take on me

Florida Lowngers... Y'all Okay?

Wow... can't believe I'm posting a SECOND major hurricane thread in the space of just two weeks...

How's it goin' there in the Sunshine State? Are you evacuating, tryin' to ride it out, praying, what?

I wish you much luck. Irma is one of the most powerful Atlantic hurricanes ever recorded (tied for second all-time in wind speeds), will hit the Keys as a Category 5. If it makes landfall in Southern Florida (which is likely), it'll be as a Category 4.

Makes the earthquakes and big wildfires we have out here in California actually seem not all that bad, somehow.

Stay safe, Floridians. Irma's a royal b!tch.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

take on me
    Latest is that Irma has shifted slightly westward, and is going to pummel the entire Florida West Coast.

Isn't that where MB1 lives?

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Down here in Miami and looks like we are going to be ok. Its just barely raining right now and minimal winds. Worst will be TS weather, I hope!
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY View Post
    Down here in Miami and looks like we are going to be ok. Its just barely raining right now and minimal winds. Worst will be TS weather, I hope!
    I wish you luck, DB. But Irma's a pretty massive storm... apparently, hurricane-force winds out to 70 miles from its center, and tropical storm winds out to 195 miles.

IOW, it can miss you by a fair bit and still rough you up. Hope it wanders westward a bit more. But then I guess it's the Florida Panhandle that gets clobbered? Yeesh.

On the plus side, I hear Florida building codes are better than they used to be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    I wish you luck, DB. But Irma's a pretty massive storm... apparently, hurricane-force winds out to 70 miles from its center, and tropical storm winds out to 195 miles.

IOW, it can miss you by a fair bit and still rough you up. Hope it wanders westward a bit more. But then I guess it's the Florida Panhandle that gets clobbered? Yeesh.

On the plus side, I hear Florida building codes are better than they used to be.
    Yes, our codes are the country's strongest now. I live in basically a bunker and have impact windows. House is also 14ft above sea level.

We are getting outer bands now and if the forecast is correct, we will have no more than 75mph winds.

I went through Hurricane Andrew, so I am well aware of what can and will happen.

Looks I am safe, but The Keys and west coast of FL will be the worst hit
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    good luck Floridians !

take on me
    Pray for Tampa. And Western Florida in general.

I'm not even that religious, but... yeah. Pray.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    CNN was filming a reporter in Miami Beach about 30 minutes ago and two people rode by on their MTBs. The reporter was bracing against a rail and had trouble standing and was totally dumbfounded. Those riders get the HTFU award of the day, and maybe a Darwin Award as well. Stay safe Floridian!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Can't decide if I should play OBJ.

In Vero Beach, East coast central. We are in good shape, but these outer bands are spinning up tornadoes like crazy. I've never seen so many tornadoes. We're looking at tropical storm force winds with cat 1 or 2 gusts. Neighbors tree blew over. Papa Johns will not deliver. Something about curfews and high winds. Horrible part is a bunch of friends evacuated to the Tampa area a couple of days ago and couldn't get back.

Fingers crossed

I'm going to bench Odell and play Stefon Diggs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    CNN was filming a reporter in Miami Beach about 30 minutes ago and two people rode by on their MTBs. The reporter was bracing against a rail and had trouble standing and was totally dumbfounded. Those riders get the HTFU award of the day, and maybe a Darwin Award as well. Stay safe Floridian!
    And here is the video

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gûl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    A few years ago a guy was kite surfing on Ft Lauderdale beach in conditions like today. He flew about 50' up, over the beach, over A1A and into a building. I pretty sure the moreon lived

take on me
    CNN was filming a reporter in Miami Beach about 30 minutes ago and two people rode by on their MTBs. The reporter was bracing against a rail and had trouble standing and was totally dumbfounded. Those riders get the HTFU award of the day, and maybe a Darwin Award as well. Stay safe Floridians!
    MTB riders: "Hurricane tailwinds!?! HOLD MAH BEER and WATCH THIS!!"

I guess Fark is right... Florida really is weird.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    And here is the video

tiny lady obviously.. probably sub100 lbs.

ruins her journalistic sensationalism for sure.

looked like the second guy was on a road bike..

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    Or, Irma... Florida’s catheter.

Something more than a few folks down there should be familiar with...
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

take on me
    How's everyone holdin' up?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am fine. Power came back on at 11:45 pm. Still no cable internet.
    I have to clean my pool and neighborhood. Tree damage is near catastrophic here in the Gables and it will never look the same. But hey, better than a direct hit.
    House, home, cars, bikes and FAMILY all safe.
    DIRT BOY

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have to clean my pool and neighborhood. Tree damage is near catastrophic here in the Gables and it will never look the same. But hey, better than a direct hit.
    Glad to hear that! Hopefully your neighbours have all stayed safe too.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

take on me

Glad to hear it, DB. Feels like both Miami and Tampa dodged a big bullet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ahh that video is classic!! Not a bad advertisement for the benefits of cycling- gas shortage??

I guess they officially have to deem it "stupid" so the moreons aren't encouraged, but those guys are moving.