Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Ex Mac fan boys, how was the change?

I have finally had enough of Apple and their screw the customer customer service. I wish Ibis bikes made computers, their CS is top notch. So after using Macs since 1991 (Duo 280c) loving the simplicity of the OS and having bought a number greater than 10 Apple products I am not looking forward to switching to PCs. How much of a learning curve is it switching to Windows? Any dos and don'ts? Oh and the ferst smart ars that says get a mac deserves one.
    Edit Signature here---------->

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I've had nothing but great experiences with Apples customer service, everybody else I've ever spoken to has nothing but good things to say also. I don't think I could ever switch back to PC, I just don't like the layout of everything.

Call me a Fred
    Windows 8 will be out shortly. Wait until it ships and get a PC then and you can learn with the rest of us.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Cheese is my copilot
    I went from an Apple II to DOS to a Mac to Windows. They're all tools. Some are better at some things, some are better than others. Deal with it.

Just stay away from cp/m.
    Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    I have finally had enough of Apple and their screw the customer customer service. I wish Ibis bikes made computers, their CS is top notch. So after using Macs since 1991 (Duo 280c) loving the simplicity of the OS and having bought a number greater than 10 Apple products I am not looking forward to switching to PCs. How much of a learning curve is it switching to Windows? Any dos and don'ts? Oh and the ferst smart ars that says get a mac deserves one.
    I use a mac at home and pc at work. Windows has gotten better. Not that bad.

I made the switch from iphone to android last year and do not regret that either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I switched away from mac when they went to OSX- OSX was great but suddenly none of our peripherals worked anymore, often release times for updated drivers were 10-12-14 months out, and Quark X-press was looking at just not updating.

So we switched to PC.

The differences were pretty minor. seriously, the differences were pretty much negligible. All the software I need was available, fonts were converted with a free program, pretty much no problems.

THat said, the PC was definitely less stable. It caught viruses that my macs never did- 3 nearly fatal viruses, about one every year and a half I had it.

Switched back to mac last year, again, no real difference.

The big thing is, it's just a freaking computer. It's a tool, they all pretty much work the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmm. Maybe it's cause I'm in Japan or I have unreasonable expectations but their habit of not notifying owners of potential problems when they know there are some pisses me off. Just this weekend my MBP crashed, turns out there is a free repair program for that problem(video card), why did I register my mac if it's not to allow them to contact me? Same happened on a 1st generation I mac with faulty capacitors. Lesson learnt; don't buy 1st generation products and wait about two weeks b4 installing updates. thanks for the replies.
    Edit Signature here---------->

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been using windows since 92' as a 5 year old. Rocking DOS. I've seen 95, 98, 2000, XP, Longhorn turned Vista, 7, and 8.

I would stick with Mac if I were you. You're going to ****ing hate your life. Mac is all you know thus far.

I owned a MacBook for 1 year and I ran it in windows 90 percent of the time. The other OS was a "novelty" to me. I didn't care for it. Sold it to some hipster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use both Windows 7 and a Mac every day. The interfaces are different so your productivity will take a hit while you figure things out. Maybe a few weeks. After that things are easy. My frankenpc running Win7 is actually a little bit more stable than either the MacBook Air I'm using now or the MacBook Pro it replaced, but no real issues with any of it.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage View Post
    I switched away from mac when they went to OSX- OSX was great but suddenly none of our peripherals worked anymore, often release times for updated drivers were 10-12-14 months out, and Quark X-press was looking at just not updating.

So we switched to PC.

The differences were pretty minor. seriously, the differences were pretty much negligible. All the software I need was available, fonts were converted with a free program, pretty much no problems.

THat said, the PC was definitely less stable. It caught viruses that my macs never did- 3 nearly fatal viruses, about one every year and a half I had it.

Switched back to mac last year, again, no real difference.

The big thing is, it's just a freaking computer. It's a tool, they all pretty much work the same.
    Pretty much all of this (and wasn't it YEARS before Quark stepped up?).

Thing is, you're not going to spend your time in the OS, you're going to spend it working in whatever programs you use. And if you use the same ones you used on the Mac, you'll mostly feel at home.

Question is, what do you think Microsoft's customer service is going to be like?

Few pro tips:

Run 64-bit
    Don't buy an antivirus. Download Microsoft's Security Essentials for free. (Once my clients realize I'm not rebuilding infected computers on a daily basis I may be in trouble.)
    Last edited by DrRoebuck; 09-30-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Flash! ah–ahhh!

(sry, couldn't resist lol)

Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Rep *****.
    If you switch can you still attend Apple worship services or are you shunned?
    Tags: Truckstop Honeys, Becky Beadle, Subaru, 12" stroke, The moon, 10 grams, Beet Smoothie
    <--It aint gonna rep itself. Hit me

We have met the enemy...
    I was an original Mac fanboi (1984)--even based my short-lived computer business around Macs, but quickly realized that they are the most ruthless market driven company out there. I've refused to spend a dime on an Apple product since.

Want a full featured product? You can count on Apple releasing a crippled product first, nailing the early adopters--the decent version will be out later and it will cost you more.

About the only thing they got right was compatibility--up to the point where they no longer had it.

The PC world is fine--functionality seems to me to have equalized for most things--and in fact there are features in PCWorld that I like better like right click on the mouse.

Yes there are more viruses, and yes the whole thing is a bit slip-shod (someone described running Windows as being like sitting in an airconditioned room, oblivious to the fact that somewhere in the basement there are scores of monkeys throwing buckets of ice up in front of fans)--but you still can get in there and fix stuff yourself (or screw it up and then fix it)--although the nanny state attitude has been featured more and more in the later releases of Windows....

