Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frog Whisperer

gas grill experts come in "her"

ok, I am totally NOT satisfied with my Weber Spirit Stainless gas grill (LP). It flat out doesn't get hot enough, I can get my charcoal to way over 500 degrees in well less than 1/2 the time. Any of you guys ever "modded" your grills (ie reaming out the orifices?) A friend of mine did his and he says it is WAY, WAY hotter in WAY WAY less time.

(resident safety personnel need not read this, LOL )
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Feb 2005
    This thread title is titilating......

Russian Troll Farmer
    How many grease fires do you want? It's a grill, not a blast furnace. Ream those holes out, and you'll end up with heat-compromised burners that droop!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    you'll end up with heat-compromised burners that droop!
    Story of my life... Fact is that I am not the least bit interested in baking a burger, I want them seared!

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Story of my life... Fact is that I am not the least bit interested in baking a burger, I want them seared!
    The upside down broiler you are using is not going to do what you want. At least thatís my experience. I gave up on outdoor broiling years ago. I can get my grill to over 800 as others (not myself) have measured using the exact equipment and fuel. I use lump charcoal, or charwood. I have a nice old Hasty Bake from Oklahoma. It ainít cheap. I paid like $800 plus truck shipping, like another 50-75. But itís like between 22 and 25 years old. Just had dinner off it a few hours ago. Still bakes smokes and grills like a champ. Soon, sheíll just fall completely apart, but I say that every year since like 2010. No cover mind you and no special care. It does go in the barn for winter.

I decide exactly how how I want my food. Steaks black and blue? No worries. Seared perfectly and rare to a fault inside. Brisket? Spare ribs? Pulled pork? Perfect... I use pans and baking stones too... And, as a bonus, you can split some of your ample firewood reserve and use that in the event of a crisis. You (especially you) are not running out of a boiling, cooking, essential fire things source, ever. I have a pool and a Hasty Bake. 36,000 gallons of water and an infinitely sustainable outdoor range.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    The upside down broiler you are using is not going to do what you want. At least thatís my experience. I gave up on outdoor broiling years ago. I can get my grill to over 800 as others (not myself) have measured using the exact equipment and fuel. I use lump charcoal, or charwood. I have a nice old Hasty Bake from Oklahoma. It ainít cheap. I paid like $800 plus truck shipping, like another 50-75. But itís like between 22 and 25 years old. Just had dinner off it a few hours ago. Still bakes smokes and grills like a champ. Soon, sheíll just fall completely apart, but I say that every year since like 2010. No cover mind you and no special care. It does go in the barn for winter.

I decide exactly how how I want my food. Steaks black and blue? No worries. Seared perfectly and rare to a fault inside. Brisket? Spare ribs? Pulled pork? Perfect... I use pans and baking stones too... And, as a bonus, you can split some of your ample firewood reserve and use that in the event of a crisis. You (especially you) are not running out of a boiling, cooking, essential fire things source, ever. I have a pool and a Hasty Bake. 36,000 gallons of water and an infinitely sustainable outdoor range.
    Hehehehe yeah, I use mostly charcoal and wood, but everyone here says gas is faster and easier, maybe I just want that to be true? I have a CharGriller pro, with side smoker box, paid 79 plus 50 for the smoker box. Got it at least 10 maybe 12 years ago?

Btw, I can get way over 800 at the grate, more like 950 to a 1000 if i want to. (got an infrared heat gun for monitoring the wood stove, which, btw, i can get to 950 on top too!

RoadBikeReview Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master debator.
    Use 73/27 ground beef and leave the knobs on light you'll get it hot fast enough.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

gazing from the shadows
    You have a CharGriller, why bother?

If you ream out the holes, remember you will also need more air in the mix for a clean, blue burn. It's pretty easy to add an adjustable method to do this, if one does not already exist. Or if the one that exists is not big enough. But you may also need to address the regulator, depending. Tiny changes are big in effect, so don't go crazy with your first pass.

One person said drilling him a boost from 500 to 700. Other than adjusting air, no other mods. Just fyi.

Also, if you only have flavor bars (metal) the internet says you can pile lava rocks in there for more thermal mass, and get the heat a bit closer to the food.

Another option is to use it to grill vegetables, which tend to do better with a lower heat. Or as a holding grill when doing multiple things that cook at different rates. Or doing a grill full of corn to go along with things. IOW, use it for what it is good for, don't try to make it what it is not.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

welcome to the jungle
    gas grill experts come in "her"
    Best/worst thread title typo evar.

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did Ė peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    You have a CharGriller, why bother?
    because I can? LOL

my best friend is a clock maker, between he and I we have the tools to do micro-fine detail stuff, also, he used to do HVAC work

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Best/worst thread title typo evar.

that is an incorrect assumption...You ain't new here....Remember OldEndicottHighway??? All my mistakes are intentional?????

xxl
    ok, I am totally NOT satisfied with my Weber Spirit Stainless gas grill (LP). It flat out doesn't get hot enough, I can get my charcoal to way over 500 degrees in well less than 1/2 the time. Any of you guys ever "modded" your grills (ie reaming out the orifices?) A friend of mine did his and he says it is WAY, WAY hotter in WAY WAY less time.

(resident safety personnel need not read this, LOL )

^This. I have a Weber gas grill, and a similar experience.

I've heard that Weber placed the burners a bit farther from the grilling surface because its consumer research showed that the most common grilling problem reported was burnt food.

I can get an OK sear on things, if I wait long enough for the grates to heat up. I do find it supremely adjustable through its temperature range, though, and use it as an outdoor oven.

I don't know about reaming out the holes, I'd be afraid it might somehow compromise safety...but I'm kind of a chickenshit. You should go for it, what's the worst that could happen?
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    ^This. I have a Weber gas grill, and a similar experience.

I've heard that Weber placed the burners a bit farther from the grilling surface because its consumer research showed that the most common grilling problem reported was burnt food.

I can get an OK sear on things, if I wait long enough for the grates to heat up. I do find it supremely adjustable through its temperature range, though, and use it as an outdoor oven.

I don't know about reaming out the holes, I'd be afraid it might somehow compromise safety...but I'm kind of a chickenshit. You should go for it, what's the worst that could happen?
    wouldn't be the most dangerous thing I have ever done, not like gas is explosive...oh.......wait

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't think your problems are universal with gas grills. I have a relatively cheap "Landman" gas grill from Costco. I can get it over to 600 degrees in under 5 min. There's been a few grease fires

Besides reaming, perhaps there are aftermarket components offered that will do what you are looking for?

xxl
    wouldn't be the most dangerous thing I have ever done, not like gas is explosive...oh.......wait
    A question occurred to me: Have you had your grill long? Sometimes during the winter, tiny spiders will take up residence inside the burner tubes, and apparently (according to Weber, anyway) firing up the grill the following spring may not burn all their webbing away.

Grill makers will put screens around the grill parts to keep spiders out, but on mine, they were plastic, and melted away. I ended up running a French horn brush through the tubes, and that helped.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    A question occurred to me: Have you had your grill long? Sometimes during the winter, tiny spiders will take up residence inside the burner tubes, and apparently (according to Weber, anyway) firing up the grill the following spring may not burn all their webbing away.

Grill makers will put screens around the grill parts to keep spiders out, but on mine, they were plastic, and melted away. I ended up running a French horn brush through the tubes, and that helped.
    Hmmmmmmm, that might be a good idea. However, spiders don't do much outdoors in the winter in WI.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Hmmmmmmm, that might be a good idea. However, spiders don't do much outdoors in the winter in WI.
    If youíre using gas and either disconnect the LP tank, or as I do, use house gas, I tape over any point where thereís an opening that a bug can crawl into. I disconnect and shed store the grill in winter. Also tape over the supply hose fitting. These were all on the advice of the burner service guy I paid to adapt the unit to house supply. Stopped having issues after this advice.

xxl
    They don't do much outdoors in the winter in Ohio, either, but they do seem to find their way in the months before winter sets in.

I don't know enough about spiders to know how when or how long they take to set up shop (I don't grill year-round, so they'd have time at my grill), I got the idea from my Weber's manual.

Frog Whisperer
    I am giving the grill to my daughter,then it is not my problem! She and her husband want a gas grill

Win/win

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I am giving the grill to my daughter,then it is not my problem! She and her husband want a gas grill

Win/win
    I knew there was a reason to have children.

Seriously, though -- I was looking forward to hear how reaming out the holes might help. Would at least be consistent with your title. (I have a BlueStar indoor gas stove, which has differing BTU burners, partly determined by the size of the holes.)

But very seriously: why have a gas grill outdoors? What's the point?

RoadBikeReview Member

Win/win
    I think thatís a great move, I gave up on outdoor broiling over 20 years ago. I have nothing against it, but I have a broiler already and Iíd rather grill. Just tonight, my daughter asked me to make burgers. Simple enough and we havenít seen much of her since sheís been in Providence RI all summer and sheís headed back to college soon, she gets what she asks for... She said, the best burgers ever, which is why she asked for them. Couldnít be done via broiling. ~6-7 oz. 85% quality ground beef worked as little as possible, just to keep together grilled at 700/800 briefly on each side and finished closed, fire box lowered, to melt cheese and up the smoke effect. Cooked to between 150 and 160. You need to let em rest or you get burned by the explosion of hot juices on the first bite. Itís shock and awe cooking and resting to perfect. It is simple, a quintessential grilled burger. Impossible on an upside down broiler. I have used plenty of them. No dis to gas, super convenient, great for parties, easy to use... Just not what I want.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KojoAkimbo View Post
    I knew there was a reason to have children.

Seriously, though -- I was looking forward to hear how reaming out the holes might help. Would at least be consistent with your title. (I have a BlueStar indoor gas stove, which has differing BTU burners, partly determined by the size of the holes.)

Yeah, we might mod it first though.......

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    I think thatís a great move, I gave up on outdoor broiling over 20 years ago. I have nothing against it, but I have a broiler already and Iíd rather grill. Just tonight, my daughter asked me to make burgers. Simple enough and we havenít seen much of her since sheís been in Providence RI all summer and sheís headed back to college soon, she gets what she asks for... She said, the best burgers ever, which is why she asked for them. Couldnít be done via broiling. ~6-7 oz. 85% quality ground beef worked as little as possible, just to keep together grilled at 700/800 briefly on each side and finished closed, fire box lowered, to melt cheese and up the smoke effect. Cooked to between 150 and 160. You need to let em rest or you get burned by the explosion of hot juices on the first bite. Itís shock and awe cooking and resting to perfect. It is simple, a quintessential grilled burger. Impossible on an upside down broiler. I have used plenty of them. No dis to gas, super convenient, great for parties, easy to use... Just not what I want.
    That's the ticket! 700-800

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KojoAkimbo View Post
    I usually don't like to hassle with charcoal given my tendency to eat late dinners. That's why I have a gas grill in the first place.

I sure as heck don't want the smell/mess of a grill inside my house - where else would one keep a grill other than outside?

I have a small house with no AC. This used to be a non-issue in MT but our climate is changing. There are now summer days when I don't want to turn on my oven or gas range.

I can think of a few more but I'm genuinely perplexed by your question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast