Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Front page news: Cyclists break speed limit

This ran in today's Daily News, which is getting more and more like a tabloid each day.

Pedestrians rarely pay attention to lights or anything else as they check their cellphones and listen to music. Many have stepped in front of me just as the light was turning green, and they have to pause halfway across and look at the DON'T WALK sign before it registers.

Pretty aggrivating article, with only a tiny bit at the end about the cyclist's point of view.

Le Misérable
    That's lame.

Getting flashed by a speed camera is a mark of honor over here. They just put one in on a downhill slope by my house, a 50-km/h zone, that I can set off pretty easily. It's really cool in the dark.

This guy's made himself famous doing it:

C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    you never "put your head down" while riding.
    Not banned yet.

Call me a Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    This ran in today's Daily News, which is getting more and more like a tabloid each day.

Pedestrians rarely pay attention to lights or anything else as they check their cellphones and listen to music. Many have stepped in front of me just as the light was turning green, and they have to pause halfway across and look at the DON'T WALK sign before it registers.

Pretty aggrivating article, with only a tiny bit at the end about the cyclist's point of view.
    I seems, from the article, that none of the cyclists exceeded the speed limit by more than 5 MPH. That's not exactly a threat to humanity.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Proud luddite
    They're getting all worked up about the one cyclist who was riding at 30 mph in a 25 mph zone? Hell, around here if a car stayed at 30 mph it would be considered a slowpoke! So the other 15 cyclists must have been in the range of 26 mph - 29 mph, again, not exactly breaking the sound barrier in a 25 mph zone. Seems like there are bigger fish to fry than this little smelt.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    According to the woman in the video... after surveying 100 cyclists, 4 were over the speed limit. The fastest going 28mph. Wow, sounds like a pandemic!
    Not a single cop was in sight to enforce the two-wheeling scofflaws. And there were no signs posting the speed limit.
    I'd be interested to see the speeds surveyed of 100 automobiles. I bet more than 4% would be speeding. And I bet more than 3mph over the limit.

is super good looking.
    BICYCLE PHOBIA? Immediate Expert Help for Bicycle Phobia - Cyclophobia

"And its the same with bicycle phobia. Sometimes just a passing thought of bicycles can set off a panic attack."

"Bicycle Phobia Risk Factors & Causes
    • People with a general tendency towards fear and anxiety
    • People characterized as ‘high strung’
    • People suffering from adrenal insufficiency"

The cure for these things seems to be "Ride a bike".

I drank what?

Don't let Bloomberg find out, he'll start banning bikes from the park.
    q_and_a - "I don't really have an appropriate response for this situation" so you'll have to wait 30 seconds for a reply

RoadBikeReview Member
    Honestly, I lost count of how many times I've read about getting rid of "menaces on wheels."

waterproof*
    Daily News, which is getting more and more like a tabloid each day..
    "Getting" ????? Has been for years, you mean.

It's funny to see conversations like this, hear bikers whining about "cars do it too" and so forth... that's all true but irrelevant.

- We are a highly visible minority, therefore every tiny infraction is magnified
    - We routinely commit the cardinal sin of slowing other people down. In America nothing is valued more than speed and convenience (immediate gratification).
    - We tend to be fitter and remind the barely-ambulatory fatass people that they are fat slobs, again poking directly at their sense of self worth and core identity.

I don't know the solution, beyond "get more people riding more" but the naivete of cyclists does concern me.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Typical lazy journalism: create an imaginary threat, reporter takes action on it i.e. has on-camera interview with traffic cop or city councillor, gets commitment that something will be done, reporter looks like hero for saving everyone from rampaging bicycle riders.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's not like I ever though the Daily News was some kind of Pulitzer-worthy publication; figured it was a small step above the Post, which apparently it is not.

Must've been written to elicit a passionate debate. There was an article last week that was so blatantly ridiculous, it seemed designed merely to anger the readers.

From now on, I'll stick with the free real estate listings as lunchtime reading.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    From the article:

"Not a single cop was in sight to enforce the two-wheeling scofflaws. And there were no signs posting the speed limit."

The cops have learned not to ticket so-called speeding cyclists after last years series of incidents where they were radar gunning cyclists for speeding when, as the article pointed out, there's no posted speed limit. If I recall, Bloomberg had the some of the cops make household visits to personally apologize to those cyclists that got bogus tickets. So now the DN claims they're speeding based on what ?. In theory the parks department has a speed limit, just doesn't tell anyone ?.

" Park strollers said they live in constant fear of getting clobbered and griped that cyclists don’t give a hoot about them."

The photo's show the cyclists on the road. Are the "park strollers" now complaining that they they can't stroll on the road without fear of getting hit ?. Would they try this on the Harlem River Drive ?. The roads are for cycling and activities other then walking. The paths are for walking. How friggin hard is this ?. Possibly when they choose to "stroll" across the road, they might want to watch that it's clear to do so ?.

Cheese is my copilot
    In the immortal words of Mojo Nixon: "GET OUTTA MY WAY!!!"
    Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you want to take danger off the road, then take the cars off, give more room to cyclists. Looking at deaths per car vs deaths per bike it's laughably obvious who should get more respect.

I just can't get past how this became front page news.

Le Misérable
    If you want to take danger off the road, then take the cars off, give more room to cyclists. Looking at deaths per car vs deaths per bike it's laughably obvious who should get more respect.

Low death count in Syria that day??
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

is super good looking.
    "This just in: Not paying attention to your surroundings may now cause minor or even sever injury. We will explain why at 11."

"OH NO I HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION NOW!?"

There was a time when not paying attention got you eaten, I guess we evolved out of that need and our brains have decided that paying attention to stuff just isn't worth the extra food consumption necessary.

waterproof*
    Methinks you nailed it in your earlier post: websites have learned that they get big pageview numbers by pressing the outrage button.

Take a scan of HuffPo / Drudge / any of a dozen other sites ... many of these are now using algorithms that test alternative headlines to see which version gets the most clicks.

Unsurprisingly, it's the controversial stuff that works best. That, and sex.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Maximum Gluteus
    T'was ever thus: that article could have been written in 1895. Cyclists have been the target of both the press and the pulpit since the first wheelman (or wheelwoman) saw city streets or parks as Grand Places To Ride, much to the chagrin of the inattentive, the slow, and the easily scandalized. No need to get one's bloomers in a wad.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front page news: Cyclists break speed limit-thescorcher-450x576.jpg   Front page news: Cyclists break speed limit-100001468_bloomer_bicycle.jpg  
    Last edited by Gregory Taylor; 08-10-2012 at 01:18 PM.
    Yet another cycling blog...updated whenever.
    http://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com

We inched our way up the mountain, kilometer markers passing like kidney stones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Whippersnappers on wheels I tell ya. Plus ca change.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    What is the recommendation for clocking your speed? Do people actually do this? Can't remember the last time I saw a bike with a speedometer (gps not counted).
    If I'm on a bike, I want to go as fast as I can for as long as I can, and if I break the speed limit, that's an accomplishment, not a misdemeanor.
    Would they ticket Usain Bolt?

Amazed at how one-sided this article is. Number of pedestrians hit by bikes: pretty damn few relative to population. Number of bikes hit by cars: significantly greater!

The simplest solution: bike paths. Pedestrians stay off the bike paths, and there will be no further issues.

Maximum Gluteus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gank View Post
    The simplest solution: bike paths. Pedestrians stay off the bike paths, and there will be no further issues.
    Good Lord, no. Bike Paths = Bike Ghetto. Give people a sidewalk; bikes belong on the road.
    Yet another cycling blog...updated whenever.
    http://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com

We inched our way up the mountain, kilometer markers passing like kidney stones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Good Lord, no. Bike Paths = Bike Ghetto. Give people a sidewalk; bikes belong on the road.
    That too. I was referring to the separate "lane" for bikes on the same paved roads, not a winding single-lane path through nowhere. The article mentions where pedestrians were in "the middle of the road" where they ought to not be. Make it a felony for pedestrians to wander into the bike path / lane / whatever you call it in your part of the world, and let the speed limit be damned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    "Getting" ????? Has been for years, you mean.

It's funny to see conversations like this, hear bikers whining about "cars do it too" and so forth... that's all true but irrelevant.

- We are a highly visible minority, therefore every tiny infraction is magnified
    - We routinely commit the cardinal sin of slowing other people down. In America nothing is valued more than speed and convenience (immediate gratification).
    - We tend to be fitter and remind the barely-ambulatory fatass people that they are fat slobs, again poking directly at their sense of self worth and core identity.

I don't know the solution, beyond "get more people riding more" but the naivete of cyclists does concern me.
    And we wear weird s**t when we ride.

$6 a gallon gas is another solution.

Not a climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Gank View Post
    Wrong, people will call them 'multi-use trails', start walking on them, then complain that cyclists are riding too fast on the trail. People *****ing and complaining will quickly ruin the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast