Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    Agree like everyone else - get an oil filled unit. These are very quiet. Get a decent brand, like Delonghi, who have made these for a long time. I've used one for over 40 years, they work great. Forget the dumb extra cost stuff like digital controls. This unit has all you need, they made a similar one in white, but black will radiate better.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PLQ4T8..._t1_B000TGDGLU

On costs - around here (upstate NY), electricity delivered costs $0.14/kWh, ($4.20 therm) and a gas therm delivered, depending on volume can cost up to 1.69/therm. No question gas is cheaper, but you need to look at your costs - in New England due to lack of gas pipelines servicing the geography, gas can be pretty expensive compared to the rest of country.
    It also depends on how efficient your gas furnace is, old ones can be less effective, and of course, the idea of heating the whole space versus one room.
    Gas, lp or kerosene all require adequate ventilation or direct venting. You do not want CO poisoning.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

We have met the enemy...
    We're not as tough as T0G--we actually turn our furnace on, but we do keep it set pretty low. Supplemental heat is from the airtight stove.

Bathroom we have a small electric plug in (with fan)--turned on for shower time and then off again--although we will set it to run to a constant temp when it gets 'wicked cold'.

We also use one of the de Longhi oil filled for individual room heat when you are away from the main rooms that get heated by the stove. They work great, with a slower response time. Sometimes ours is in the guest room (MIL), sometimes in the unheated garage when I'm making sawdust in the winter.

My pick for a single room--the deLonghi. Ours has a double switch, so you get essentially SW1 (low), SW2 (med), or both together (highest/fastest) along with a temp setting. For a single room with some background heat, we do SW1 and set it around the middle setting and it works fine.

(MIL?--both switches, highest setting. Our power bill jumps when she stays, but it is still cheaper than overheating the whole house....)
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    We're not as tough as T0G--we actually turn our furnace on, but we do keep it set pretty low. Supplemental heat is from the airtight stove.

Bathroom we have a small electric plug in (with fan)--turned on for shower time and then off again--although we will set it to run to a constant temp when it gets 'wicked cold'.

We also use one of the de Longhi oil filled for individual room heat when you are away from the main rooms that get heated by the stove. They work great, with a slower response time. Sometimes ours is in the guest room (MIL), sometimes in the unheated garage when I'm making sawdust in the winter.

My pick for a single room--the deLonghi. Ours has a double switch, so you get essentially SW1 (low), SW2 (med), or both together (highest/fastest) along with a temp setting. For a single room with some background heat, we do SW1 and set it around the middle setting and it works fine.

(MIL?--both switches, highest setting. Our power bill jumps when she stays, but it is still cheaper than overheating the whole house....)
    Keeping in mind that we built this house ourselves designed to heat it with wood. My furnace is on actually, set to 45 degrees, which is as low as I can set it. It would not even be on were it not for the fact that we were out of town for 4 days. The furnace hasn't run though. My electric is 45/month, year round. I burn about 400 gallons of lp per year. I also burn 6 or 7 cords of wood (3 story, 2500 sq ft) the wood stove is wrapped with well over 40,000 pounds of stone.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12