Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    What the Hell is going on

FEAR the Walking Dead

I thought that a teenage Karl was a bad enough, this show ihas nothing but teenagers. The pilot had some big holes in it like why didn't Travis call the police?
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Darling of The Lounge
    The police are involved in the conspiracy. It will all make sense in the third episode when Karl kills Megan.

Not Banned
    I did much of the collateral for this show for ComiCon
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I'm holding off on judgment for an episode or three. The pilot was pretty much entirely character setup, some of which got a bit long-winded, but things were beginning to go south on a larger level by the end so I'm going to see where they go with it. I think the most difficult part for many people is going to be keeping it separate from the other show in their head. This is different characters, a different setting and an earlier time period than where we came in with The Walking Dead so there will be major differences by necessity. I'm not sure I understand the problem with teens/kids being part of it... there's a lot of them running around so I imagine in a zombie apocalypse some of them have as good a chance as most adults at looking up from their cell phones long enough to survive for a while.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    I did much of the collateral for this show for ComiCon
    'Collateral'? Sorry, not up on the terms.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

take on me
    Saw the first episode finally. It's a semi-promising start, but it's too early to tell if it'll be all that good or not.

They were smart enough to cast Kim Dickens, the memorable lady detective from Gone Girl, in a lead role. If the show is largely centered around her going forward, that'll be a huge plus. She should be the 'Rick' of the show, if anything.

Have mixed feelings about the junkie teenager and his 'too cool for school' sister. They're okay, but I'm not that interested in them so far. Feels like they were cast just to grab the youth demographic. The writers are also trying too hard in all the obvious ways to make them compelling ("he's into HEROIN!" "she's in an INTERRACIAL RELATIONSHIP and has the icy coolness of a snarky 30 YEAR OLD!"). Eck.

But I do like that the writers seem to be doing a slow build here, which is actually a GOOD thing for once, The feeling of unease, the slowly escalating panic, the feeling that civilization is creeping along towards total breakdown... that all kinda happened too fast with the original series. Being able to take your time (though hopefully in an interesting way) is the ace in the hole that TV has over movies. So I hope they draw all that stuff out a bit here, if they can do it effectively.

As George Romero once said, "Fast zombies suck." I actually don't completely agree with him there, they do work sometimes, but fast societal collapses kinda suck. You sort of want to see the unravelling in real-time, not 'casual afternoon at Starbucks' one minute, and then BAM!, the world goes to sh*t the next.

It has potential, but feels uneven so far. Get the feeling this show will wind up being a 6 at best on a scale of 1 to 10, but we'll see.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    The original series didn't go from Starbuck's to crap overnight, the world was already crap when we arrived. I agree with you that it felt kinda like they were trying to force us to care about the characters instead of letting that happen naturally. I don't have an aversion to the idea of fast zombies, the only problem with that for me is that there is no way that anybody would survive for long in a Walking Dead scenario if you can't outrun the zombies. They don't rest or sleep or get tired so they would always eventually run you down.
    - 10ae1203

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    The original series didn't go from Starbuck's to crap overnight, the world was already crap when we arrived.
    In the first episode, Rick gets shot and wounded and taken to the hospital; he's hurt, but the world seems fine.

He wakes up out of his coma, and the world has gone to total sh*t.

From his perspective, it's pretty freakin' sudden. And since he's the main character, especially early on, it's fast for we the viewer too.

I agree with you that it felt kinda like they were trying to force us to care about the characters instead of letting that happen naturally.
    Yah. Seldom works when they do it that way.

Good writing and good acting trumps gimmicks on that any day.

I don't have an aversion to the idea of fast zombies, the only problem with that for me is that there is no way that anybody would survive for long in a Walking Dead scenario if you can't outrun the zombies. They don't rest or sleep or get tired so they would always eventually run you down.
    It can work out. Watch something like 28 Days Later or the Dawn of the Dead remake.

You can survive, but it's a b*tch. You need guns, weapons, shelter. Probably smarts and a plan too.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Saw the first episode finally. It's a semi-promising start, but it's too early to tell if it'll be all that good or not.

They were smart enough to cast Kim Dickens, the memorable lady detective from Gone Girl, in a lead role. If the show is largely centered around her going forward, that'll be a huge plus. She should be the 'Rick' of the show, if anything.

Have mixed feelings about the junkie teenager and his 'too cool for school' sister. They're okay, but I'm not that interested in them so far. Feels like they were cast just to grab the youth demographic. The writers are also trying too hard in all the obvious ways to make them compelling ("he's into HEROIN!" "she's in an INTERRACIAL RELATIONSHIP and has the icy coolness of a snarky 30 YEAR OLD!"). Eck.

But I do like that the writers seem to be doing a slow build here, which is actually a GOOD thing for once, The feeling of unease, the slowly escalating panic, the feeling that civilization is creeping along towards total breakdown... that all kinda happened too fast with the original series. Being able to take your time (though hopefully in an interesting way) is the ace in the hole that TV has over movies. So I hope they draw all that stuff out a bit here, if they can do it effectively.

As George Romero once said, "Fast zombies suck." I actually don't completely agree with him there, they do work sometimes, but fast societal collapses kinda suck. You sort of want to see the unravelling in real-time, not 'casual afternoon at Starbucks' one minute, and then BAM!, the world goes to sh*t the next.

It has potential, but feels uneven so far. Get the feeling this show will wind up being a 6 at best on a scale of 1 to 10, but we'll see.
    I think the whole notion of society collapsing fast is that it's supposed to suggest how thin the veneer of society really is; like dogs, we're all just a couple of weeks from being feral creatures, or so the thinking of the writers seems to go.

I'm also holding off judgment, though I found it to be a very long hour for just the set-up.

Not Banned
    'Collateral'? Sorry, not up on the terms.
    Posters, advertising bits....

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    Posters, advertising bits....
    Oh. Very cool.

They fun folks to work for?

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    In the first episode, Rick gets shot and wounded and taken to the hospital; he's hurt, but the world seems fine.

He wakes up out of his coma, and the world has gone to total sh*t.

From his perspective, it's pretty freakin' sudden. And since he's the main character, especially early on, it's fast for we the viewer too.
    Fair enough. I didn't get that feel from it though, the idea that he'd been in a coma while the sh!t hit the fan was okay with me without actually vicariously sitting at his bedside for that timeframe.

It can work out. Watch something like 28 Days Later or the Dawn of the Dead remake.
    Not a fan of 28 Days Later. The super-sprinter ant swarm zombie thing just didn't work for me. The fast but not superhuman fast zombies in Zombieland didn't bother me, I can live with the idea that they can still run, but the 28 Days zombies were just too over the top for me to buy into.

Edit: It occurred to me that I may be thinking of the wrong movie... I've seen 28 Days Later but I can't remember if that was the one with the Usain Bolt ant swarm zombies or if it was another movie.
    Last edited by LWP; 08-26-2015 at 12:17 PM.
    - 10ae1203

take on me
    Fair enough. I didn't get that feel from it though, the idea that he'd been in a coma while the sh!t hit the fan was okay with me without actually vicariously sitting at his bedside for that timeframe.
    Well, if you wanted to do it differently, you wouldn't sit at his bedside through the zombie apocalypse. That wouldn't be very interesting.

You'd show it unfolding through the eyes of characters who, y'know... weren't in a coma.

Not that I'm anti-coma. You gotta get yer rest.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Well, if you wanted to do it differently, you wouldn't sit at his bedside through the zombie apocalypse. That wouldn't be very interesting.

You'd show it unfolding through the eyes of characters who, y'know... weren't in a coma.

Not that I'm anti-coma. You gotta get yer rest.
    That would work but it would alter everything else in the intro episode. We were learning what was going on as Rick learned about it. Would have taken any surprise or suspense out of it if we already knew.
    - 10ae1203

take on me
    That would work but it would alter everything else in the intro episode. We were learning what was going on as Rick learned about it. Would have taken any surprise or suspense out of it if we already knew.
    Yup. So if you don't want it to be a sudden shock but rather to see it unfolding in real-time, you'd have to completely change that pilot episode, and the way the writers were attacking the problem of introducing the zombie apocalypse.

I dunno... my take on it is we've already seen it introduced in the 'shock' way. Now, in the new series, let's see it unfold the other way. More slowly, more nuanced, more detailed, more a feeling of impending dread. I think they can tell some different and really compelling stories that way, if they're clued in.

But if it's just, "Hey man, Walking Dead is totally killing it in the ratings, so let's just make a clone show set on the West Coast with a mostly younger/hipper cast, we'll rake in the dough!"... then, meh.

take on me
    Not a fan of 28 Days Later. The super-sprinter ant swarm zombie thing just didn't work for me. The fast but not superhuman fast zombies in Zombieland didn't bother me, I can live with the idea that they can still run, but the 28 Days zombies were just too over the top for me to buy into.

Edit: It occurred to me that I may be thinking of the wrong movie... I've seen 28 Days Later but I can't remember if that was the one with the Usain Bolt ant swarm zombies or if it was another movie.
    28 Days Later is 'the British one'. It's pretty good.

Maybe you're thinking of the Dawn of the Dead remake? (also pretty good). Though the zombies in that one weren't superhumanly-fast, they, like the 28 Days zombies simply could run as fast as humans.

Those two movies are the first major zombie flicks I can remember where zombies could run, so them running may've shocked the audience into thinking the zombies were super-fast.

OH WAIT... I know what you're thinking of. It was the 'meh' zombie film with Brad Pitt. World War Z.

Yeah, I didn't like that one either.

take on me

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I dunno... my take on it is we've already seen it introduced in the 'shock' way. Now, in the new series, let's see it unfold the other way. More slowly, more nuanced, more detailed, more a feeling of impending dread. I think they can tell some different and really compelling stories that way, if they're clued in.

But if it's just, "Hey man, Walking Dead is totally killing it in the ratings, so let's just make a clone show set on the West Coast with a mostly younger/hipper cast, we'll rake in the dough!"... then, meh.
    Agree 100%.
    - 10ae1203

Not Banned
    Oh. Very cool.

They fun folks to work for?
    I was twice removed from anyone involved, they were happy with what we did.

Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    I think the whole notion of society collapsing fast is that it's supposed to suggest how thin the veneer of society really is; like dogs, we're all just a couple of weeks from being feral creatures, or so the thinking of the writers seems to go.

I'm also holding off judgment, though I found it to be a very long hour for just the set-up.
    If it's the quick collapsing of a civilized society that you want there is nothing better than the Twilight Zone's "Monsters are due on Mulberry St." In less than a 1/2 hour was a brilliant and chilling episode of dog-eat-dog paranoia with just a couple of flips of a light switch. The pilot episode of "Fear . . . . " was 90 min long. That's too much of a slow burn.

Like I said before some of the logic didn't make sense. Travis, in order to score points with his future junkie stepson (and girlfriend/future wife) goes to check out the stepsons story about what happened in the church. Does Travis go in the day time? No way! What's so creepy about that! He waits till it's dark so he can use a flashlight like Scully & Mullder in the "X-Files". That's creepy film making 101 right there! After Travis sees evidence of a blood bath does he go to the police? No. He goes home and prepares a lesson for his High School English Lit class about Jack London's theme of "Nature always wins". He then tells his girlfriend/future wife and they both go check out the church at night (naturally) and both of them still don't go to the police. I digress.

I do think, like Sys says, the show is pandering to a different demographic. Don't forget the neglected son (with giant chip on his shoulder) to go along with the cool sister, the brother junkie and (I bet) computer nerd kid on the bus.

2nd episode

Man, this show is going downhill pretty fast. With all this talk of the producers starting off slowly to establish a starting point of the zombie apocolyspe is one giant fail. So far I can't identify nor sympathize with any of the characters. They are behaving stupidly. C'mon . . . using a scrub brush to clean vomit on wooden floors! Sheer stupidity!

Seriously, I'm not feeling it with these characters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    Man, this show is going downhill pretty fast. With all this talk of the producers starting off slowly to establish a starting point of the zombie apocolyspe is one giant fail. So far I can't identify nor sympathize with any of the characters. They are behaving stupidly. C'mon . . . using a scrub brush to clean vomit on wooden floors! Sheer stupidity!

Seriously, I'm not feeling it with these characters.
    Lol, I thought I was being overly critical when I saw that, but I guess not! During the tight shot I was like "Jeez, she's really scrubbing that floor", only to see that it was wood flooring as they pulled out and I was like "Dafuq?".

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    How about the mom cleaning the blood off the jacket with her bare hands. Come on... you think there's some deadly zombie virus going around and you're going to touch blood with your bare hands?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    All that work by the kid to go get canned food at the school and they leave it all behind? Fine if they were on the run, but they bonked the principal and walked out like the end of a regular school day.

I want to like the show, but there are some silly choices being made.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    There are some silly things that made me say "really?" but there are also some things where we have to keep in mind that, in regards to the zombie situation, we already know a lot more than they do.
    - 10ae1203

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast