RoadBikeReview Member

Getting your job back after a layoff

I was laid off last October with 300 other people at a wind turbine factory. It was a good high paying job and just about all of us have struggled to get by for the last year. I was lucky and found a job but I had to take a $5 an hour pay cut. Most of the people I use to work with are still unemployed. In the meeting for the layoff the directer of HR told us we were all good employees and not to take this personally. He then promised us that every last one of us would get to an offer to come back before anyone was hired off the street.

Well last week I got a letter telling me there were some jobs available and that if I wanted to come back I could go to there website and apply, so I did. A few people at my job use to work there too. The guy in the department next to mine is from the same department I use to work in. We have talked about wanting to go back lots of times. One of the kids that works in a different department came to me today and asked if I have herd from my former employer. I told him I got a letter last week and that I have applied online for my job back. He then tells me he has had 3 interviews and a team building for them. He has never worked there before. I got pissed and asked what he was dong interviewing there. He then tells me they just hired his friend and that they are looking to bring a bunch of people in. I told him he should be at the back of the line. There should be 300 people in line first. I'm pissed the jobs all have a vary vary steep learning curve and I don't understand why they wouldn't call people back that could walk in to there old jobs and start right up with no training. It takes 6 months to a year to actually know what your doing.

Banned forever.....or not
    "I was laid off last October with 300 other people at a wind turbine factory."

Boy........That really blows..

I would never go back to a job that told me to get lost....

(unless I planned to get revenge)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    The reason you and 299 of your coworkers weren't called back first is the company would likely be expected by you all to pay you the wages you were receiving at the time of your layoff. New hires could likely be paid a lower wage to start, saving the company money. It's like this very often.

What you expected to happen would have happened if you were a union shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    The reason you and 299 of your coworkers weren't called back first is the company would likely be expected by you all to pay you the wages you were receiving at the time of your layoff. New hires could likely be paid a lower wage to start, saving the company money. It's like this very often.

What you expected to happen would have happened if you were a union shop.
    The guy that's had the 3 interviews told me they are offering new people $1 more an hour then I made when I left.
    And its what I expected because it was what I was promised.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So sorry to hear this!! WTF indeed.......

I too am baffled by this behavior- my only theory is that they don't want to pay pensions.

Lost my last job due to a title cut- whoever had the same title was SOL. So why the hell did they hire a bunch of people under that title just a few years prior?? I don't get it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    So sorry to hear this!! WTF indeed.......

I too am baffled by this behavior- my only theory is that they don't want to pay pensions.

Lost my last job due to a title cut- whoever had the same title was SOL. So why the hell did they hire a bunch of people under that title just a few years prior?? I don't get it.
    Yea I don't understand why businesses do some of the tings they do. This place hired 50 people 6 months before laying us all off.

Master debator.
    I wouldn't take it personally, you're just a number. I'd try to get back considering how unhappy you are at your new job, unless I'm confusing you with another poster here?...
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I wouldn't take it personally, you're just a number. I'd try to get back considering how unhappy you are at your new job, unless I'm confusing you with another poster here?...
    No your not confusing me with another poster. The $6 more an hour, benefits and only having to work 40 hours a week is more then enough reasons to go back. It may not have been the perfect job. But the two and half years I had there were the most financially stable my life has even been. I was looking at buying a house before all the layoff talk started.

Who needs a map?
    They might be legally required to post the position openly (newspaper, internet, etc) and gave you the heads up once it was posted.
    "If we're to be honest with ourselves, achieving the end of the exercise was never the point of the exercise, was it?"
    ~Adam Savage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Are they being hired as permanent employees or only for a term?

Some places hire employees for the duration of a specific contract. i.e. we may hire ten tradespeople to make a run of x many pieces, when the run is completed they are laid off.

Depending on the length of the term, they may/may not be paid sick leave, holiday time, extended health care benefits, etc. Sometimes they are given a pay increase to offset this. They get paid more than a regular employee but receive no benefits, so they cost the employer much less.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's possible that they are hiring with the idea that the people will go when they don't need them any more. But the guy at work thinks hes going to get a permanent job. They didn't tell him any thing about it being short term.