Dr. Buzz Killington

First Time Craigslist Sale: Advice Please

This is my first instance selling anything on Craigslist, and I have listed a set of four Michelin PS3 Sport summer tires for $400. They have 85% of the original tread left, and to buy them new is most cheaply found at Tire Rack for $262 apiece, so I think I'm offering a steal for these. I indicated in my listing that I will accept cash or a certified check as payment, and any shipping will incur an additional cost. I got a text from 443-687-9483 earlier (somewhere in the Baltimore, MD area; I live in Saratoga County, NY), and this is how the conversation has gone so far:

Him: Do you have this item for sale****>>4 Michelin PS3 Sport 235/40ZR18 Tires Only 5800 Miles - $400 ?
    Me: Yes.
    Him: HI, thanks for the quick response, can you assure me it's in good condition ??, I need you to understand that I am willing and ready to purchase it right away, put it off the AD site, consider me as your favorite buyer, i will include the shipping cost of $150 because i want it shipped to my friend via USPS as a gift, get back to me with your PayPal email address so i can send the money now. I would have paid by cash but not in state right now, Kindy
    Me: Unfortunately, I am not accepting Paypal. I will accept a certified check since the money is already valid with one of those.

I haven't gotten a reply back yet, but I'm thinking this guy is just trying to scam me. However, I have no experience with this, and Google hasn't given me conclusive evidence either for or against it, so I'm wondering what you guys think.

We have met the enemy...
    Scam!

Run, don't walk away.

Any of these that involve shipping, taking the item off the market etc, etc. are almost certainly a scam.

They probably have a jacked Paypal account, which is why they are offering that form of payment.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Scam for sure. Never ship anything sold on CL.

Life Coach
    This is why all my sales on CL are cash and carry but I would say...

Thanks again for your interest. Please accept the terms of the sale by paying via certified check or cash. If you choose to pay by certified check, once the check clears (usually 1 business day) I will ship them to any address you would like. If the funds do not clear the item will not ship.
    2013 Felt Z85 ~ Mavic Kysrium Elite S

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    ........ I'm thinking this guy is just trying to scam me.
    Good thinking!

Beetpull DeLite
    CL = cash only.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't accept cashiers check --- too many counterfeits. I've sold quite a few things on the list, some high priced bikes all with good results. I even shipped items I had listed, a Lynskey frameset, mountain bike, commercial telephone system, nib hiking boots. I always ask for a phone number and talk with the buyer to get a sense of who they are. For me, its cash if it's local or paypal if I'm shipping
    If you focus on the past, you will never see the future.

Every day I wake up is a good day!

"I don't need another bike"
    - Anonymous

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Quote Originally Posted by onlineflyer View Post
    Don't accept cashiers check --- too many counterfeits. I've sold quite a few things on the list, some high priced bikes all with good results. I even shipped items I had listed, a Lynskey frameset, mountain bike, commercial telephone system, nib hiking boots. I always ask for a phone number and talk with the buyer to get a sense of who they are. For me, its cash if it's local or paypal if I'm shipping
    Well, to ensure that my end is covered, I'd wait until the cashiers check cleared and was officially usable money in my bank account before shipping the item.

Ricardo Cabeza
    why not?
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member

Re: First Time Craigslist Sale: Advice Please

I've done lots of CL. As other said. CASH ONLY.

End of story.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Take only cash. At my business we have had cashier's checks come back as bad after a week or two. I have no idea how that is possible, but we were on the hook for $5-6K.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    We had a rash of counterfit cash being passed around here.

Master debator.
    Responses like the one you received aren't even worth replying to, probably not even worth reporting the email address but you could try.
    It's too bad craiglist is so rife with those scams, it ruins an otherwise good thing.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Responses like the one you received aren't even worth replying to, probably not even worth reporting the email address but you could try.
    It's too bad craiglist is so rife with those scams, it ruins an otherwise good thing.
    Actually, I have his phone number vice his email. I specifically mentioned in my listing that I won't reply to emails since they can be sent by bots. Text messages can be as well, but it's far less rampant.

Pencil of death
    Who ships used tires to someone as a gift?
    Hey little bro, happy birthday. Here are some used tires I've never seen?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you on experience." (Twain)

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

"Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

Great. Jock sniffing is now foreign policy analysis. Awesome.

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
    Who ships used tires to someone as a gift?
    Hey little bro, happy birthday. Here are some used tires I've never seen?
    I can see the plausibility of this since these tires are really expensive brand new. They're $262 each at Tire Rack, and that's because they're Z-rated, low-profile summer tires by Michelin. Why Ford put them on a Focus is a mystery to me since the regular Focus can't do 150 mph which is what makes a Z rating useful.

Too slow to be smart
    Sep 2012
    Only do CL transactions late at night in a dimly lit parking lot.

Buuuuuuuuut fo realzies, the last time I sold something of value on CL I did it in the parking lot of a police station with Popo walking around and counted that cash money several times before allowing the buyer to leave.
    ”Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong” - Unknown

PIITWhat?
    Tell him you'll do trades for up-front nudie pics of his wife/girlfriend. Or both, together.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    why not?
    This I agree with--I have purchased from CL, paid with Paypal and had an item shipped--a nice bike stand.

But it takes some massaging of the seller to convince him that it is not a scam; usually exchange of phone numbers and a chat will do it. I've emailed a couple of folks with bikes for sale, and tried to arrange shipping and have not been successful.

I have yet to ship anything that I've advertised on CL--it's all been too heavy/low value...
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

Pencil of death
    I can see the plausibility of this since these tires are really expensive brand new. They're $262 each at Tire Rack, and that's because they're Z-rated, low-profile summer tires by Michelin. Why Ford put them on a Focus is a mystery to me since the regular Focus can't do 150 mph which is what makes a Z rating useful.
    The weird part is not wanting to verify their condition.
    I would expect a legit buyer to say like 'what kind of condition, can you send me some pics, etc....'

It just feels weird.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you on experience." (Twain)

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

"Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

Great. Jock sniffing is now foreign policy analysis. Awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    i think it's funny that the opening line for most scammers is so generic. they're almost always a 'cut and paste' response. you would think that something like, "hey, those tires still for sale?" wouldn't be so difficult unless first replies are all automated.

i may have posted this here before, but it's a good read about scamming the scammer.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by run23 View Post
    i think it's funny that the opening line for most scammers is so generic. they're almost always a 'cut and paste' response. you would think that something like, "hey, those tires still for sale?" wouldn't be so difficult unless first replies are all automated.

i may have posted this here before, but it's a good read about scamming the scammer.
    I was on the floor the first time I read that--maybe because you posted it

Non non normal
    Actually, I have his phone number vice his email. I specifically mentioned in my listing that I won't reply to emails since they can be sent by bots. Text messages can be as well, but it's far less rampant.
    That number is baltimore and is VOip
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    That number is baltimore and is VOip
    Google Voice?

Frog Whisperer
    I dunno, a friend of mine in Boston saw a Campy 9 speed cassette listed locally (new) for 35 bucks, he told me and i asked if he coulf grab it for me and I'd send him a check right away and get it from him this summer at Booty. He spoke to the guy and arranged for me to paypal the guy and have him ship it too me.....got it 3 days later, for 45 bucks!(10 bucks for shipping and handling) I'd do it again.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......