LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006

Expanded my chocolates hobby...

...to actually making the chocolate.

Fermented, roasted, husked cocoa beans...

After a few minutes in the refiner, just the beans and a little cocoa butter...

After several hours, joined by sugar and whole milk powder...

After 48 hours in the refiner, 5 lbs of chocolate...

Out of the molds, this is a dark milk chocolate at 50%...

That was my first batch, had a few learning curves thrown at me but it worked out great in the end. I've since done a batch of 70% dark and 40% milk using Sur del Lago beans from Venezuela that are still aging a bit right now before I temper and mold. Getting ready to get batches of 65% dark and 45% milk going using Sambirano beans from Madagascar. I have a few other bean types in route, having fun with this so far.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    looks like fun and you can get into it as deep as you like.

Master debator.
    5 pounds nice! Very cool side hobby dude.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Welcome to the jungle
    You should market it... ‘RBR Moreon’ brand candy bars.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Uh, sweet!
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Boobies!
    Very cool. My lovely wife worked for a time for a top bean-to-bar chocolate maker, and we still miss the free samples!

Are the tools like the refiner hobbyist-priced or are they hella expensive?
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Very cool. My lovely wife worked for a time for a top bean-to-bar chocolate maker, and we still miss the free samples!

Are the tools like the refiner hobbyist-priced or are they hella expensive?
    The one I'm using right now is very much hobbyist priced. Has a maximum capacity of 8 lbs and costs $260 + tax and shipping. They make a 10 lb model with a tilting drum for $300. After that, the numbers start going up quite a lot. The one I'm using seemed like my best option at this stage in terms of price and space required. If it catches on like I hope it does (nobody else even relatively close to where I live is doing this), I can just grab one or two more and still be well under cost of even the smallest industrial model. I don't have getting to very large scale as a goal, not even in the long term.
    - 10ae1203

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    The one I'm using right now is very much hobbyist priced. Has a maximum capacity of 8 lbs and costs $260 + tax and shipping. They make a 10 lb model with a tilting drum for $300. After that, the numbers start going up quite a lot. The one I'm using seemed like my best option at this stage in terms of price and space required. If it catches on like I hope it does (nobody else even relatively close to where I live is doing this), I can just grab one or two more and still be well under cost of even the smallest industrial model. I don't have getting to very large scale as a goal, not even in the long term.
    Good to see you thinking about it, because you are headed down a rabbit hole.

A very cool, fun, and tasty rabbit hole, but still. That way lies obsession.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Out of the molds, this is a dark milk chocolate at 50%...

Coco, good source of magnesium, good for relaxing muscles, good source against cramping.

Here is your next challenge.

Expanded my chocolates hobby...-epcot-ball.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Looks like about 2 lbs of finished bars from the original 5 lbs out of the refiner... good thing you take process quality control so seriously :-)

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bike981 View Post
    Looks like about 2 lbs of finished bars from the original 5 lbs out of the refiner... good thing you take process quality control so seriously :-)
    That's actually only 240 grams, so just over 1/2 lb, of finished bars. The molds each make 3 x 80 gram bars. I made 15 bars from this batch so I still have close to half the batch left. Didn't even pick the best examples for the picture. If you look closely, you can see a couple small bubble dimples. Most of the bars didn't have them but this is a learning process so... warts and all.
    - 10ae1203

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Good to see you thinking about it, because you are headed down a rabbit hole.

A very cool, fun, and tasty rabbit hole, but still. That way lies obsession.
    Yeah, I know how that goes. I've been doing chocolate work for a pretty long time, just not making my own. I don't intend to switch over to using just my own chocolate for shell molding and dipping, at least not anytime soon, just adding single origin bean-to-bar bars to what I already do. Maybe some occasional molding or dipping with it to use up extra left from bar molding.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Looks great. Love good dark chocolate.

Sweet Potato Kugel

Be a Billion Aire

....I've been doing chocolate work for a pretty long time, just not making my own.
    Do Drugs.
    It's the way of the world.

