Tig
    Valar Morghulis

Question Geetar playuz, question about overdrive pedals

First, where I'm at now:
    I have a basic 15 watt solid state practice amp, a few used pedals (cheap Danelectro wah-wah, a Boss phaser, and a reverb by Digitec) from the local pawn shop, and a cheesy yet well setup Epiphone Les Paul Jr. that I upgraded the bridge pickup with a Lace humbucker.

Until tax time, I'm on a tight guitar related budget. A new mid-range guitar is in the near future, and a better amp is later down the road. I haven't played in a good 20 years, and am regaining my skills at a better than expected rate.

Want/need:
    While I'd like a nice analog chorus and maybe a delay pedal, I'm needing something for some classic over-driven tube sound first. My desire is a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver pedal, and perhaps a mod to sweeten it up, like the Monte Allums H2O Mod Plus.

I'm seeking some experienced advice about overdrive pedals. I'm not looking for major distortion, but more a bluesy or classic tone. I know a better geetar with a neck pickup, plus a tube amp would get me most of the tone I seek, but I need a shortcut for now. I can certainly use the pedal later, even with some great gear.
    Last edited by Tig; 02-06-2009 at 09:22 AM.
    Many people are alive only because it's illegal to shoot them.

Climbs like a sprinter...
    Get a Line 6 amp that has all that stuff built into it.
    "It's turtles all the way down."

Shirtcocker
    Ask over at Harmony Central...people over there live for these types of questions like people do over here for bike questions.

//get a tube screamer

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Road & Trail Warrior
    Boss Turbo Overdrive
    "What is this? A center for ants?"

Tig
    Valar Morghulis
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxhacksaw
    Get a Line 6 amp that has all that stuff built into it.
    I checked out the Line 6 Spider III's. Sound pretty cool.
    Also played with the $200 Peavey VYPYR 30 and was blown away.

Either way, no pedals needed. I'd rather go without any pedals if possible.

My dream amp is a Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25, but I'll have to save up some serious kitchen passes for a $1200 amp.

Climbs like a sprinter...
    I have an Epi Les Paul and a Line 6 Spider II 75w head and 4x12 cabinet. "I like it a lot."
    "It's turtles all the way down."

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    I checked out the Line 6 Spider III's. Sound pretty cool.
    Also played with the $200 Peavey VYPYR 30 and was blown away.

Either way, no pedals needed. I'd rather go without any pedals if possible.

My dream amp is a Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25, but I'll have to save up some serious kitchen passes for a $1200 amp.
    marshall bluesbreaker? now that would break the bank.

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

dwd
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    the Digitech Bad Monkey is quite nice.

Sticky Valentine
    Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes

http://www.ehx.com/products/hot-tubes

hth

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

Resident Dutchbag
    If you're lucky it picks up radio Moscow.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    Hey Tig,

You speak mods - if you're into rolling your own, check out http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ and http://www.tonepad.com/projects.asp?projectType=fx. Lots of good info on building your own pedals. You can then tweak whatever you build to your taste.

Joe

Tig
    Valar Morghulis
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxhacksaw
    I have an Epi Les Paul and a Line 6 Spider II 75w head and 4x12 cabinet. "I like it a lot."
    I found an Epi Les Paul Studio in good shape at the pawn shop, black, about 5 years old, going for $329, but I bet I could get 'em to knock it down a bit. I got the pedals for dirt cheap.

I don't need no giant stage power. The Mesa 5:25 is a 5 watt class A, 25 watt A/B with 2 channels and an effects loop. Super versatile tube amp with plenty of volume if needed.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Ditch all the pedals and get a Digitech RP100. Innumerable effects, amp modeling, guitar modeling, etc. Of course I still sometimes break out my original Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios.

Legal Notice: General disclosure of non offensive intent.

The above internet forum poster, by and through the act of posting and participating in said forum, does hereby disclaim and disavow any offensive intent by way of written word, gesture, or emoticon and none should thus be inferred or taken.

Tig
    Valar Morghulis
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleherder
    Ditch all the pedals and get a Digitech RP100. Innumerable effects, amp modeling, guitar modeling, etc. Of course I still sometimes break out my original Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
    How nice do those sound? Not too painful to use I hope. I think they have a newer version for that model now.

I'm not too crazy about the multi-effect pod types. I see them on Craigslist all the time, like people wish they never bought it. All are obviously not created equal.

Shirtcocker
    How nice do those sound? Not too painful to use I hope. I think they have a newer version for that model now.

I'm not too crazy about the multi-effect pod types. I see them on Craigslist all the time, like people wish they never bought it. All are obviously not created equal.
    I have a Zoom effects box with drum machine and USB interface. It's fun to mess with, but to be honest, most of the effects are pretty useless.

Quiet, daddy's drinking

I bought mine back in 2000 and now there are new versions which I am sure are improved. I think it sounds pretty good and each part of each effect is modifiable so you can tweak it to your own needs. Is it the best rig in the world? No. But it's pretty damn cheap and it will take you months to run through all the combinations.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios.

Legal Notice: General disclosure of non offensive intent.

The above internet forum poster, by and through the act of posting and participating in said forum, does hereby disclaim and disavow any offensive intent by way of written word, gesture, or emoticon and none should thus be inferred or taken.

Tig
    Valar Morghulis
    Quote Originally Posted by rogger
    If you're lucky it picks up radio Moscow.
    I have Gilligan as my main radio receiver

Alien Musician
    I use a TC Electronic BLD (booster/line driver) booster.

You can't find them much anymore because Scott Ian swore by them so all the metalheads bought them up after they were discontinued. But it's a warmer sounding boost, like of like a David Gilmour bluesy-type tone.

The tube screamers are pretty popular as are the blues drivers.

For amps, get a little Vox AC15 with a booster, that would be a cool small set-up.
    Maybe a little spendy but nice.
    my music is online at aliensporebomb dot com yes indeed.
    my twitter for those bored: http://www.twitter.com/aliensporebomb

S2H
    wut?

HTH

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005

Go here and listen---

Check out proguitarshop.com. They sell effects and the site has videos where you can hear many of them. For me, it s impossible to describe the sound of effects, so go there and listen.

Buy the one that sounds good to you. My favorite is the Fullltone, but I am not high on effect overdrive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tube Screamer FTW! Hendrix, SRV, ect. nuff said

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I use a Hot Cake. Made by Crowther Audio of New Zealand.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Ibanez Tube Screamer.
    Boss Super Overdrive.
    Hot Cake.

I haven't played a Line 6 in several years, but I remember them sounding great at low volumes, but completely crapping out when you're in a band setting.

Both the Super Overdrive and the Tube Screamer -- whether tweaked or left as it is -- will easily give you a beautiful, singing, bluesy, overdriven tone. The Hot Cake has a slightly more modern sound, as it adds a bit of crazy, amp-going-bad distortion. Any of the three will light your fingers on fire.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Descender
    Oct 2005
    The Mesa Boogie unit - expensive, but great sound

Not Banned

yup

Quote Originally Posted by pdh777
    The Mesa Boogie unit - expensive, but great sound
    it is no longer made but the V-Twin is the BOMB

or a Radial ToneBone Plexitube, Blackstar HT, AMT TPL
    find one with at least 1 maybe 2 12AX7 Tubes in it. I never used a 'box' for distortion, ran a pre-amp with 4 or 6 12 AX7s, power amp was 8 6L6s and 3 12 AX7s (90 watts a side). You want leslie west, get your power amp to clip
    Nice fat, clipped sine wave only achieved by a tube pushed to its limit. CREAMY
    to ANGRY DOG CHEWING ON YOUR FOOT

I hate F'ing square wave solid state dsitortion crap.
    BS 'modeling'. 12 volt digital 'impressions'.

would I buy a bike that 'rides like a Merckx?'
    No I'd buy a Merckx, so why would I buy something that 'Sounds like Tubes'?

oh and if you are going to run digital processing, have a small mixer. Split your signal in 2, one going to the processor and your 'dry' signal staying at full voltage. (Parallel wiring)
    use the small mixer to manually mix wet and dry lines before feeding into the power amp.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering