Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fake President
    Haven't bothered to see the second episode yet.

Am I missing anything, or is pretty much 'meh'?

I guess I'll check it out for Kim Dickens.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Haven't bothered to see the second episode yet.

Am I missing anything, or is pretty much 'meh'?

I guess I'll check it out for Kim Dickens.
    For me, it's leaning a little more towards the "meh" end of the spectrum at this point... but I'm not hating it and I like the other show enough that I'm going to stick it out for season 1 and see where it goes unless it just gets bad. The whole skipping a week after just two episodes thing is something that I don't love. But at least college football is back this week!
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Just watched the second episode and I agree with most comments about the lack luster performances and confusing story lines. Having watched The Walking Dead all these years, I've become accustomed to seeing some great special effects -- the camera rarely turns away. In FTWD, the female lead bludgeons the principal, and we don't see a single blow.

Also, why does everyone refuse to tell others what they've seen? The self-absorbed daughter still knows nothing about the near-death experiences her parents have had. She asks her mom what's going on, and the woman just stands there, confused. Any normal person would say, "Some people are turning into something super-human ... but zombie-like. I watched my boss try to eat one of my acne-faced students and it took three whacks to the head with a fire extinguisher to make him stop."

I'll give it a couple more chances, but it better step things up.

What the Hell is going on
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    There are some silly things that made me say "really?" but there are also some things where we have to keep in mind that, in regards to the zombie situation, we already know a lot more than they do.
    True that. And that's rather unfortunate and short sighted by the writers/producers. It's just this "knowing" by the audience is just a quick way to quickly fill in the gaps in logic while propelling the story forword. I mean, I got my mother to watch the show and she didn't understand why the policeman was stocking up his patrol car with water.

And do High Schools now have a methadone clinic on campus? I thought the school would turn over confiscated drugs to the police and not keep them locked away in an "evidence locker".

It's still mind boggling that the parents, after seeing some truly weird stuff, have not told anyone-not even their daughter, whose boyfriend is clearly a zombie.

I can only suspend my belief so much . . .
    Last edited by JaeP; 09-01-2015 at 12:18 AM.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BecauseBike View Post
    In FTWD, the female lead bludgeons the principal, and we don't see a single blow.
    Yup I don't get that. TWD never shy's away from over the top head smashing. Sometimes it's too much so I could see toning it down. But I think they should've shown her smashing the skull of the principal (her friend). It could've been a pivotal moment.

Also, why does everyone refuse to tell others what they've seen? The self-absorbed daughter still knows nothing about the near-death experiences her parents have had. She asks her mom what's going on, and the woman just stands there, confused. Any normal person would say, "Some people are turning into something super-human ... but zombie-like. I watched my boss try to eat one of my acne-faced students and it took three whacks to the head with a fire extinguisher to make him stop."
    The only plausible reason is she's afraid that her daughter will want to run back to her boyfriend to be with him (even more). But that could've been explained with a 5 second conversation with the father or brother.

So far, there's nothing making me care about this family, and the entire show revolves around them. Ugh.
    Maybe they'll soon kill off the entire family and bring in new characters.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Maybe they'll soon kill off the entire family and bring in new characters.
    YES! That would be awesome!

Fake President
    YES! That would be awesome!
    Everyone except the Mom.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Crusty AF
    For the mom anyway, I can buy her behaviour. After killing (in a very personal way) a colleague with whom she has a close professional relationship (recall the scene with the kid with the knife, and the knowing look between her and the principal - there's a high level of trust there), she's edging toward a Lady Macbeth moment, with the damned spots on her sweater. She's in shock/disbelief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

Misfit Toy
    So, I'm hoping the mom gets bit really soon. What an ass. I'm not finding this as compelling as TWD, I won't care if it doesn't come back after this first run.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    So, I'm hoping the mom gets bit really soon. What an ass. I'm not finding this as compelling as TWD, I won't care if it doesn't come back after this first run.
    They're already confirmed for this season's 6 episodes and 15 episodes for season 2. I guess after that depends on the response. I still want to see where they go with it, I can survive 6 episodes to do that. It looks like we're finally getting past the "meet the family" stage so hopefully it will start to get more interesting. If not, I won't bother with season 2. I'm trying to keep in mind that we've had 5 seasons to learn to care about the other show... but it did do a much better job of grabbing my interest early.
    - 10ae1203

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    I'm losing interest fast. I'm interested in where it goes, but have no interest in any of the characters or the plotline so far. It's all bleh.
    I was just saying someone on the show (from the family) needs to die. Preferably the husband. But someone has to go to make it real.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

I'm losing interest fast. I'm interested in where it goes, but have no interest in any of the characters or the plotline so far. It's all bleh.
    I was just saying someone on the show (from the family) needs to die. Preferably the husband. But someone has to go to make it real.
    Here's my idea for a great story line. It's kinda like "Lizzy, look at the flowers" but more mean and deliberate. Here it is: Teenagers being teenagers (self absorbed, spoiled know-it-alls) one of the parental units just gives up in trying to protect them and deliberately lets them walk into a bunch of zombies (for the teenagers own good, of course). Now that's a show I would enjoy watching.

Sorry SYS, Kim Dickens=Meh. Connie Britton es muy better.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    There's another thread around here somewhere that's already warned us that the apocalypse is going to happen next Wednesday... of course, it's predicting demons, not zombies. Do headshots kill demons?
    - 10ae1203

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    Sorry SYS, Kim Dickens=Meh. Connie Britton es muy better.
    It's not about the hawtness, it's about the acting.

Dickens is really good, assuming the writing and direction is up to her level.

off the back

The only plausible reason is she's afraid that her daughter will want to run back to her boyfriend to be with him (even more). But that could've been explained with a 5 second conversation with the father or brother.
    Or, simply every parent's desire to protect and shield their kid from the bad things going on in the world.

I'm in the opposite camp, I'm liking this maybe even a bit more than The Walking Dead. On that show, you know that no matter what kind of thing Rick and the gang find themselves in, they're gonna get out of it safely. Oh sure, some secondary character like Dale, or Bob, or Tyrese might end up buying it, but Rick and Daryl and the rest will get out of it. You know the world they're in, and what they need to do to survive.

With Fear, and the entire human civilization collapsing around them, it seems as if anything might happen at any moment, and no one appears to be safe.And they don't know what to do to survive, they don't really know what's going on. They have a bit of an idea, but they have no idea just how bad it's gonna get. As the fat Hispanic kid says, when civilization dies, it dies quickly. I kinda like that whole end of the world pandemonium.

Reuben Blades' character knows what's coming. He might not know the details of it, but he knows it's gonna be bad, and you gotta be prepared for it. As he said, when his daughter told him "they're good people", those are the ones who die first.
    Last edited by rufus; 09-18-2015 at 05:05 PM.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

Misfit Toy
    Oh good lord, I didn't recognize Ruben Blades!

Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    It's not about the hawtness, it's about the acting.
    Oh yeah, right. It's the acting . . .

Ummmm . . . . methinks the show is getting some traction. The concentration camp motive has me scratching my head but the way the mom put the beat down on her junkie son made me smile.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    The concentration camp motive has me scratching my head
    Really? Maybe I'm just less trusting than I should be but that's pretty close to exactly the sort of thing I would picture governments at least attempting to do. Create areas where people can be herded, convince them it's for their own safety and you have them semi-contained where they can be watched over and controlled. You also have them corralled so if too many start zombifying, you can fairly easily just take them all out. Of course, I'm guessing the "we got this under control" attitude of the guards that had them being casual enough about the job that people could still get out is pretty realistic as well.
    - 10ae1203

LWP, you speak truth about the concentration camp thing. Now it's getting interesting the teen agers, especially the daughter, are amystery to me. Still not invested much in any of the characters but Ruben Blades character is interesting.

Super cool homage to "No Country for Old Men".

RoadBikeReview Member
    They need to start killing characters and fast. Im giving them 2 more episodes to have the dad and that drug addict brat of a son eaton by zombies or I'm calling it quits.

Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    They need to start killing characters and fast. Im giving them 2 more episodes to have the dad and that drug addict brat of a son eaton by zombies or I'm calling it quits.
    Next week is the season finale. I would like to see the daughter become a zombie meal. I mean at this point are the characters still clueless about zombies? WTF? This show needs more zombies!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    Next episode is finale? FTWD seems like it follows the same general format as TWD: Give viewers a couple really good episodes to get you into it, then slow it way down and focus on the inner workings of the group, then finale should be decent.

Haven't been too impressed with the last couple episodes since they implemented the quarantine, if there is nothing going on in the quarantine, then they need to shift the focus to the poor survivors who didn't get "helped" by the military. Not too shabby though, better than most everything else on tv currently so I'll roll with it and see how the finale goes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Next week is the season finale. I would like to see the daughter become a zombie meal. I mean at this point are the characters still clueless about zombies? WTF? This show needs more zombies!
    Fine but if one of them doesn't get there face eaton off by a zombie in the next episode then I'm giving up.

WTF is up with that Ed Wood special effect of Abigail the yacht? Holy carp that was hilarious. Other than that the season finale was a dissapointment.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast