Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Galaxy Tab 2

  1. #1
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,811

    Galaxy Tab 2

    anyone have one?....review?.....gps software?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  2. #2
    Failboat Captian
    Reputation: JohnnyTooBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,579
    Nope. Got a Galaxy 8.9 last Fall and love it. But only use it on WiFi in the house, so no GPS.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

    Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

  3. #3
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,811
    the Tab2 has a gps radio built in so...they say with the right app....and storage, it works under open sky!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lotophage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,713
    Just a category review- if you've got a laptop and a smartphone, tablets are overkill. If you've got a desktop and a regular phone, tablets are great.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

  5. #5
    What did you say? Huh?
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    anyone have one?....review?.....gps software?
    If it is Android, you're limited to Google Maps and Navtec etc...the catch being you need a wireless internet connection as mapsets are not stored locally. I have yet to hear of an app that lets you use a lcally stored mapset for GPS navigation.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

  6. #6
    I like waterboarding...
    Reputation: mymilkexpired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    If it is Android, you're limited to Google Maps and Navtec etc...the catch being you need a wireless internet connection as mapsets are not stored locally. I have yet to hear of an app that lets you use a lcally stored mapset for GPS navigation.
    GoogleMaps caches map tiles locally if you perform the map & routing prior to loss of the WIFI connection. So not entirely true.
    .......__o
    .......\ <,
    ....( )/ ( )

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lotophage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,713
    Quote Originally Posted by mymilkexpired View Post
    GoogleMaps caches map tiles locally if you perform the map & routing prior to loss of the WIFI connection. So not entirely true.
    Also, being limited to GoogleMaps is akin to being limited to Di2... GoogleMaps is pretty freaking awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

  8. #8
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,811
    I have a laptop and a stupid phone.....and an mp3 player, and a garmin Etrex-legend hCX
    so if I had a tablet on the dash of my car acting as a gps, player and internet (with wi-fi) I could get rid of a LOT of wires...LOL
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  9. #9
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage View Post
    Also, being limited to GoogleMaps is akin to being limited to Di2... GoogleMaps is pretty freaking awesome.
    so what are you saying...if your battery goes dead you are effed?....lol
    Navtec's maps are real good too....that's what garmin uses
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  10. #10
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,811
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTooBad View Post
    Nope. Got a Galaxy 8.9 last Fall and love it. But only use it on WiFi in the house, so no GPS.
    and yeah...I don't need gps in the house either.....I never get lost....i forget what i was doing plenty, but i never get lost...
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  11. #11
    Seat's not level
    Reputation: Chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    18,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I have a laptop and a stupid phone.....and an mp3 player, and a garmin Etrex-legend hCX
    so if I had a tablet on the dash of my car acting as a gps, player and internet (with wi-fi) I could get rid of a LOT of wires...LOL
    and just possibly big enough to see it without your reading glasses.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

    He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

  12. #12
    waterproof*
    Reputation: Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    40,948
    I'm working on a stem/bar mount for a tablet.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

  13. #13
    What did you say? Huh?
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    I'm working on a stem/bar mount for a tablet.
    Duct tape.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    747
    The 10" version is a little big to use mounted in the car as a GPS (IMO), the 7" Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus or Tab 2 are about the largest size I would use. My 7.0 Plus works great with a suction mount and car power adapter. I use CoPilot GPS software ($20 US) which has the complete US and Canadian map set on the device. I have a WiFi only (no cell service) version and find this GPS software to be vastly superior to anything I've ever used out of Garmin. It doesn't have the data base of Google, but is also not dependent on a cell data connection to view maps, a MAJOR limitation of Google maps in area's with sketchy cell service.

    I also like the 7" form factor better as a book reader, but that's very much a personal choice.

    The newer Tab 2 7" version has Ice Cream Sandwich OS (What a stupid name !), with the older Tab 7.0 Plus due to upgrade this summer. You might find the 7.0 plus well discounted to $250 or so.

  15. #15
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    and just possibly big enough to see it without your reading glasses.
    everyone likes a nice ass......no one likes a smart ass.....lol
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  16. #16
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    The 10" version is a little big to use mounted in the car as a GPS (IMO), the 7" Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus or Tab 2 are about the largest size I would use. My 7.0 Plus works great with a suction mount and car power adapter. I use CoPilot GPS software ($20 US) which has the complete US and Canadian map set on the device. I have a WiFi only (no cell service) version and find this GPS software to be vastly superior to anything I've ever used out of Garmin. It doesn't have the data base of Google, but is also not dependent on a cell data connection to view maps, a MAJOR limitation of Google maps in area's with sketchy cell service.

    I also like the 7" form factor better as a book reader, but that's very much a personal choice.

    The newer Tab 2 7" version has Ice Cream Sandwich OS (What a stupid name !), with the older Tab 7.0 Plus due to upgrade this summer. You might find the 7.0 plus well discounted to $250 or so.

    ok.....this was what I was looking for......thanks...btw the tab2 7" is 249$ now
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  17. #17
    Not a climber
    Reputation: dcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    961
    I have a nice small laptop and always have a fancy Android phone, so I felt no need for a tablet. I got a Kindle Fire for christmas because I wanted to pick up on reading mainly. It was a bargain at $200 and perfect for reading. The only other tablets I considered were the Samsung and Toshiba, but they were both over $400 for a 7" model. Basically if the Tab was $250 at that time, I would have bought it. I'd say its a damn bargain for all the features you're getting.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Mufasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    100
    I have the Tab 7 and love it. Love my Samsung phone too. Love the Android!

  19. #19
    Rep *****.
    Reputation: firstrax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    9,852
    I'm holding out for a Nokia tablet.
    Tags: Truckstop Honeys, Becky Beadle, Subaru, 12" stroke, The moon, 10 grams, Beet Smoothie
    <--It aint gonna rep itself. Hit me

  20. #20
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,811
    ordered
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  21. #21
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,811
    Got it
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  22. #22
    We have met the enemy...
    Reputation: paredown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Got it
    And?
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

    (Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

  23. #23
    Misfit Toy
    Reputation: snapdragen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,146
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    And?
    Give him time, you know how us old folks are with newfangled things.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

    Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

  24. #24
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,811
    sorry kids....been trying to get it setup and configured...LOL...that last post was sent from it...
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  25. #25
    Rep *****.
    Reputation: firstrax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    9,852
    Now that you a a magical black board do some Phineas J Whoopie impersonations.
    Tags: Truckstop Honeys, Becky Beadle, Subaru, 12" stroke, The moon, 10 grams, Beet Smoothie
    <--It aint gonna rep itself. Hit me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

EUROBIKE

Hot Deals

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook