Page 1 of 25 123 ... LastLast
    take on me

'Game Of Thrones' Has Belatedly Pwned Me...

(no, not a reference to the after-effects of my local Mexican restaurant...)

For seemingly ages now, everyone has told me that A Game of Thrones is "ZOMG! Teh awesomes!!!", and from the look in all their eyes, I knew this was very likely true, but I had NEVER gotten around to watching it.

Then last week I finally did. Wow. Did. not. know.

FIrst off, I'm almost cryin' because I was only able to plow through Season 1... no S2 for me until I either get an HBO sub or decide to be a bastid and torrent it. And I hear S2 is even better than S1 in most every respect. Waah.

Forgive my johnny-come-lately-ness, but I'm surprised that there's something this good in the fantasy genre on television. Especially after Camelot went down like a ton of bricks (wotta stinker).

Sure, it's not perfect, but it's pretty darn strong, and, refreshingly, it nearly always treats the viewer like a mature, thinking adult. It's such a nice hybrid of vicious medieval court intrigue and LOTR-like fantasy elements... Shakespeare meets Tolkein... yet without the overt fantasy elements drawing attention to themselves.

You literally forget you're watching a fantasy series at times. Clever.

My only problems with it initially were

1) the sprawling plot and tons and tons of characters and locations, you kinda need a scorecard to keep everything straight if you have not read the books (but it all falls into place over time), and

2) early on, it feels like there aren't a lot of sympathetic characters to root for (it took me awhile to warm up to Ned Stark), but that too fades over time... I now really dig Arya, Rob, Lady Stark, John Snow, and even Daenerys, who seems fated to cause a ton of problems and ultimately be a tragic character.

And of course, everyone loves Peter Dinklage as the imp who's a pimp.

(surprisingly, he's 4'5" in real life... on the show, they make it seem like he's three feet tall or something. The 'half man' is actually three-quarters of a man, not that it matters)

Of course, you can not only root for characters but against 'em, and AGOT has so many ppl you do want to see get run through the heart or chopped up into tiny pieces, beginning with King Joffrey, or most any Lannister, really.

I guess a third problem I have though is that Season 1, good as it is, wound up feeling like extended set-up for Season 2... nothing really gets resolved, and so many machinations are set in motion. I guess that's a real problem with having these uber-short ten episode seasons.

On the plus side, it helps them keep the quality up, but geezus... even The Sopranos had mostly 13-episode seasons. Perhaps the expense of the show (epic scale, and significant special effects) plays a role in that... word is HBO spends $50-60 million a season on AGOT. They're 'all in', which is great.

I also liked how they were willing to kill off their ostensible 'main character' Lord Stark in episode 9... can't take a thing for granted going forward.

Yeah, I'm a johnny-come-lately, but a thankful one. Now, how to get my hands on S2...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 'Game Of Thrones' Has Belatedly Pwned Me...-tyrion-pimp.jpg  
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Sculpture on 2 wheels
    Welcom aboard! It's bees knees fer sure...

RoadBikeReview Member
    the books are better

also, every though you hate the lannisters, tyrion and jamie end up being my favorites.

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by PlasticMotif View Post
    also, every though you hate the lannisters, tyrion and jamie end up being my favorites.
    Of course, Tyrion gets a pass on being a Lannister. Duh.

Jamie, I dunno. Pushing little boys out of tower windows whilst incestually boning his sister is a real image problem, at least as of end of S1.

He becomes teh awesome anti-hero in S2? Hmm. I'm skeptical, but we'll see.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

A whole beans kind of guy
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post

Jamie, I dunno. Pushing little boys out of tower windows whilst incestually boning his sister is a real image problem, at least as of end of S1.

Haven't read the books, huh? Once you do, you'll learn that every character is disposable, the story is never about who you thought it was, and every character you love or hate you end up hating or loving, respectively.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARE. View Post
    Haven't read the books, huh? Once you do, you'll learn that every character is disposable, the story is never about who you thought it was, and every character you love or hate you end up hating or loving, respectively.
    except for cersei.

take on me
    Started the first book already, thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Now, how to get my hands on S2....
    Here you go.

Watch Game of Thrones online (TV Show) - on 1Channel | LetMeWatchThis

off the back

No, he doesn't. But he has a great dialogue with his cousin in season 2 that has you actually liking him. At least for a little while.

Jamie: "And what was his name....?"
    Cat Stark: "Brienne!!!!"
    Jamie: "No, that wasn't it."

I wanna see what's under that wildling girl's furs.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

take on me

your text here
    better get a crib sheet of characters.
    and a black marker to cross them off. it gets confusing.

i met the db weiss, one of the show writers, about 10 years back. it was right after lucky wander boy came out. i had picked it up in carlsbad at some cutrate book shop for like $.50. i went to a "reading" he was doing and he was surprised i had read it. i guess it was JUST out or something.

anyway, there were only about 4 other people, one of whom had self-published a book about horrow movies. they chatted a bit about it, and the guy was soliciting advice. that was kinda funny. so after that guy talked his ear off, it was amusing.
    "i really wanna do something medieval. wizards and dragons. that sorta stuff."
    i thought to myself, "good luck, freak. who read that stuff?

turns out he has also submitted scripts for enders game, halo, and a prequel to i am legend.not saying i would agree with those projects, but i thought wizards and dragons would be dorky.

when i watched party down the martin starr character reminded me of him. tall, thinner, and writing fantasy scripts.

crap. i just read he is doin a script for the remake of they live. that is something i proposed on this forum about 6 years ago.
    wtf?
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Old, slow, and fat.
    the books are better

+1

Starting out on the journey, I never woulda thought.

Ditto with Brienne.

...and Arya

I'm not sayin nuthin, but keep watching/reading. :nod

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

Old, slow, and fat.
    except for cersei.
    Can YOU say BSC?!

M

that's Bat S^&t Crazy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post
    better get a crib sheet of characters.
    and a black marker to cross them off. it gets confusing.

i met the db weiss, one of the show writers, about 10 years back. it was right after lucky wander boy came out. i had picked it up in carlsbad at some cutrate book shop for like $.50. i went to a "reading" he was doing and he was surprised i had read it. i guess it was JUST out or something.

anyway, there were only about 4 other people, one of whom had self-published a book about horrow movies. they chatted a bit about it, and the guy was soliciting advice. that was kinda funny. so after that guy talked his ear off, it was amusing.

turns out he has also submitted scripts for enders game, halo, and a prequel to i am legend.not saying i would agree with those projects, but i thought wizards and dragons would be dorky.

when i watched party down the martin starr character reminded me of him. tall, thinner, and writing fantasy scripts.

crap. i just read he is doin a script for the remake of they live. that is something i proposed on this forum about 6 years ago.
    wtf?
    Is your caps button broken?

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by MShaw View Post
    Can YOU say BSC?!

M

that's Bat S^&t Crazy.
    Yep. I'm only partway into S2, and she's really starting to creep me out already.

Even though she wasn't the one who went all King Herod on Robert's bastards.
    Last edited by SystemShock; 05-27-2012 at 04:15 PM.

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post

Yeah, wow... just more proof that you never know who's gonna hit it big. Or what genre is gonna be huge, even.

It's kinda funny in retrospect that you thought that wizards n' dragons n' magic would be dorky and flop. That was certainly true for a very long time, but then the Lord of the Rings films came out around the time you encountered Weiss, and did $3 billion in worldwide box office between 'em(!).

And the Harry Potter series of flicks started about the same time, and sealed the deal, matching LOTR's '$1 billion in WW box office per film' clip. Cha-ching!

Now fantasy and magic is a big and legit genre... it's just kinda hard to do well, that's all. But they did it. Gol-damn.

And of course, everyone's waiting for The Hobbit (Part 1) to come out this December. That'll be absolutely HUGE, if it's any good it'll probably do Deathly Hallows-type numbers, at least.

ps- But don't feel bad weltyed... I myself continue to be mystified by the enduring popularity of Will Smith. I think the guy mugs for the camera in that insipid 'I'm cool because ppl say I am' -way more than anyone since Burt Reynolds... and that's saying something. Bleah.

your text here
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    Is your caps button broken?
    caps lock and shift key work just fine. as do my punctuation keys. thanks for askin.

the p key, on the other hand...
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is a good summation. The books are teh awesome! Funny how you can hate someone then love them then feel sad when they die .............then you find out they aren't dead.....or aRe they?

Old, slow, and fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by psycleridr View Post
    This is a good summation. The books are teh awesome! Funny how you can hate someone then love them then feel sad when they die .............then you find out they aren't dead.....or aRe they?
    Now now. Don't give away ALL the plotlines!

I was disappointed after reading Dance with Dragons. I'm hoping we don't have another Wheel of Time on our hands. IOW goes round and round but doesn't really get anywhere.

M

You Phillip mah census
    I usually get bored stiff by sword & sorcery stuff, have never sat through a single LOR flick. Not getting moist about The Hobbit either. But this stuff is the bollox! Intrigue, action, dwarves with rakish humour, rakes with no humour (Jamie Lannister), Yorkshire accents (Sean Bean), Home Counties accents (his daughters..WTF??). A snivelling prince that needs slapping into eternity (Joffrey), and more boobies than Creaky's wildest dreams. It works. A friend has burned nearly all of season 2 for me and is dropping it off tomorrow. Cannot wait.

'Game Of Thrones' Has Belatedly Pwned Me...-ned.jpg
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I've tried getting into it...caught a few random episodes from Season 1. But, whenever I suggest to any of my friends that we re-watch Season 1 so I can catch up on it, they always laugh and say that re-watching will ruin it or something.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The book author, George R.R. Martin, was a script writer. I know he worked on the TV adaptation of Beauty and the Beast, not sure what else. He has another franchise series called Wild Cards that is very similar to Heroes. Given the success of GoT it wouldn't surprise me to see Wild Cards come to the screen in a few years.

Unfortunately all this extracurricular stuff has the GoT books coming out at a snail's pace.

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by ddimick View Post
    The book author, George R.R. Martin, was a script writer. I know he worked on the TV adaptation of Beauty and the Beast, not sure what else. He has another franchise series called Wild Cards that is very similar to Heroes. Given the success of GoT it wouldn't surprise me to see Wild Cards come to the screen in a few years.

Unfortunately all this extracurricular stuff has the GoT books coming out at a snail's pace.
    But he's getting away with it.

In fact, he's even being called "the American Tolkein", and by sober-minded ppl too. Pretty hard to think of higher praise than that for a writer in the fantasy genre. Except for...

...some are even saying he's "better than Tolkein". I don't know about that. Seems like that gets said of a fantasy writer every once in awhile, and it never quite winds up being true.

It's like saying there's a better running back than Jim Brown. There will never be a better running back than Jim Brown.

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    I've tried getting into it...caught a few random episodes from Season 1. But, whenever I suggest to any of my friends that we re-watch Season 1 so I can catch up on it, they always laugh and say that re-watching will ruin it or something.
    You need new friends then.

And even as a relative AGOT n00b, I can tell you that catching episodes randomly doesn't really work too well. You gotta watch 'em in order (unless you've read the books). There is SO MUCH going on, it's easy to get confused even if you ARE watching them in order.

Especially in Season 2.

Found myself the other day downloading some huge fan-created AGOT 'Speculative Map of the World', just so I could keep all the places straight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012

Use Putlocker or Sockshare, they are the best links!

I can't seem to get myself into this show. I've tried and put me to sleep within 10 mins.

You should try give Once Upon A Time a try. I don't watch a lot of tv but, this was pretty good.

Page 1 of 25 123 ... LastLast