Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Fake President
    Awesome post, and rep'd.

/did I mention awesome post is awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post
    oh hai, GoT lovers (and others); some clarification. A good friend and drinking buddy of ours just happens to be GRRM's niece and personal assistant. When she's in Boulder hanging out with the Chaos clan, and not in Santa Fe running herd on her uncle, we get some insights. Things like:

-- HBO was going to cut the big "epic" Battle of the Blackwater entirely in S2, leaving it all to exposition / offscreen, and just have a small fight scene at the Mud Gate. Reason? $$$$. You simply cannot compare the budget for a FEATURE LENGTH MOVIE (LoTR) to a single TV show episode. You just can't. Fortunately the producer (same guy btw who did armor and costume / character art for LoTR) said "you simply cannot get away with that, you HAVE to have a naval battle, it's what hinges the plot, etc or else the readers and critics alike will effing crucify you" -- so HBO caved in and gave them an INSANE amount of budget for just those five minutes of film. I wonder how many armchair producers out there actually understand how freaking expensive it is to shoot (of all things) a NAVAL battle on film. it's OMGWTFBBQ expensive, that's what. There's a reason nobody in Hollywood ever wants to do it. So ok yea they cut it down from like 30 hulks filled with wildfire to just one, and skipped the chain boom and a lot of other things, but by buddha, we got our naval battle scene, with some freaky big assplosions, probably over the dead bodies of a fair number of Hollywood bean counters, btw.

-- GRRM himself is not actually a paedophile, pederast, or whatever else you're thinking. I've met him in person, he's a pretty normal mild mannered beardy pedantic beer drinking dude who likes to fiddle around in the garden and has a couple of cats and a really cool wife who's also an artist. Thing is, the guy is highly educated in medieval history, which is where you get all the marriages and fooling around and suchlike between tweens. Those 14th century folk married their girl kids off ultra, ultra young - a noble daughter was a liability the longer she remained unmarried, as her only value was in her "purity" (nttawwt) hence she had to be essentially sold off before she was "spoiled"; otherwise she was shipped off to a convent. That was a basic fact, and they didn't view it as creepy; it was purely good sense. And in fact, GRRM worked with the HBO crew to intentionally "age" the child characters out by several years in some cases just so the modern sensibilities of the viewers weren't squicked out by this. You see it in Sansa's scenes - a girl was considered marriagable the moment she "flowered" (had her first period), which happens generally between the ages of 11 to 13. Ew, right? Well yea, but they didn't have the Pill back in the day, so they had to get her knocked up by a legitimately wealthy husband before the baker's boy got at her.

-- GoT itself is generally based on the War of the Roses, with a little bit of dragons-and-zombies-oh-my thrown in for spice. That's deliberate. GRRM wanted to base the skeleton of his plot on something realistic, and so you'll see quite a few similarities between the Lannisters (in GoT) and the Lancasters (War of the Roses), the Starks (GoT) vs. the Yorks (WotR) and so on. Later on as the series continues if you're well versed in theological history, you'll also see some parallel references to some of the more militant Christian sects (no spoilers) and Middle Eastern religious cults as well.

-- GRRM wrote GoT in part as a mental break to get AWAY from the limitations of screenwriting. He has frequently gone on record saying it is "unfilmable" in its raw state, as he never actually intended it to become a screenplay, much less a TV series. That it is, is a testament to his skill. He does much of the backstage script consulting, and has committed to writing the screenplays to at least 1 to 2 episodes per season.

-- Because of this, A Game of Thrones (the TV series) and A Song of Ice and Fire (the book series) will have to diverge somewhat in structure, pacing, content, etc. This is intentional, and GRRM is probably the best person to manage it gracefully, seeing as his first and most successful career is as a screenwriter for series TV romance / fiction. Central plots and themes will remain, and I highly doubt you'll see characters survive that were killed off in the books, etc. (meaning, nothing major will change) but in the end the 2 will have to be separate stand alone entities, owing to the limitations of series TV media, the psychology of subjecting viewers to such a convoluted set of plot/characters, budgets, etc. You've already seen this in small ways with things like Roose Bolton being substituted for Tywin Lannister at Harrenhal, Asha Greyjoy's name being changed to Yara (to avoid confusion with Osha the Wilding), etc.

last and most interestingly, our friend Raya (George's niece) has long suspected that Arya is an anagram of her own name. The character definitely fits. She is a fairly successful artist and comic book illustrator IRL, besides PAing for her uncle as a day job.

The More You Know (TM)
    Last edited by SystemShock; 06-05-2012 at 02:01 AM.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ARE. View Post
    I'd have been more interested in name dropping stories if they included you using the opportunity (upon meeting GRRM) to jolt him in the kidney with a tazer and telling him to get a move on with the books....
    er, the absolute last thing I would ever do is hassle GRRM about something as trivial as book release timing. I mean, you may have been kidding but your tone does not indicate it. do you honestly have any clue how much of that runny shite he has to put up with from the Internet Dork Squad?

another favorite fantasy author of mine (Patrick Rothfuss) made a germane and witty comic a couple of years ago about how dealing with all the hateful email asshattery under the subject line "d00d srsly your such a f'n slacker make with the writing already lolz!!111" makes him want to kick puppies, but I can't seem to pinpoint it on his blog. Rest assured it was swearily hilarious and to the point.

you know what, nevermind. we plan to take the Martins some Avery beer next time we visit the Santa Fe branch of the Chaos clan this coming October. It's the least I can do to make up for all the BS they get to put up with from the general public now that GRRM has become relatively famous.

//edit - did not find the Rothfuss comic but instead will refer you to Neil Gaiman's awesome, pertinent blog post on the topic of Reader Entitlement Issues.
    Last edited by lonefrontranger; 06-07-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: link added
    Grandpa LFR: "Kid, don't wrestle with pigs; you'll just get covered in crap, and the pig enjoys it."

/Grandpa LFR

A whole beans kind of guy
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post
    er, the absolute last thing I would ever do is hassle GRRM about something as trivial as book release timing. I mean, you may have been kidding but your tone does not indicate it. do you honestly have any clue how much of that runny shite he has to put up with from the Internet Dork Squad?

//edit - did not find the Rothfuss comic but instead will refer you to Neil Gaiman's awesome, pertinent blog post on the topic of Reader Entitlement Issues.
    Yes, I seriously thought you should tazer the guy in the kidney...

Actually, I've read Gaiman's take on it and I agree with him. Thanks for saving me the trouble of looking it up to post the link. That said, 15+ years after reading the first one, I am looking forward to him getting around to the end.

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post
    better get a crib sheet of characters.
    and a black marker to cross them off. it gets confusing.
    funny you should mention that, there's some Spanish guy from one of the Westeros boards who apparently has compiled an exhaustively researched wiki/db/glossary of ASoIaF characters, relationships, terminology/language, place names, maps, etcetera and it seems GRRM now uses it as a resource himself rather than his own notes.
    Grandpa LFR: "Kid, don't wrestle with pigs; you'll just get covered in crap, and the pig enjoys it."

/Grandpa LFR

Fake President
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Fake President
    Season 3 in T-minus two days, and counting....

Last edited by SystemShock; 03-29-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Moderatus Puisne
    one of the shows I'd actually pay to watch!

#takemymoneyhbo

Great White North
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius View Post
    one of the shows I'd actually pay to watch!

#takemymoneyhbo
    HBO to go rules.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good, eh!

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by ARE. View Post
    Yes, I seriously thought you should tazer the guy in the kidney...

Actually, I've read Gaiman's take on it and I agree with him. Thanks for saving me the trouble of looking it up to post the link.

That said, 15+ years after reading the first one, I am looking forward to him getting around to the end.
    To be fair, the series will be, what, 6,000 to 7,000 pages or so by the time it's completed? And it's pretty supremely complicated on top of that? I can't imagine how hard it'd be to write the ASOIAF series.

I think it's also been said that the Game of Thrones TV show could get 9 or 10 seasons of material out of the books, i.e. 80 hours of actual run-time.

What did that slacker Tolkein ever do? LOTR was only like 1,500 pages, zomg!!

(yes, that's me joking. I dig Tolkein.)

Sculpture on 2 wheels
    Oh boy,

Mini GOT party here.. Snacks, Booze, Couch, Friends..
    Yep we're nurds over here & we lv it)

Let's see who gets dead first out the blocks..

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I have seasons 1 and 2 on a memory stick. I've been meaning to get around to watching them before season 3 started. Somehow, I just never got around to it. I can't (I guess "won't" would be more accurate) marathon 20 episodes before tomorrow night so I guess I'll be watching the first couple of episodes or so behind the curve until I get the other seasons watched and catch up.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    I have seasons 1 and 2 on a memory stick. I've been meaning to get around to watching them before season 3 started. Somehow, I just never got around to it. I can't (I guess "won't" would be more accurate) marathon 20 episodes before tomorrow night so I guess I'll be watching the first couple of episodes or so behind the curve until I get the other seasons watched and catch up.
    Warning: It is crack addictive.

During the current re-cap they've been running on HBO, lost track of the # of times I sat down thinking, "Ahh, I'll just watch one episode", and I'd wind up watching four.

I luv riding in WA
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Warning: It is crack addictive.

During the current re-cap they've been running on HBO, lost track of the # of times I sat down thinking, "Ahh, I'll just watch one episode", and I'd wind up watching four.
    Same here, except I have S1 and S2 on my laptop. Wire that up to my TV, pour some vino, and the next thing we know it's midnight.

Fake President
    I like this:
    (and if I was GRRM, I'd be 'WTF'ing?' too)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 'Game Of Thrones' Has Belatedly Pwned Me...-game-thrones_o_707677.jpg  

Fake President
    Also like this

Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Also like this

Attachment 278172

is that pooch named Tyrion?
    It is a Schwinn. Bought it new in Sixty Two.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    I still haven't seen more than about 4 episodes...over and over...and over...and over...
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettekid View Post
    is that pooch named Tyrion?
    I think it's Aradog.

Moderatus Puisne
    I've heard that, and would love to try it. I'd be happy to sign up, but they won't let me.

#takemymoneyhbo

Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    HBO to go rules.

Plum

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I love the series desperately. Sure, I often don't know exactly who is doing what to whom at any particular time; or for that matter exactly why; but the drama still manages to be emotionally involving. The twists and turns are simultaneously surprising and logical. The actors are never less than interesting looking, and are sometimes out and out gorgeous. The sets and the overall aesthetics are sumptuous. The quality of the visuals puts most recent big screen features to shame. Pacing is deliberate but powerful. To reiterate, I love the series desperately.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

waterproof*
    Every time I see this thread title I'm reminded of Age of Empires, which I miss terribly.

* not actually a Rock Star

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Every time I see this thread title I'm reminded of Age of Empires, which I miss terribly.

Very good game, but StarCraft was even better, as RTSes go.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I love the series desperately. Sure, I often don't know exactly who is doing what to whom at any particular time; or for that matter exactly why; but the drama still manages to be emotionally involving. The twists and turns are simultaneously surprising and logical. The actors are never less than interesting looking, and are sometimes out and out gorgeous. The sets and the overall aesthetics are sumptuous. The quality of the visuals puts most recent big screen features to shame. Pacing is deliberate but powerful. To reiterate, I love the series desperately.
    It is almost too good for television, isn't it?

It's also so good (and at times, complex) that some of its subtleties escape me at times.

First time I saw Season 2, I thought, "Wow, this is pretty darn good, but not quite as good as Season 1 somehow."

Then I saw S2 again, and picked up on a whole bunch of little things I'd somehow missed the first time through. They really hadn't lost a step at all, or if they had, it was by the tiniest fraction.

off the back
    This guy was hilarious in the Blackwater Bay episode. Someone. TV Guide or something, listed him as one of the best tv moments ofthe season.

Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

Fake President
    Pretty darn good season premiere.

One of my few complaints about S2 was how the Jon Snow and Daenrys plotlines didn't seem to progress very much until very late in the season. Now it seems like they're focussing on those two a lot more, and I love it.

And the dragons are startin' to grow, yo.

Was glad to see Bronn in this episode, when he was a no-show for the S2 finale I was worried he was gone. He and Tyrion have great dialogue together.

Margaery Tyrell is shaping up to be a much more interesting character than I thought. Long live the future Queen. Oh... and she's hawt.

Loved that Sir Barristan is in the mix, and as a Queen's Guard for Daenrys, no less. He was a minor character up to this point, but had presence. And apparently there's no better swordsman in the Seven Kingdoms.

I dig how the Wildlings beyond the Wall actually have the most advanced political system (democracy) in the world, yet everyone thinks of them as barbarians.

Can't really find a thing to fault, 'cept I wish the season was longer than 10 episodes (while somehow automagically not giving up any quality, lol).

But even there they kinda got it covered, the episodes this season are supposed to be 56-57 minutes long instead of the old 52, so it's like getting one more episode.

Damb but this show works. Would really love to know how they made this whole thing click so well.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast