Thread: first time

Frog Whisperer

first time

I was walking through the woods at 6:30 this morning and this song came up on my mp3 player. It was the first time I had heard it since I lost my dog last summer.
    I sat on a stump and cried.

my two oldest grand daughters are coming over today (6 and 3 yrs old) and I had planned on having them help me spread her ashes in the woods. That isn't going to happen.....

Hiatt is an incredible story teller.

Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

half-fast
    I'm not going to listen to the song.

We lost a dog about a year and a half ago, and it was tougher than I though it was going to be. He was a good old dude, and his brother wanders around here sad sometimes too.

Ain't much like the love of a good dog.

Keep on keepin on.

Master debator.
    It sux, sorry. Our house isn't the same without our Shepherd Jacques being here (we lost him 11 days ago) and our other Shepherd Sophia has metastatic mammary cancer spread to her lungs that will kill her in a few months and nothing can be done. She doesn't understand why we love her up so much lately. Even sadder is Jacques best buddy Maverick our lab walking around the house looking for him, he'll sit and stare at where his bed used to be. Maybe even sadder is that the wife isn't even looking for another dog, Jacques was her baby.

Sorry man I am going to go through pictures today I'm having a stuffed animal made for the wife, supposedly they can make them look more or less like your dog.

Edit: the song that gets us is Home by Daughtry, don't even listen to it and think about your dog if you don't want to start blubbering.

"I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Frog Whisperer
    Yeah I thought about you when I was sitting on the stump. Almost didn't post as a result.

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Sweet Potato Kugel
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    If grief for a pet has a silver lining, I think itís that grief is clean. When our cat died, I thought my head would explode from the pain of it. She was entirely true to her sweet self right up to her last breath. When I miss her now, I donít feel greedy or self-indulgent, just sad within the best part of me. It hurts to remember, but at the same time I know our friendship was genuine and was good for both parties. In it there were no shortcomings, no disappointments, nor any trace of evil. I canít often say that of things in life.
    Last edited by bobf; 03-04-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Misfit Toy
    After Chloe died, I decided to bury her ashes, and my first corgi Rikki's ashes in the backyard, and plant a weeping cherry tree. Took me awhile, lots of tears and bubble snots....but I'm glad I did it. The tree is thriving, Ruby is helping to fill the void. You will know when the time is right to spread Lace's ashes. Maybe you need to include a rotten pumpkin? (I remember everything!!!!)
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    After Chloe died, I decided to bury her ashes, and my first corgi Rikki's ashes in the backyard, and plant a weeping cherry tree. Took me awhile, lots of tears and bubble snots....but I'm glad I did it. The tree is thriving, Ruby is helping to fill the void. You will know when the time is right to spread Lace's ashes. Maybe you need to include a rotten pumpkin? (I remember everything!!!!)
    Indeed....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobf View Post
    If grief for a pet has a silver lining, I think itís that grief is clean. When our cat died, I thought my head would explode from the pain of it. She was entirely true to her sweet self right up to her last breath. When I miss her now, I donít feel greedy or self-indulgent, just sad within the best part of me. It hurts to remember, but at the same time I know our friendship was genuine and was good for both parties. In it there were no shortcomings, no disappointments, nor any trace of evil. I canít often say that of things in life.
    This. I've never heard it better stated.

We lost our wonderful old kittygirl Belle in early February. Her ashes are in a box on the cabinet before me this very moment. We still have the ashes of some of her predecessors as well, and have decided to commit them all to the garden in the spring. It's time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRogers View Post
    This. I've never heard it better stated.

We lost our wonderful old kittygirl Belle in early February. Her ashes are in a box on the cabinet before me this very moment. We still have the ashes of some of her predecessors as well, and have decided to commit them all to the garden in the spring. It's time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My cat is coming up on 18 sometime this spring (she lost her birth certificate.) John is severely allergic and iffy about her at first, now he's her favorite human and he's besotten with her (putting treats on him while he napped was helpful.) He's getting weekly shots again.

Anyway. Her kidneys are on a slow decline and the vet says to keep bringing her in to check bloodwork. John claims this is "the last cat you'll ever have" but I suspect he's a cat person now. Here's a photo of her lounging on the jacket he left on the floor for her yesterday.

Name:  0305181426.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  39.0 KB

I think Belle and the others will love being in the garden, especially in the spring!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    John claims this is "the last cat you'll ever have" but I suspect he's a cat person now.
    Once you've been pinned under a sleeping cat you can never go back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    I haven't been around this forum long, but know that I'm truly sorry for all of your losses. I have a GSP and she is my baby. A couple winters ago she ran off and got lost. It was the worst three days I have ever experienced; I was a wreck. I was able to find her, but it let me know just how much my dogs and family mean to me, and how much I had taken them for granted up to that point. I don't look forward to the day when I have to let go of Liza. She is 6, so hopefully I have a few years yet. Keep your head up, and take solace in the memories of all the great times you were able to have!