Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full at last

Frog Whisperer

Full at last

I have the woodshed full, At least 7 full cords, all oak, elm and cherry. I could get 2 more stacks in it but I think I am done for the season. Hopefully it is enough for next winter. Full at last-imgp9768.jpgFull at last-imgp9767.jpg
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    That's a heap load of wood. Go ahead and take a break.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    That's a heap load of wood. Go ahead and take a break.
    Hopefully it is next winters worth!

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

( ͡į ͜ʖ ͡į)
    Lucky! You got a splitter! When we were younger, my grandpa would make us kids split all the wood.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like splitting wood. Got some done yesterday. Had to stop at a large round that wouldn't cooperate. Turns out there's a technique: Chop off closer to the side (parallel) rather than the bottom. Continue around spiral-like.

Not familiar with the technical terms. Anyway I enjoy it.

Now, why does red oak smell like cat pee??

Boobies!
    Mahvelous!
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    I like splitting wood. Got some done yesterday. Had to stop at a large round that wouldn't cooperate. Turns out there's a technique: Chop off closer to the side (parallel) rather than the bottom. Continue around spiral-like.

Not familiar with the technical terms. Anyway I enjoy it.

Now, why does red oak smell like cat pee??
    I have cut, split, stacked and burned 6 or 7 full cords per year for 33 years now. I have the technique down For the most part, a tree splits easier from the bottom up (unless it doesn't). Some wood does not split... Period, white elm is one (piss-elm). It smells like urine! (hence the common name, piss elm). Fortunately, I can burn am eight inch diameter (or square) chunk, three at a time. The technique you refer to I call "peeling like an onion". The stuff I split last week (red oak), the rounds were too big for me to lift by hand, a 24 inch round, 18 inches long weighs about 140 pounds. I weigh 126. I split them i to manageable pieces with a maul and wedges. I have a good hydraulic splitter but I have come across enough that are just not splitable.

Most oak splits better green but I don't cut live trees unless I have to. It also splits better at sub zero temperatures.

Oh, and I cam easily tell you what any of the trees in our are by the smell of the wood.

Red oak smells like red oak, I was splitting some red elm yesterday and it smelled of alcohol, apparently it was fermenting.

Just for grins, I looked on Craigslist today and was shocked that a cord of wood sells for $225!, if I had to buy wood LP would be cheaper and a HELL OF A LOT LESS WORK!

Frog Whisperer
    One small bucket load this morning before the ground warmed up and got soft. Pretty sure it was close to 1500 pounds

Yes I'm sure, that doesn't mean I'm right.

Master debator.
    Used to cut and split and stack for money as a teenager, I really don't miss them days. We still use fuel oil, I like watching the truck fill it up while I'm sipping a cup of coffee inside and warm. As soon as the furnace dies we'll replace it but not until then, I can't wait to get that tank out of the basement.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    With the spring that we've been having I'd say that the woodshed only looks full.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's a lot of work that you managed to put in that woodshed.
    Too old to ride plastic

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    That's a lot of wood you're packin' ToG...
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    With the spring that we've been having I'd say that the woodshed only looks full.
    yeah there is that! I am still burning wood.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Our wood is coming in the next couple of weeks but thankfully only 6 cords, not 7.

The advantage of splitting your own wood besides the obvious health reasons, is you get the sizes you want.

Elm is the devil of wood. Every once in a while it wins against my husband when he's trying to split it and it gets thrown off into the woods out of anger, lol.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    Our wood is coming in the next couple of weeks but thankfully only 6 cords, not 7.

The advantage of splitting your own wood besides the obvious health reasons, is you get the sizes you want.

Elm is the devil of wood. Every once in a while it wins against my husband when he's trying to split it and it gets thrown off into the woods out of anger, lol.
    White elm or red? Red is MUCH easier but I remember those days, pounding 4 wedges into the round and still not having it broken in half! AND do you use hydraulic? Even with a power splitter there is PLENTY of exercise involved. Saturday night I was too tired to drink a beer!

What the what???
    I remember hedge apple being the hardest to split when I was a kid. The grain twists so mauls and wedges basically had to cut all the way through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Saturday night I was too tired to drink a beer!
    Sacrilege!
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I remember hedge apple being the hardest to split when I was a kid. The grain twists so mauls and wedges basically had to cut all the way through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    yeah, that is what piss elm does! If it has to be split, I don't want it

RoadBikeReview Member
    White elm or red? Red is MUCH easier but I remember those days, pounding 4 wedges into the round and still not having it broken in half! AND do you use hydraulic? Even with a power splitter there is PLENTY of exercise involved. Saturday night I was too tired to drink a beer!
    Not sure what species it is. All I know is that it is twisted & stringy when he tries to split it.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Just for grins, I looked on Craigslist today and was shocked that a cord of wood sells for $225!, if I had to buy wood LP would be cheaper and a HELL OF A LOT LESS WORK!
    That's about the going rate for it here too - and you're lucky if you can get pine for that price instead of cottonwood. Add the $80/yr insurance premium for having a woodstove - it absolutely isn't cost effective to burn wood if you have NG heat.

When we rented our drafty apartment with baseboard electric we heated exclusively with wood. Now that we have our house with NG the fireplace is mostly used for ambiance unless it's in the single digits or below. In that case I like using the fireplace to keep the forced air fan from cycling on/off all night.

Stumpcake!
    TOG's got wood! hehehehe!
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem."

Seat's not level
    Looks like you are all set for a cool summer...
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    That's about the going rate for it here too - and you're lucky if you can get pine for that price instead of cottonwood. Add the $80/yr insurance premium for having a woodstove - it absolutely isn't cost effective to burn wood if you have NG heat.

When we rented our drafty apartment with baseboard electric we heated exclusively with wood. Now that we have our house with NG the fireplace is mostly used for ambiance unless it's in the single digits or below. In that case I like using the fireplace to keep the forced air fan from cycling on/off all night.
    I wouldn't burn cottonwood or pine for that matter..I pretty much only burn oak, red elm, cherry and ironwood (eastern hop-hornbeam). Ironwood is so hard it sinks in water!!!!! I love the stuff SLOW, SLOW SLOW growing. a 12 inch diameter tree is HUGE around here. they generally get to about 6 to 8 inches then get choked out by the rest of the big trees.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Iíve been busy cleaning up the wreckage from our March snowstorms. Not a lot of firewood but Iíve been giving this little beastie a workout. Plus the path to the chicken house has a fresh surface of new wood chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRogers View Post
    Iíve been busy cleaning up the wreckage from our March snowstorms. Not a lot of firewood but Iíve been giving this little beastie a workout. Plus the path to the chicken house has a fresh surface of new wood chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've got the same chipper--or perhaps I should say "had" the same chipper.

I was having trouble getting it to run--and now the big pine that came down clipped it and smooshed the bottom axle/wheel. I may just haul it out to the curb and be done with it.

I wish we had a decent small motor guy around here--we had one, but he went broke--and the guy that is still in business may know what he is doing, but he hires feckless teenagers to do the work for him, and stuff comes back unfixed... I found a good guy in NJ, and he went out of business too...
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast