chica cyclista
    Feb 2004

gimme some glamorous indie rock-n-roll tonight!

so, now that i've chased off the old, the tired, and any pretentious pitchfork snobs who loathe the Killers...

here's some stuff. i make no guarantees, as i never said it was *good* stuff, mind you. it's just stuff i like and listen to frequently.

um, if you're over thirty, allergic to indiepop / folk / emo and/or can't seem to switch channels from the all-springsteen-hair-metal-jethro-tull-all-the-time stoner classic rock station, you might just want to drop the mouse and back away slowly.

the dude recently turned me onto DivShare. DivShare is the dog's bollocks since it lets you stream/preview the track before you waste time downloading crap you cant stand. and, uploads dont expire like they do on yousendit, so these links'll stay around forever (or for at least as long as the RIAA doesn't nuke the site...)

and now on with the shew!

1) Funeral - Band of Horses - starting things off right, with a righteous emo anthem
    2) Melancholy - Andrei Krylov - no, he's not Segovia and not Kottke either, but he's damned good at it
    3) Roscoe - Midlake - i swear to god these kids are channelling mid 70's lindsey buckingham era fleetwood mac
    4) Bend Over Beethoven - !!! - because everyone needs some trashy club techno, even you
    5) The Things I do - Kinematic - bouncy indiepop in the vein of Spoon et. al... mebbe even old Squeeze
    6) How It Ends - DeVotchka - more emo anthem righteousness, this time from a local Denver band
    7) Energy - Apples in Stereo - did i say Denver? we just went and saw these guys live. they kicked ass.
    8) Signal Crossing - Dykehouse - oh my god it's just like heaven! serious 80's reloadage here.
    9) Monkey - Low - some dreamy apocalyptic pseudo-prog-rock sorta stuff
    10) The Diver - Gravenhurst - i have no words. just shut your eyes and listen.
    Grandpa LFR: "Kid, don't wrestle with pigs; you'll just get covered in crap, and the pig enjoys it."

/Grandpa LFR

Lets Go Hokies!!!
    hey lfr, I've been diggin all your mixes so far...even made the mistake of listening to armageddon while on a plane....just wanted to say thanks.
    Its not over till you're underground

http://hokierider.blogspot.com

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRider
    hey lfr, I've been diggin all your mixes so far...even made the mistake of listening to armageddon while on a plane....just wanted to say thanks.
    glad you liked 'em.

i have some serious earwormage that i have yet to transfer out of apple/itunes format to .mp3, at which point i may unleash it on the unsuspecting. but im lazy, so i'll get around to it *yawn*

speaking of earworms, the reason i mentioned it was that i was just on IM with the dude and the bastage sent me an old hanson tune as a joke... ergh. it's gonna take a week and six quarts of ear-bleach to get rid of that one...
    Grandpa LFR: "Kid, don't wrestle with pigs; you'll just get covered in crap, and the pig enjoys it."

/Grandpa LFR

Life Coach
    Yes, this is the LFR I loved and lost. My Sansa and I are thrilled by your return. Long may you rule.

a jumped up pantry boy
    this is neither indie nor rock, but is instead pop at its most excellent. new radicals are seriously under appreciated.

http://www.radioblogclub.com/open/11...20Get%20Enough

http://www.radioblogclub.com/open/65...we%27ll%20know
    I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker,
    And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker,
    And in short, I was afraid.

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004

agreed, very much so

Quote Originally Posted by yarble
    new radicals are seriously under appreciated.
    i have a few of their tracks, even. i think itunes had them as a free track not so long ago. i got 'you get what you give' and liked it so much (hey i have a daniel powter cd, so sue me) that i went and tracked down more of their stuff.

my mom even likes them and she hates EVERYTHING. she says they remind her of old stevie wonder (?).

/Grandpa LFR

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRider
    insanely good mixes.
    armageddon=awesome.
    the whole mix is a totally different vibe than a lot of the music i have... and its amazing. actually, the playcount on every song in armageddon is over 150...
    "It's hard to tell the poison from the cure, so enjoy the disease."
    -Mohair_Chair

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I'm loving it. Great stuff!

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004

fanx

I'm glad you liked that one - I think the reason it's different from a lot of stuff you listen to is that it's mostly faded pop/rock/club hits from my early 20s with a few similar sounding contemporary things (aka snow patrol and junior boys) that fit in with the theme. i think the general 'sound' tho is very much late 80s/early 90s-ish.

this most recent batch o' trax isn't so much a 'mix' as more of some tracks with a loosely related theme. i didn't take the time this go to sit and loop them to figure out which order they'd work best in. i think they're all tracks that stand on their own, individually.

/Grandpa LFR

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004

addenda

Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger
    i have no words. just shut your eyes and listen.
    i forgot to mention re: Gravenhurst -

Gravenhurst is the result of the band Assembly Communications imploding after one of singer/frontman Nick Talbot's bandmates was killed when he got hit by a car as he was riding his bike. the track i chose (The Diver) is from the album 'Flashlight Seasons' which was written as Talbot's way of working through the loss and grief.

/Grandpa LFR

Misfit Toy
    Thanx for the new tunes - including your past offerings. I seem to get stuck in a rut music wise, so these are great for expanding my listening pleasure!
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Have you ever heard the Klaxons?

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen
    I seem to get stuck in a rut music wise
    aye, been there myself. the wonderful thing about the internets these days is that there are so many predictive search engines (like the ones on amazon for example, tho i rarely shop there anymore) that tell you things like 'so you have this album, you should like this, this, and this.... blablabla' i find amazon's to be a little stodgy, and pandora's a little too commercial for me, frankly.

most of my really great new stuff comes from searching links on Audiri (stage.fm), predictive search engines like Liveplasma or the cnet music site Download.com. I also have RSS feeds to sites like Pitchfork and a few techno blogs a friend in the UK recommended.

most of this interconnectedness, i'm not ashamed to say, has been at the hands of the college students i work with and coach, plus a lot of my friends from the Denver Cruise are in the 21-30 demographic. i see two or three live shows a month courtesy of their input, and live music, imo, is the best way to stay connected.

/Grandpa LFR

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004

heard OF them yes, heard them no

Quote Originally Posted by filtersweep
    Have you ever heard the Klaxons?
    yes, everyone's raving about them being the next great thing on the british subpop / raver / party scene. didn't pitchfork just do a feature on them?

i have plenty of LCD Soundsystem and several tracks from The Faint, and some Bloc Party so I'd probably enjoy some of their stuff. have you heard I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness?

/Grandpa LFR

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I have no idea what sort of exposure they are getting in the US media-- but I really don't see them as a "raver" band, and their lyrics are far too interesting. We have several networks that show videos for a few hours each day-- like regular networks. One is like a public TV network where people vote for songs via SMS-- and it exposes me to all sorts of interesting music.

Have you heard My Midnight Creeps: Don't Let Them Bring You Down?

Superfamily- Radio

The Bravery- Honest Mistake

All That and a Bag of Chips- Take Me to Your Leader

I'll have to check you I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness....

yes, everyone's raving about them being the next great thing on the british subpop / raver / party scene. didn't pitchfork just do a feature on them?

i have plenty of LCD Soundsystem and several tracks from The Faint, and some Bloc Party so I'd probably enjoy some of their stuff. have you heard I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness?

tofurkey hunting
    good mix, but rather than straight up emo, i'd say band of horses are much more channeling an alt-country vibe........at least all the reverb, lap steel, and beards seem to say so (ime, of course).....none of it quite hit me til i saw them.....

the midlake album took a while to grow on me. nothing quite had the umph of roscoe...but now i'm really diging the lp.

i've also been stuck on beirut lately.....postcards from italy is one of the best songs i've ever heard.

after seeing elvis perkins open for clap your hands....i'm a fan. i think he's an american damien rice....you may like.

good stuff lfr

//off to check out a few of those i hadn't heard....
    i know i painted you a prettier picture, baby...my fiction beats the hell out of my truth

a jumped up pantry boy
    youre welcome:

listen to hey ya from these guys- http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=11779404

this is for all the people feelin sexy out in cyber space - http://www.radioblogclub.com/open/13...odbye%20Horses

this video is not work safe, child safe, or elderly safe.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXTtqX_IusE
    I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker,
    And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker,
    And in short, I was afraid.

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ampastoral
    rather than straight up emo, i'd say band of horses are much more channeling an alt-country vibe
    well... i think its possibly that i grew up in the midwest and was weaned on real, old-fashioned bluegrass arlo guthrie style, but i categorically loathe the 'alt-country' pigeonhole and the fact that Every. Steenkin. Band. out of southern ohio, northern ky or southeastern indiana gets stuck in it, whether or not it applies (see: Margot & The Nuclear So & Sos; they're about as country as a crosstown bus)

that plus i personally think the beard thing is a fad. almost every white suburban hipster male under the age of 25 who has rejected gangsta rap and the SoCal ricer culture is growing a big fat Iron & Wine style beard and learning pedal / lap steel and/or the violin, and most of them are about as 'from the country' as your local starbucks.

/Grandpa LFR

tofurkey hunting
    well... i think its possibly that i grew up in the midwest and was weaned on real, old-fashioned bluegrass arlo guthrie style, but i categorically loathe the 'alt-country' pigeonhole and the fact that Every. Steenkin. Band. out of southern ohio, northern ky or southeastern indiana gets stuck in it, whether or not it applies (see: Margot & The Nuclear So & Sos; they're about as country as a crosstown bus)

that plus i personally think the beard thing is a fad. almost every white suburban hipster male under the age of 25 who has rejected gangsta rap and the SoCal ricer culture is growing a big fat Iron & Wine style beard and learning pedal / lap steel and/or the violin, and most of them are about as 'from the country' as your local starbucks.
    yeah, but like i said...musically, the alt-country thing seemed to make more sense live. on the album i didn't really get it so much.....ime, etc etc it was just a facet of the overall, i guess (agreed about margot et al.)

re: beards...i went to school with a dood that had a HUGE I&W style beard....it was unfortunate...he had one of the prettiest dood faces i'd ever seen.... at least if i had a face like that....i'd have it on ad posters, fliers, milk cartons, wanted posters, whatever. just get it out there
    i know i painted you a prettier picture, baby...my fiction beats the hell out of my truth

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ampastoral
    it was unfortunate...he had one of the prettiest dood faces i'd ever seen....
    then that's likely why - a young hetero male who looks like that is at the top of the list of guys likely to hide a mug like that behind a bush. especially if they live in the inner city - it's that or get hit on everywhere they go by... let's just say not their target audience. nttawwt.

i only know this because i have a couple of nice looking hetero male college age friends who complained about this and cultivate the scruffy caveman look to counteract it.

/Grandpa LFR

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by yarble
    youre welcome:
    yarble, you have consistently awesome taste in media. when i grow up i wanna be just like you.

/Grandpa LFR