CHEEBA CHEWS CHOCOLATE TAFFYS

Price: $8
    Available at:Select locations (see map)
    Product description: These Tootsie-Roll-esque chews are particularly attractive because they don’t have an expiration date like brownies and cookies, and they won’t melt in our hands or pockets like regular chocolate bars. They’re available in Indica, Sativa, and Hybrid varieties.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Do Drugs.
    It's the way of the world.
    It will be legal throughout Canada in the very near future, so...
    - 10ae1203

Sweet Potato Kugel
    It will be legal throughout Canada in the very near future, so...
    LOL. Tongue in cheek remark on my part, but I hear you. We have a place in our parts, Hercules Candy and Chocolate, I know the daughter and her twin brother. There is money to be made in this hobby, just don't go the quick cash route with the dope. LOL. Here's their You Tube Channel. They ship all over the world, even Israel. It would be great if you could visit them and pick up a few tricks of the trade. They're extremely nice people.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFV...MP8duOumA8klmA
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    LOL. Tongue in cheek remark on my part, but I hear you. We have a place in our parts, Hercules Candy and Chocolate, I know the daughter and her twin brother. There is money to be made in this hobby, just don't go the quick cash route with the dope. LOL. Here's their You Tube Channel. They ship all over the world, even Israel. It would be great if you could visit them and pick up a few tricks of the trade. They're extremely nice people.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFV...MP8duOumA8klmA
    Yeah, I wasn't serious either. Edibles won't become legal at the same time as the other, they put a 9 month delay on that for whatever reason, I don't use any of the stuff personally and I don't think it would be as simple as just waiting until edibles are legal and selling them. The main reason behind the legalization is the tax dollar potential so I'm pretty sure they'll keep tight hold on who can sell it just like they do with liquor in most of the provinces.

I've seen some of the Hercules Candy videos before, they seem like nice people but they're doing a slightly different thing than what I'm doing. Same basic field but not really the same thing.
    - 10ae1203

Frog Whisperer
    LWP....my wife's first question....

But how does it taste?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    LWP....my wife's first question....

But how does it taste?
    Looks like chocolate, smells like chocolate, feels like chocolate, tastes like chocolate, doesn't quack like a duck... so I'm calling it chocolate.

I like to get opinions from others to balance my own, unintentionally but, possibly biased opinion so I shared some around. Everybody said it was really good, even the person who doesn't like dark chocolate. This is a milk chocolate but at 50% it's pretty assertive, that person said it was right at the edge of being too dark for them but that it was tasty and the texture was perfect. The real fun is going to start now that the rest of the beans I ordered are in. I'm looking forward to seeing the differences in the end results based on the bean used.
    - 10ae1203

gazing from the shadows
    ... and I don't think it would be as simple as just waiting until edibles are legal and selling them.
    I am sure there will be lots of regulations, primarily on security and controlling the THC extract and final product through the pipeline. These are things I assume would be shown in the application and approval process. Bureaucratic processes in the weed industry are something I like to talk about in class at times. Partly because it's a good example of bureaucratization, but also because it is a great real world example of rules being put in place pretty suddenly, as opposed to gradually over time.

If you want to see if you can profit from edibles, I would suggest looking for someone in the industry to partner with. Varietal chocolates + varietal weed extracts = top prices. Kind of like the gold rush, lots of people who mined gold went broke, but people who sold shovel and picks and eggs made plenty of money. Service the new industry, don't try to jump into it.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reminds me of the debate over a suspended license. Guy was 67 of age, Florida and pulled over by a local cop. He was asked if he was driving while drinking as the flashlight exposed a paper bag and a nozzle from Jimmy Beam. The driver said, "I was not drinking while driving, I only drank at STOP signs."

There's a lot of risk with the sale of dope in candy from what I could see. But, I'm not intelligent enough as an IP lawyer vs a litigation gooroo. I never carry a business card for one.

Back on tropics.
    Dope in the new world is DOPE! #high five thumb.
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's actually only 240 grams, so just over 1/2 lb, of finished bars. The molds each make 3 x 80 gram bars. I made 15 bars from this batch so I still have close to half the batch left. Didn't even pick the best examples for the picture. If you look closely, you can see a couple small bubble dimples. Most of the bars didn't have them but this is a learning process so... warts and all.
    Them be artisanal bubble dimples, LWP, they make it taste handcraftier.

I'd liek to eat some of that while wearing my lounge kit, on a ride. At a stop for coffee or tea, of course.