycling shoes... were they always this high? Sh*t is crazy. 10% here, 5% there....pro tip: if you list from your iphone at least the insertion fees are waived.

w-g
    Will rep for beer
    I'm not an ebay expert but....happened to be discussing how to sell one's crap, um, important, no longer needed items with a friend and they said they've stopped ebaying things. Amazon apparently now has a service to sell your stuff.
    The way it was 'splained to me was: Sign up, find a similar item on their site, some how link your item to that similar item. Amazon's process handles the shipping and so on. The buyer, pays the shipping, the seller prints a prepaid UPS label and sends it. There's probably more to it but thought I throw this out to ya'll. Hopefully it works as easy as they said it did for them. Several successful sales already.
    “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” Inigo Montoya

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yea i sold a bike last year and between shipping, and ebay, it hardly made it worthwhile.

They have gotten higher in the cost department.

I still peak in once in a while, but honestly its time has passed for me.

Bill

Le Misérable
    The coolest thing about that ad is how some of the components are "brand new with minimal wear."
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    He will only ship to the "Upper 48". Does that include Canada? I guess Texas and Florida are screwed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    If this, if Ebay is horror, then Craigslisp must be xxx hardcore smut to you all.
    Only the dead shall know the end of war.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    I just got an email from Ebay yesterday asking me to write my congressman to protest the possible online sales tax. They were saying how hard it will be for small online businesses to survive if online customers have to pay the extra 7%. It struck me odd since Ebay takes a huge chunk of the "small businessmen's" profits.
    Can't blame eBay for trying to get that 7% cut instead of letting the gov have it. If the gov takes the cut eBay can't raise fees without major protest from sellers. It's all about greed.

On a side note. I had an Fvck-Tard that thought he was slick thinking I wouldn't notice the damage on an item I bought from him. I emailed him and demanded a full refund after telling him about the damage. He was pleasant about offering a refund and said that was normal for that item. Yeah right! Got my refund and negged the scamming piece of excrement. Oh, he was really upset I negged him even though he voluntarily gave me a refund. He failed to realize that feedback should be an honest part of the transaction and I would have got my refund anyway after filing a complaint with eBay. Hey, he wasted my time since I tried to correct the damage and cost me money and time sending the item back. He got honest feedback that he has to live with. This was the second scammer I had in about ten years so my eBay experience has been pretty enjoyable.