Best of all--it is flat out cheaper for similar levels of performance, and you have choice.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    I use a Mac at home and a PC at work. I find the PC to be less intuitive, but it works fine. Microsoft's OS has become much more Mac-like as time has gone on, and I'd say that's for the best.

I still strongly prefer my Mac, that's partially due to physical design and partially due to it being more intuitive to me. YMMV, etc, etc.

Also, if you're switching due to customer service I'm guessing you'll be disappointed. Again, YMMV, etc, etc.

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by V.Rossi46 View Post
    I've had nothing but great experiences with Apples customer service, everybody else I've ever spoken to has nothing but good things to say also.
    +1. I'd say at least 95% of my experiences with the folks at the various Apple Stores I've been to have been good to great. They're nice, polite, will take the time to explain things to you, and will generally go the extra mile.

For instance, they fixed my gf's Macbook (which was having a dim screen issue) for free, even though it was a bit beyond the warranty.

Can easily envision nearly all the other electronics places I've ever shopped at looking at me and saying, "Tough luck" in a similar circumstance.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

feh
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CycoBob View Post
    With Linux, you can do what you want; use your computer's full potential; and have access to the entire OS, right down to the kernel, if you want/need it/are so inclined.
    Seconded. Install the latest version of kubuntu on a clean machine. If you're learning a new interface, might as well avoid paying for an OS license.
    What's the Matter with Kansas?

We have met the enemy...
    Nice thing about Linux, too, is that you're not limited to one current OS- but there are literally HUNDREDS of different flavors to suit everyone's needs/tastes.

And amazingly, even though Linux is free.....things like bug fixes happen much more quickly than with the proprietary OS's.

Cut your teeth on one of the 'Buntu's (Kubuntu; Ubuntu; Lubuntu; Xubuntu...) and the Linux world will be your oyster.
    I'll start using UNIX when they show some discipline, and stop releasing every $#^* "app on the distros and they leave you guessing as to what combination of stuff would work together.

At least M$ and Apple have some discipline, and only some ideas get implemented.

Linux will remain a niche product for as long as people have to think through the install process.

(and yes, I have tried versions of Ubuntu, Red Hat and others--now if I were building a web server for myself, I would be on Linux, no question.)
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    I'll start using UNIX when they show some discipline, and stop releasing every $#^* "app on the distros and they leave you guessing as to what combination of stuff would work together.

At least M$ and Apple have some discipline, and only some ideas get implemented.

Linux will remain a niche product for as long as people have to think through the install process.

(and yes, I have tried versions of Ubuntu, Red Hat and others--now if I were building a web server for myself, I would be on Linux, no question.)
    Not going to happen because there is no 'they' unless you pay for a support contract, which you can if that's something you need. Ubuntu offers desktop support for $105/yr. For that they will talk you through installing whatever you're having trouble with including the OS itself, which honestly is far easier to install than windows 7 because it actually comes with drivers whereas with windows you have to hunt and peck and go out to several vendors sites just to get basic stuff like your touchpad or wireless radio working.
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Nice thing about Linux, too, is that you're not limited to one current OS- but there are literally HUNDREDS of different flavors to suit everyone's needs/tastes.

And amazingly, even though Linux is free.....things like bug fixes happen much more quickly than with the proprietary OS's.

Cut your teeth on one of the 'Buntu's (Kubuntu; Ubuntu; Lubuntu; Xubuntu...) and the Linux world will be your oyster.
    Lubuntu for the last few years, before that arch. ( got lazy!) I have a dual boot with windows, but go there extremely hardly ever. If you are not a gamer or have a special program that runs on mac or windows only, linux works. Surf over to distrowatch and try a live disk of one of the top 10. See if it will work for you.
    Last edited by justslow; 10-01-2012 at 03:14 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayAreaDude View Post
    Not going to happen because there is no 'they' unless you pay for a support contract, which you can if that's something you need. Ubuntu offers desktop support for $105/yr. For that they will talk you through installing whatever you're having trouble with including the OS itself, which honestly is far easier to install than windows 7 because it actually comes with drivers whereas with windows you have to hunt and peck and go out to several vendors sites just to get basic stuff like your touchpad or wireless radio working.
    Really? What hardware are you folks having issues and whining about with drivers?
    I ran win7 on my old Dell the day it came out and win 7 had ALL peripherals drivers!

Even on my mac, Win7 drivers is a piece of cake. Windows 7 is the best thing MS has done with their OS since windows 98! Windows 8 should be even better in time.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Spicy Dumpling
    I love my mac for home use and will not go back to Windows. I use windows and linux at work. Windows for outlook and Linux for everything else. I'd consider linux again if they had lightroom and photoshop (yes I know about Gimp). It's getting better but still not as easy to setup as the mac. My time is important, Windows is cheaper but the time to keep up with virus protection, find drivers etc is a killer for me.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Setting an expectation that Linux systems "just work" is cruel. The learning curve will kick the bejeesus out of you.

waterproof*
    MS DOS sucks.

* posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

12 strings, no waiting
    I've used windows since 2.0. In fact, my job is writing software for it. Every time I use a Mac, it drives me nuts. I don't get it. It is definitely not intuitive to me. I still don't have the slightest clue how to run a program on the Mac. I just poke around and click stuff until I stumble upon it. I'll stick with windows.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How many people get the "latest & greatest" version of Windurs, only to discover that drivers for their old peripherals/hardware/whatever are no longer even available? That's one of the things I love about Linux- it's backward compatible- even with computer architecture.
    I found Windows 7 to be easy with older stuff. My Mac SL was harder to find/get drivers than win 7.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast