Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1819202122 ... LastLast
    Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    I'm not so sure on your first sentence there. When we see the White Walkers come into existence, then a few minutes later, Bran is there walking among the flanks of the WW's, the main leader of the WW's grabs Bran's arm. Bran's arm still bears that mark when it flashes forward back to current time. That also has the effect of breakign the protective magic that was placed on the cave that they were all staying in.

Again, I may be reading way too far into things, but Bran's time travel can apparently alter the present tense in very tangible ways.
    But that's just it... Bran didn't do anything, the Night King did. The NK can affect Bran when he's time-seeing.

But I have to admit, while that is a bad example, the whole thing with Hodor was very odd. Bran did seem to traumatize Hodor mentally in the past, 'creating' the Hodor we knew and loved but who also was obviously impaired.

Hodor may be an exception though, since Bran can 'wargh' into Hodor in the present, and was controlling him in the present as the same time as he was time-seeing.

Yeah, it's a bit complicated. Would be nice if GRRM just finished the latest book already.
    Last edited by SystemShock; 07-10-2016 at 02:27 AM.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    The last couple of episodes of this season were intense... And the stuff that is about to happen next year is gonna be super exciting. So hard to write anything about this show without spoiling it for someone. All I am going to say, the scene with the dogs in the second to last episode was very satisfying

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Would be nice if GRRM just finished the latest book already.
    He's dead, isn't he?

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by jesssiii View Post
    [GRRM's] dead, isn't he?
    Nope. He's not a Stark.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Nope. He's not a Stark.
    Or Robert Jordan...
    All the gear and no idea

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Because Fan Expo nerds are awesome...

Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    We have the free HBO trial until this month is up. My co-worker has been pestering me to watch one of the HBO series...es. I put GoT on and "watch" while I'm surfing the 'net in the evenings, so I'm not giving it my full attention.

So far, it strikes me as a Renaissance-fair soap opera. Every couple of minutes, a woman is naked for no apparent reason, unless she's screwing a guy in order to, oh I dunno, tie him up and collect his blood using leeches or something.

Or, there's a party with a drunk little person and a pregnant woman getting stabbed, starting a brawl. Or a woman in a tub is visited by a machete-wielding stranger who presents her with two severed heads, asks if she's impressed, and she doesn't flinch. (Apparently, this impresses her.)

You literally forget you're watching a fantasy series at times

When the pregnant woman was asked if she was having a boy or a girl, it took me right out of whatever era they're in. They might as well have Tweeted about what a great wedding banquet they were at before the stabbing/brawl.

My co-worker says I can't appreciate any of this since I don't know the back story.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    We have the free HBO trial until this month is up. My co-worker has been pestering me to watch one of the HBO series...es. I put GoT on and "watch" while I'm surfing the 'net in the evenings, so I'm not giving it my full attention.

So far, it strikes me as a Renaissance-fair soap opera. Every couple of minutes, a woman is naked for no apparent reason, unless she's screwing a guy in order to, oh I dunno, tie him up and collect his blood using leeches or something.

Or, there's a party with a drunk little person and a pregnant woman getting stabbed, starting a brawl. Or a woman in a tub is visited by a machete-wielding stranger who presents her with two severed heads, asks if she's impressed, and she doesn't flinch. (Apparently, this impresses her.)

When the pregnant woman was asked if she was having a boy or a girl, it took me right out of whatever era they're in. They might as well have Tweeted about what a great wedding banquet they were at before the stabbing/brawl.

My co-worker says I can't appreciate any of this since I don't know the back story.
    You're not incorrect... but it's still pretty good despite all that. Not as good as the books, but it'll do because he's never going to finish the books anyway at the pace he's going. One every 10 or 15 years whether we're ready for another one that soon or not.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I's definitely a love/hate thing, i think if you don't get it or not into that sort of thing you'll never like it (obviously). I enjoy it, but then I started reading the books back in the 90's, but it's not perfect. But I do think it's the best fantasy book - visual media so far.
    All the gear and no idea

Fake President

You pretty much have to start with Season 1, Ep 1, or you'll be lost.

I'd check out at least the first season... one of the best of the series if not THE best, IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    ^oh! not starting at season 1... well there you go...
    All the gear and no idea

What the Hell is going on

Essentially, you're assessment is correct. A costume soap opera. "The Walking Dead" has more adult themes. Also, both shows have zombies, so there's that.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Fake President
    Just announced... new season doesn't start 'til July 16... i.e., three months later than usual.

Think GRRM can get the Winds of Winter book out by then?

lol, no, me neither.

gazing from the shadows
    Just announced... new season doesn't start 'til July 16... i.e., three months later than usual.
    Yeah, long wait.

You might consider starting a fresh thread then, with a link to this one.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Then only 6 episodes right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by L_Johnny View Post
    Then only 6 episodes right?
    I think they said seven?

The shorter season and the delay are both, I think, in order to ratchet up the production values even higher. They want to go out with a bang in their final two seasons, and make every single ep 'special'.

Which I dig, but the delay sucks.

But eh, it's okay. Twin Peaks Season 3 comes out in May, and it's an 18 ep season.

That'll tide me over 'til July.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Are we ready???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by L_Johnny View Post
    Are we ready???
    GRRM ain't. He still hasn't finished Winds of Winter, lol.

But this should be good.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    GRRM ain't. He still hasn't finished Winds of Winter, lol.

But this should be good.
    I'm not convinced he ever will... and I'm not sure I even care anymore.
    - 10ae1203

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    I'm not convinced he ever will... and I'm not sure I even care anymore.
    Yup, at this point, I'm just concerned that he might not get it out before he passes away.

IF and when he finally does release it, it'll be the biggest book in, well, ages.

I don't think even the renowned Harry-Potter-book-release-mania will quite match it, onna account of the verrrrrry long times between book releases with GRRM. And, of course, the TV show running concurrently.

Speaking of which.... T-minus six days and counting...

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Yup, at this point, I'm just concerned that he might not get it out before he passes away.

IF and when he finally does release it, it'll be the biggest book in, well, ages.

I don't think even the renowned Harry-Potter-book-release-mania will quite match it, onna account of the verrrrrry long times between book releases with GRRM. And, of course, the TV show running concurrently.

Speaking of which.... T-minus six days and counting...
    I've wondered if the opposite might happen. If the show might end before he gets it done and a large percentage of people who may have bought the book just because they like the show will no longer care. I'm thinking too much more delay might hurt sales more than help. I was a fan of the books before the show existed and I'm not even all that excited about the book getting done anymore. The delay has just been ridiculous.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    ^that
    I was a fan of the books when they first came out, when I first watched the show, didn't know what it was, but I'm think wow all this seems very familiar...holy crap, this is song of fire and ice! But still haven't read any of the new ones... I thought WOT was bad for long times between books (and Robert Jordan managed to die in the process), but this is just ridiculous.
    Although it' be the first time, if the book comes out after, that people will be able to "I didn't expect that" and it's be true. (talking about those people that claim to be super duper fans but don't have a clue whats about to happen even though it was written 10 years ago in the books)
    All the gear and no idea

What the Hell is going on
    Just saw the 1st episode of the 7th season. What I miss?
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    Just saw the 1st episode of the 7th season. What I miss?
    If you saw it, then nothing, I'd think.

And, it was pretty good. But, with the kind of pacing that they'll be having through these two final shortened seasons, that shouldn't be hard.

No more 'nothing-burger' slow-paced 'holding pattern' eps for this show, unless they're crazy/mis-execute something fierce.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    I've wondered if the opposite might happen. If the show might end before he gets it done and a large percentage of people who may have bought the book just because they like the show will no longer care. I'm thinking too much more delay might hurt sales more than help. I was a fan of the books before the show existed and I'm not even all that excited about the book getting done anymore. The delay has just been ridiculous.
    As karmically just as it might be for Winds of Winter to flop or semi-flop, given the excruciatingly long wait while GRRM went and did other projects and the worldwide party circuit (in effect)... no, I don't think so.

When it gets released, I think we all will be shocked at the pandemonium.

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1819202122 ... LastLast